Small leak on cooling pipe, need help to confirm the leak.

TkNorris

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=353427
Hi,
I have a small leak on cooling system. Was not able to find it, so I went to a garage to investigate.
They said it's a metal cooling pipe, right side under the cylinder. It is very badly located. I want to fix it on my own.
I was partially able to reach it but I can't confirm there is a leak on this pipe. I want to see it before trying to replace this part.

I added pictures of the part that is supposed to be leaking. I would need help to know how to replace but before, do you have any tip to help in making the system to leak... Leak is small and when I look and touch I do not find the leak. Can I add pressure to the system in some ways? Or do you have any other tip?

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
There is even easier, cheaper and simple way for pressure test:
- get a spare expansion tank - new aftermarket part or used, both are cheap,
- get a wheel valve

- drill a hole the same diameter as in wheel rim in the tank and insert valve there.
Now You can build up a pressure in cooling system as simple as adding air to tire ;)

You can try to insert wheel valve in expansion tank cap, too, but it is a bit tricky and additional rework of cap is needed because originally cap contains overpressure release valve in the center.

Last edited: