Changing digital speedo from KM to Miles

Amiyanji

Reaction score
Hello,

I import quite a few Volkswagen and Audis from Japan to the UK. The digital speedo and the total mileage done on cars from Japan show in KM and that needs to be converted to show in miles. At the moment I have someone here in the UK who converts that for me but I am looking to do that myself. I know he uses VCDS software to do the conversation but which one I dont know and he will not tell me. So can you please advise me what software to buy. I have breifly looked on your website and I can see there is a 3 VIN, 10 VIN and unlimited VIN. I need more than 10 VIN but all I need to do is just convert the mileage fom KM to miles and nothing else. So please advise me what I need to buy.

I have attached a photo for one of my cars from Japan after converting from KM to miles.

Thanks

Abdul

Attachments

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Are you sure he's using VCDS to do it all? On some clusters, it's no problem, but on others, it is, and requires modifying the parameters in the EEPROM, which VCDS cannot do.

As for VCDS, it's always the same software. The question is which interface to buy. Wired only, or do you want wireless capabilities? If you're planning to do "a lot" of cars, you'll need an Unlimited-VIN license, but if you start out with a VIN-Limited one, the license can be upgraded.

-Uwe-

Amiyanji

Reaction score
Hello

Yes I am sure he uses VCDS software and I dont this he modisfies the parameters in the EPROM as I will know if he is doing that because I do that on the Toyota Prius from Japan. So at the the moment I have been not given a definete answer that if i do purchase the ross-tech VCDS software I will be able to do the mileage conversion.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Correct. You have not been given a definitive answer for we cannot be sure without knowing the components in the particular vehicle. To know them, we need to see a scan from the car. Chicken and Egg..

You have written that you are certain the person who is now doing this work for you is using VCDS. It does not matter which of our interface devices is used. VCDS is the same on those devices. Ergo: if he uses VCDS, then you should have success with VCDS. However without the scan data, we are not going to give a blanket assurance and we are not offering any guarantee on changing km to miles.

As Uwe said, you should look at an unlimited VIN product. These are available from our distribs in the UK. Ring them up and talk with them about your best option.

Reactions: Uwe