rSAP compatibility issues

pab567

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=233680
I have identified an issue with SIM cards. I used:
- 4 different phones that support rSAP: HTC One M7, HTC One M8, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5 (HTC One M7 supports rSAP after latest update to Lollipop 5.0.2)
- 2 different Superbs (both with BT Premium / GSM III module - mine with 3C8 035 730 E and my friend's 3C8 035 730 D)
- 4 different SIM cards

2 of the SIM cards allowed all phones connecting via rSAP without any issues.

2 other SIM cards were not working via rSAP:
- in both Samsungs rSAP connection was dropped after several seconds
- in both HTCs during establishing rSAP connection phone indicated that SIM card was intercepted while MaxiDot was displaying that connection is being established and after several seconds connection was completely dropped

So if you have similar issues I recommend to check and replace your SIM card before claiming your phone or BT module!!!

See the thread http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/345946-rsap-compatibility-issues/

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
The problem isn't the rSAP on the module side but rather the phones / operating systems in question - and sometimes the SIM cards themselves (though for some reason that happens mostly/only in combination with Android). The first decent rSAP implementations came from Nokia, so they had a very good track record of handling this (especially on Symbian). The other company doing very well with rSAP these days is, believe it or not - Blackberry. Their old BlackBerry OS (6/7) was already great when it comes to this but the new Blackberry 10 is working truly like a charm, I have had zero issues with this with all the Premium / rSAP systems in my VWs and Skodas.

BTW: For those who didn't know, if you want rSAP to work with your iPhone - get a different phone. :p Jokes aside, VW did notice that many of their customers are having these issues but do want the rSAP features (like in-car wifi hotspot). So their solution was an add-on SIM-card reader (P/N 5G0-051-473).

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Badly there is no pictures of this thing in web, or i can't find them.

Anyways a friend with iPhone said that he'll rather make a hotpsot with his phone then buy a 150 thing that allows to to him basically the same thing. :)

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Not the same. The VW rSAP solution doesn't just add WIFI capabilities, it also gets you all the other rSAP functions. Besides that, a phone inside a faraday cage (which the car is) will never have an as good reception than the external antenna. ;)

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
To this day, I still can't understand why Apple don't support rSAP on their BT stack. :banghead:

stuarttunstall

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=3663
I have an issue with my MY2015 Skoda Superb fitted with the Columbus radio and Premium Bluetooth.

About 6 weeks ago I started to get random disconnects/reconnects from the Premium rSap Bluetooth when using my Samsung Galaxy S3 which had worked faultless since I collected the car in July.

First thing I did was try another Galaxy Note 3 which did the same… disconnects, but reconnects a few seconds later to Premium rSap.. maybe only once per trip

In the last couple of weeks I had a brand new Galaxy Note 4 which worked faultless for 2 weeks, then on Friday on the way to the dealer disconnected from Premium rSap, thought about it for about a minute then reconnected as basic Bluetooth not premium rSap.

If I turn the ignition off and restart it connected back to Premium rSap..

Skoda told the dealer to update the software on the Columbus to rectify this… WRONG… as soon as I picked it up within a mile it disconnected from premium rSap, having then thought about it for a while would not reconnect came up failed to connect until I connected via the handset menu. It did this twice…

On Saturday it worked perfect all day on premium rSapL

Sunday It disconnected twice, once it disconnected and reconnected to premium rSap, then the second time it only reconnected to basic not premium rSap.

The dealer has now ordered a new Bluetooth module to be fitted under warranty on the 20th March… Does this sound like a module fault? It sounds to me like the car has an issue reading and staying connected to the SIM card, but has no issue when it just uses the basic Bluetooth..

Am I correct in saying the Columbus does not actually control the Bluetooth module but is just a display as all the setup is done through the MAXI-DOT in the instrument panel?

Over this weekend, Friday to today it has worked faultless, connected to Premium rSap no issues...

I suspect the dealer was told to update the software on the Columbus because he did not know the car... Skoda fit two versions of the Columbus, one in the Octavia which has integrated bluetooth so, yes, the software may have fixed it, and the other is in the Superb which has an independent module under the seat.

Stuart

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
I had this issue in my golf. And to point out, i have old red cluster and module that support only white. It has been working flawlessly. Then i changed operator and random connects, disconnects.
Took out the module from car, as usual, took to a friend who had white cluster. Deleted my old profile, made new profile. And voillaaa.....

stuarttunstall

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=3663
I am hoping that the new module cures my issue :)