HEX-NET over wifi, over a cell signal, but hear me out.. live from a racecar to the pits.. for 14 hours..?

the brit

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=73227
I don't know where this should go, and if I drank alcohol, I assume this is something that I would think of while having imbibed, so maybe this is as good a place as any?

I'm building a Mk4 Jetta TDI as an endurance 'race'car for the ChampCar series. This is a lot of fundamentally silly things involved in all of these decisions, but that's not why I'm here.

We are planning to run a WiFi hotspot inside the car so that the onboard camera can be streamed during the races. Which got me thinking that perhaps we could use that signal to have the HEX-NET communicate to a laptop in the pits (or indeed anywhere in the world).

I'm picturing a big TV in our race trailer displaying realtime temps, boost, etc and that.. well, we can clear codes and devise repairs on the fly without the car having to stop.

So, dear Ross-Tech, is this implementable in some sort of native way? Maybe it already is used in someway?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Over the public cell network? I'm thinking that won't work at all with VCDS. It may be possible with Mobile, but much would depend on the hotspot; you'll need to able to access a web-server behind that hotspot.

-Uwe-

langers2k

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224085
Throwing a raspberry pi in the car with teamviewer or similar installed might work?

That way you can access the raspberry pi and use the HEX-NET from it's web browser. From what I understand, teamviewer is still 'discoverable' even if the hotspot reconnects, changes IP etc etc.

Back