6n1 polo speedo issues

@ndyP

Reaction score
HI has anyone had an issue with their 98 polo speedo? upon cold start-up mine doesn't work for a couple of kms then it starts working without fault.
I did remove the whole dash not long ago to replace the heater matrix but it was working fine when I finished that job
it works ok later in the day so at the moment it appears to be only when it's stone cold.Could the temp sensor be contributing to the fault?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think it's unlikely that the speedo cares about a temp sensor. However, I could see where the Vehicle Speed Sensor in the transmission is having a hard time waking up on cold mornings. If it were mine, I'd look for vehicle speed in the instrument cluster's MVBs and see if you get valid readings there even when the speedo isn't working. If you'll post an Auto-Scan, we should be able to tell you exactly where to look.

-Uwe-

PS: Not sure why you posted this in Forum Support & Feedback. Moving to New Users.

@ndyP

Reaction score
I think it's unlikely that the speedo cares about a temp sensor. However, I could see where the Vehicle Speed Sensor in the transmission is having a hard time waking up on cold mornings. If it were mine, I'd look for vehicle speed in the instrument cluster's MVBs and see if you get valid readings there even when the speedo isn't working. If you'll post an Auto-Scan, we should be able to tell you exactly where to look.

-Uwe-

PS: Not sure why you posted this in Forum Support & Feedback. Moving to New Users.
sorry still navigating my way around