Sleep Mode

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
I have a narginal battery charger which I sometimes use to scan with VCDS with the engine off. I get 12.4/12V at Terminal 30/15 and after about 10 minutes and slowly falling. The charger (NOCO) is rated 5a at constant 13.6V. The major users are off, at that time except the DRLs and the car's own doings. The hood is open and ther driver's door is not blocked closed. My Q is: if the driver's door is tricked, sufficient time has passed for the car o stop worrying but the other doors and hood are active will the automatic background stuff contine?
I know that I can test for this but if somewone can provide some input it might save me some wasted time. If you can't resist answering a Q with an unhelpful Q , please don't bother. JA note.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What kind of car?

Won't the DRLs shut down if you set the parking brake?

I suspect the car won't got to sleep while you're actively scanning things.

-Uwe-

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
What kind of car?

Won't the DRLs shut down if you set the parking brake?

I suspect the car won't got to sleep while you're actively scanning things.

-Uwe-
Thanks Uwe. No, the DRlLs remain on even with parking brake on. Canadian car DRLs are sacred. I can disable them by pulling 2 40A fuses, a dmall hassle.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
here
Thanks Uwe. No, the DRlLs remain on even with parking brake on. Canadian car DRLs are sacred. I can disable them by pulling 2 40A fuses, a dmall hassle.
@morris39: Hi.

Assuming that you are referring to the auto-scan that is posted here (and also assuming that you are not religious about "sacred DRLs" :)) - you can implement the tweak for DRL off with parking-brake by changing IDE06864-ENG122184-Daytime running lights-Tagfahrlicht Dauerfahrlicht bei Handbremse abschalten to active in the BCM. At least this will remove some of the electrical current drain!!

Don

Last edited:

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
here

@morris39: Hi.

Assuming that you are referring to the auto-scan that is posted here (and also assuming that you are not religious about "sacred DRLs" :)) - you can implement the tweak for DRL off with parking-brake by changing IDE06864-ENG122184-Daytime running lights-Tagfahrlicht Dauerfahrlicht bei Handbremse abschalten to active in the BCM. At least this will remove some of the electrical current drain!!

Don
Thanks, that worked but in my that parameter is in Module09. Closing the DRLs did not make a significant improvement, Vbatt was 12.4 by DVM and 11.8 at Terminal 15/30 after 30 min. I recirded several channel maps as a test given the 11.8V indication but they worked fine. I did make a mistake by leaving the instrument panel on during the test so the DVM:VCDS voltage difference might be less.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Voltage seen by VCDS and various control modules is battery voltage less the drop in any and all wiring, fuses, relays, and connector contacts between the battery and the module in question (or the DLC's pin 16).

-Uwe-

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
Voltage seen by VCDS and various control modules is battery voltage less the drop in any and all wiring, fuses, relays, and connector contacts between the battery and the module in question (or the DLC's pin 16).

-Uwe-
Yes and on seci\ond thought I am probably wrong re DRL current draw. On Module 01 voltage on Terminal 30 and 15 was the same indicating that the current draw was lower than I saw before, ~ 0-.4 V. I left the inst. display on but I don't know if selecting blank dsiplay would have reduced the current significantly. Another test then. In sum a mediocre but acceptable situation with my charger.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Thanks, that worked but in my that parameter is in Module09.
@morris39: no "but" needed - that's precisely the hex address for all BCM s on MQB platform vehicles!!!:)

Don
Top-Tip: This forum has a kind-of lexicon that explains terms in common usage - hover your mouse over the word " BCM ". Very handy indeed!!

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
@morris39: no "but" needed - that's precisely the hex address for all BCM s on MQB platform vehicles!!!:)

Don
Top-Tip: This forum has a kind-of lexicon that explains terms in common usage - hover your mouse over the word " BCM ". Very handy indeed!!
Thanks and beg your pardon. My car's name for Module 09 is Central Elaectric and I did not know that BCM means the same thing.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect you will need a different battery charger. I used one rated for 10 Amps (actual output was closer to 7) for the longest time but it struggled with our 2012 Tiggy SEL (older Mk6/PQ35 platform but packed with equipment). Years later I got a 2017 Alltrack SEL and it could NOT keep up with that car. I ended up getting one of these when it was on sale for $80 USD

.. and it actually keeps up with my husband's power hungry Touareg! Per the last scan on that vehicle:

End----------(Elapsed Time: 02:22, VBatt start/end: 14.0V/14.4V)-----------

Although I never measured the Amperage output or tried the dual battery charging function (which would require additional leads) I've seen it spike to 30A with his key on/engine off with after run coolant fans blowing away and I've never flattened a battery since while scanning. I'm reasonably confident the 30 Amp rating is accurate and the Voltage is stable.

You may or may not have success with that exact model but I am more than happy with the performance for home garage use at that the price point. I keep one in my Amazon cart at all times so I get price alerts and I'll likely grab a spare if it ever drops to $80 again.

Reactions: Uwe