P0016 after chain replacement

gigi123

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=30490
2013 GLI with 2.0T CBFA engine, has new timing chain with all correct parts. Sets code P0016. All marks are correct (I've done probably 20-30 chains before without any problems), and it looked like nobody worked on the car before (so I kinda exclude the possible wrong install/indexing for the crank gear). Moving piston 1 up (screwdriver is spark plug method) shows correct position of camshaft marks. Any idea where to start? Or what most probable?
It's apart now and I would like to check mechanical stuff before I put it all together and check field 93.
Thanks

gigi123

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=30490
Oil Control Valve will be the first thing I am checking in the morning. I know the oil screen was good. But I didn't know that oil control valve can come apart (and maybe send pieces in the VVT sprocket). Any more ideas? Thank you again

gigi123

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=30490
I found the problem. Front timing marks looked good. But the camshaft "dent" on intake was advanced. I moved it back with the 18mm wrench and it moved and locked in place. I suspect debris (maybe previous oil screen) is inside the VVT vanes. I will replace camshaft along with oil control valve and bridge. Lesson to be learned: visual inspection of the indentations on camshafts is highly recommend it. Thank you all

Reactions: Uwe