ECU coded wrong

sweddie76

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
hi there does any1 know where i could get the coding for my ecu the car is a 2003 Audi a3 8p, vag com says my ecu is coded wrong?????i can put the code in myself i just need the right code to enter its a 7 digit code any help would be much appreciated as its burning my head out now. The error code is 18020 p1612.

sweddie76

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
ok ill see if i can get a screenshot of the auto scan and post it thanks.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

sweddie76

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Thursday, 17 September 2020, 20:29:03.

Chassis Type: 8L - Audi A3/S3
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,22,35,37,45,55,56,57,75,76

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 06A-906-033-APF.LBL
Controller: 06A 906 033 BB
Component: SIMOS71 1.6l 2V 5312
Coding: 0000001
Shop #: WSC 06435
VCID: 60B32383F35B
2 Faults Found:
18020 - Engine Control Module Incorrectly Coded
P1612 - 008 - Implausible Signal
16784 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0400 - 008 - Please Register/Activate
Readiness: N/A

End --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is the auto scan i just did using an unregistered version of vcds lite the chassis type is wrong mine is an 8p Audi a3 but vcds lite does not list my vehicle i normally use an older version of vagcom but its on my other computer i hope this helps??? this is all that vcds will scan on my car at the moment???

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
VCDS-Lite cannot talk to most of the modules in an 8P car because they require a direct CAN bus connection for diagnostics.

It is not possible to determine how/why your ECU thinks its coded incorrectly without a complete scan.

-Uwe-

sweddie76

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
I've used vag com 311 fully registered and it says the same thing I've also taken it to my work (volkswagen) and there diagnostics say the same thing its having trouble cumunicating with other modules ie abs??

Viking

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151455
Vag Com ceased to exist about 13 years ago and has been called VCDS since then. If you're still using Vag Com then you're some years behind the game. I'd suggest getting a scan done with the latest version of VCDS and see what that results with, then post that scan in its entirety here. Currently the latest version can be downloaded free from here.

https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/current.php

sweddie76

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
I've got limited fund so can't afford the latest vcds car has cost me enough already :mad: as I mentioned i took the car into my work and put a £3000 snap on diagnostics on the car and that came back with the same error? Ecu coded wrong we then checked with the latest vcds also came back with the same error? I've checked on erwin audi but still can not find the code for my ecu? Even after paying for the service from what I've learned the ecu controls nearly everything so if that's not coded right its causing problems with all the other modules communicating? Did I mention the car sat for 6 months with a flat battery and this is when all my problems started? Thanks for all your help guys :thumbs:

Bruce

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
OP, the creator of VAG-COM and VCDS, along with others, have told you that VCDS-Lite nor VAG-COM would support diagnostics on an 8P Audi A3 because the A3 uses CAN for diagnostics and VCDS-Lite nor VAG-COM 311 support CAN.

You mentioned you have a fully registered VAG-COM 311. If that be true, there is an upgrade program available to you to buy a new interface that will support your Audi A3.

If you are not in the market for an interface then there is not much we can do to assist for you do not have a tool that will allow you to do the work needed. More posts will not change these facts.

sweddie76

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Is there any chance u could tell me what i need then?thanks.

Bruce

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
On the Ross-Tech website, you will find a blue bar under our logo. In the middle of that bar is the word "Upgrades" On the upgrade page, you may qualify for option 1 - an outright upgrade whereby Ross-Tech gives you a $100 credit for the software registration you purchased.

You'll note that you have options to several products. The HEX-V2 is a wired system for running VCDS (on a Windows PC only). The HEX-NET is our most advanced device that allows the user to run VCDS wired or wireless (on a Windows PC) or to use the included second licensed software VCDS-Mobile on any device that has WiFi and a web browser.

Both the HEX-V2 and the HEX-NET are compatible with your Audi A3.

sweddie76

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Thanks ill check them out not sure about the upgrade as I bought the setup from a friend a long long time ago thanks for all ur help.

Bruce

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
If you did not register it with us, then you do not qualify for the upgrade. Second hand owners only qualify if they paid to register their purchase with Ross-Tech.

sweddie76

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Not sure if he did not in contact anymore think ill just go with the hex-v2 in the end thanks

Bruce

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Has nothing to do with what he did. Has everything to do with what you did after you paid him for the unit.

Software licenses are not transferable party to party without paying a fee. As you are purchasing the HEX-V2, it is a bit of a moot point.

Understand that the V2 you are purchasing has a license associated with it. That license is only valid for you. If you sell the unit to others, and if they want Ross-Tech support, they will need to pay to transfer the license from you to their name. Their fee to do this is $99. That $99 for you is included in your V2 purchase.

sweddie76

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
I did nothing just used the setup on the laptop I got off him that was over 9 years ago and ain't used it till recently so I'm a bit new to all the new stuff that is available now should have stuck with my 30 year old transit less hassle and no electronics to fix :) thanks again for all your help with this problem.