A4 B6 1.8T Brake Job

mnataloni

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=348267
Hi,

I am looking to change the calipers on my Audi a4 and was curious if anyone has had any experience with bleeding the brakes when air has gotten into the system? Things to note below:
- I have a A4 B6 with the ESP system which I have heard uses a different procedure to bleed than the non ESP/ABS.
- I have a manual 5 speed transmission

Questions:
- What is the bleeding pattern for the calipers?
- How does clutch slave cylinder work with the brake system?
- Does the ABS module need to be burped on this generation? I heard the b5 needed this.
- What are the torque specs for the calipers, slides, and brake hoses?
- With new rotors and pads, should they be bedded in? If so what's the procedure

Basically looking to get an idea of things to consider and things that may be needed so I'm prepared. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

Whenever I disconnect a brake caliper, whether it is for a repair or a replacement, I use a wooden brake pedal depressor/rod to hold down the brake pedal just enough to stop the flow of brake fluid out of the open brake lines. There will be a little pressure built up on the lines at the caliper, so be careful of the brake fluid when opening the line and be sure the rod does not fall down.

Once the work has completed and the brake lines are secured and the system is sealed, I depress the pedal a few times to build pressure and then open the bleeder screws one at a time to let the majority of the air out. Then I use a pressure bleeder to help bleed the rest of the air out.

I suggest following the repair procedures and safety precautions found in these manuals.

Official Factory Repair Information

Hope this helps,

drpeter

Reactions: Uwe

Larhal

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295910
I just replaced my rear calliper's, on my A4 B6, as the adjusters were shot. So long as you do not let the brake fluid reservoir run dry as you are changing the callipers you wont have to worry about the ABS system When I changed the rears I started the bleed with the side farthest away from the reservoir, Right Rear, then Left rear, right front, left front. I used a pressure bleeder I got off of eBay for 29£ to flush the system. Used 2 Litres of fluid during the change and flush. Pressure Bleeder rocks. Brake fluid reservoir also feeds the Clutch. There is a bleed tap on the slave cylinder.