Shiny New Forum Software!

Robert-VW

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=423656
Any plans for introduction of " push notifications " ?

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Avatars didn't transfer very cleanly from the old forum software. Please try re-uploading it.

-Uwe-

Well, I used a 425 x 425 pixel JPEG but it is still blurred. Would using a png file work better? Edit: Disregard. It turns out the avatar is sharp AFTER you actually post your message; it is still blurry next to the "Write your reply..." section.

On another topic, I used to receive one email per day telling me there were new posts in the forum I follow; now I'm getting a notice for each individual post. I went to the preference section of my account but couldn't see how to change back to the once per day setting. How do I do that?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
On another topic, I used to receive one email per day telling me there were new posts in the forum I follow; now I'm getting a notice for each individual post. I went to the preference section of my account but couldn't see how to change back to the once per day setting. How do I do that?
Not sure. Perhaps @Santos has some ideas?

-Uwe-

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Was the "once per day email" sent from the new Xenforo forum software? or was it in our old forum? I don't see anything obvious in the forum settings that allow a once per day email. i'll keep digging.

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Was the "once per day email" sent from the new Xenforo forum software? or was it in our old forum? I don't see anything obvious in the forum settings that allow a once per day email. i'll keep digging.

Old forum. I'd been deleting the individual emails unread until I realized the daily update was no longer coming. I prefer that as clicking the link would take me directly to the forum so I could read all the new posts at one sitting. With the individual emails I have to stop what I'm doing to read each one individually.

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Old forum. I'd been deleting the individual emails unread until I realized the daily update was no longer coming. I prefer that as clicking the link would take me directly to the forum so I could read all the new posts at one sitting. With the individual emails I have to stop what I'm doing to read each one individually.

Any update, Santos?

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
the forum doesn't natively support a daily "digest" of posts. I've looked through the plugins that are available and nothing seems to offer that functionality.

I'll keep an eye out, if something new pops up, i'll test it.

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Bummer. Very poor software design. vBulletin is better, but probably more expensive to license.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Very poor software design. vBulletin is better,
Pfffft.

It's a forum, not a mailing list. If I were using that feature at all, I would set up a filter in my e-mail to automatically and immediately move all forum notifications to their own folder, where I could then peruse them at my leisure (once a day or whatever). Wait, you say your e-mail doesn't support that? Well then it's poorly designed. :p

-Uwe-

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
It is just the fact that since digest post notification has been a standard of all forums I've been on for the last 15 - 20 years, that I'm surprised it wasn't included from the get go by this software vendor. As for email software, I still miss Eudora and have always found Mail.app to be "poorly designed"! :D

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
A query on the search function:

Is there a way to search for an exact phrase?
I was searching for crash data earlier and seemed to get any thread that contained crash or data.
I tried the usual search engine operators ("crash data", +crash +data) and looked in the Advanced Search options, but no luck.

Am I missing something obvious?

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Am I missing something obvious?

Nope, nothing obvious. I checked the xenforo support forum and found a few threads asking about the same thing. The general consensus was its normal behavior for mysql search and its terrible. i'll keep digging and get back to you if i find anything more info.

Both TDIclub.com and vwvortex.com now run xenforo, and have the same search issues with "crash data" . We may have to see if there are other search add-ons that can filter better.

Last edited:
Back