Shiny New Forum Software!

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Also, the SSL Certificate is fine but it appears you are allowing non-secure embedded content like #12 by @Mike@Gendan which breaks the entire SSL security on the page and results in both desktop and mobile browsers claiming the connection is insecure.
Funnily enough I just got my host to enable autoSSL to address that, but as it's been too long since I posted I can't edit the URL of the image

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Funnily enough I just got my host to enable autoSSL to address that, but as it's been too long since I posted I can't edit the URL of the image

You may want to look into forcing HTTPS via .htaccess and/or respectively the actual SSL setup for your domain(s). That would force browsers to switch from http to https even though the original link is http. That said, it won't solve the underlaying issue here - I'd assume there ought to be an option to make sure non-encrypted links are excluded (for embedded content).

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
I noticed that well all also have the VCDS Serial number listed in the box tot the left of our posts (with the username, status, join date etc)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
In looking for posts to overcome USB Interface Not Found fixes, it seems like some old posts (at least two years old) can no longer be found. This thread (16473) from 2018 is ok, but the older thread it referenced (147344) cannot be found. Is the new forum software creating any difficulties with old/archived threads?
Hmm, most of the issues with vB4 style links to old threads have been fixed, but it seems you found one that still needs to be addressed. @Santos ?

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I noticed that well all also have the VCDS Serial number listed in the box tot the left of our posts (with the username, status, join date etc)
Yes, if there's something in that field, it will be shown there. For any Verified User this will be like yours (C?ID=284912) which meaningless except to RT staff. For us, that's a shortcut to your customer record in our CRM/ERP system, so it's very convenient for us to have there. I do not think this is a privacy concern because it is useless info to anyone who doesn't have access to that system. For "New Members' it may be something else, or blank, depending on what we know about them.

-Uwe-

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
Still nice to see Uwes and Sebastians VCDS Serial Number. :)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Still nice to see Uwes and Sebastians VCDS Serial Number. :)
Well, my serial number is the very first HEX-COM, which I did have and use for a while back in the early 2000s, but sadly lost track of. I'm gonna edit Seb's..

-Uwe-

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This thread (16473) from 2018 is ok, but the older thread it referenced (147344) cannot be found. Is the new forum software creating any difficulties with old/archived threads?

Its very weird. if you go into the thread again and click the link, it now works. I think the redirection plugin takes a bit to update when its clicked.

the hyper link you provided looked to be modified with the redirect plugin:

reported broken link:
Code:
  https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php/threads?7147-Updated-to-Release-18-9-and-Having-Trouble-Read-This-Thread&p=147344&viewfull=1#post147344

Vs the old thread:

Code:
 https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?7147-Updated-to-Release-18-9-and-Having-Trouble-Read-This-Thread&p=147344&viewfull=1#post147344

and the new result:
Code:
 https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/7147/page-2#post-147344

Reactions: Uwe

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
As it's running on the same domain (and subdomain) as the previous forum software it may be worth clearing all ross-tech.com cookies and temporary files, in case something left over from vb isn't playing nicely with xen?
Fixed by adding https://to my shortcut, seems the "no cookies" message was misleading!

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Very minor issue, but the new software no longer appears to have a favicon.ico associated with it?

Could be worth copying the one across from the main RT site?

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
it was done at the time i liked the post. should take a bit to update. :thumbs:

edit: i forgot to enter the url path in the settings. it should load instantly now.

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Oooh, it even shows a little red dot against it if you have notifications - fancy!

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
where are my private messages and the list of threads I was subscribed too?

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
where are my private messages and the list of threads I was subscribed too?
Private messages are conversations - click the envelope icon to the right of your username on the top menu bar.

For subscribed threads click "Forums" on the left hand end of the menu bar, and select Watched Threads from the drop-down menu.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Maybe it's already reported, if so please ignore, but when I was trying to send Private Message to Uwe from my phone, every time I hit enter on the keyboard, it did close the keyboard. Re-clicking on message box did open it up though and was on new-line.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Maybe it's already reported, if so please ignore, but when I was trying to send Private Message to Uwe from my phone, every time I hit enter on the keyboard, it did close the keyboard. Re-clicking on message box did open it up though and was on new-line.
Funny, the IBM Model M keyboard attached to my desktop PC never closes. :p

Seriously, I'm not sure what to tell you about the behavior of virtual keyboard on your phone.

-Uwe-

ETA: Keyboard discussion continues here.

Last edited:

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
The text formatting does not work inside Code tags
Code:
text formatting
I formatted "text formatting" inside Code the same way as above (red, underlined), it looks ok while composing message but disappears after posting it.

• Agree
Reactions: Uwe
Back