Can VCDS reset a door control module?

Fugazi

Reaction score
Hello!
Vehicle:2018 Golf Sportwagen Comfortline (canada) w/ Lighting Package and Drivers assistance

I'm thinking about purchasing a Hex-V2 cable to help me re program (42)drivers door control module 5Q0959593B. Currently i use long coding in OBD11 to do any modifications

My car came with the low line modules 5Q0959393/2 B and I upgraded the modules from a set i purchased on ebay to install some OEM power folding mirrors i purchased. The problem is that after installing the door control modules, and copying my coding from the old modules to the new modules: my front drivers window control and mirror controls seem to have gone haywire.

Drivers door window switches: pressing down on front driver and front passenger makes them go up, and pressing up makes them go down. The rear portion of the drivers door switch works perfectly, up and down make the rear windows go up and down as usual. My unlock door switch locks the car, and pressing lock will unlock the car.
The worst culprit is the mirror control switch.
  • When i had power folding mirrors enabled, turning it to the fold-in position would cause the drivers side to fold out, and passenger side to fold in.
  • When i turned it to any other position the drivers side will fold in, and passenger side will fold out.
  • The mirror control dial when in the left position: Left turns the mirror to the right, right turns the mirror to the left, up and down work fine.
  • The Right dial position is completely reversed: Left is down, Right is up, Up is Right, and Down is Left.
  • Turning the dial to the heated mirror position has no effect, and I dont think the heated mirrors are turning on.
  • All other features of the mirror work fine (blind spot monitoring and signals)

I'm wondering if this is something that can be resolved by using a more powerful tool like VCDS instead of my android tablet with OBD11? I dont even see any settings inside the OBD11 to change how the window regulator switch works, or the mirror switch, or the unlock switch. My understanding is that the door control modules are not protected by CP so it should not require ODIS.

Is VCDS capable of doing a full reset of the door control module? Or is this something I will need to take into the dealership or get a third party shop to look at?

Thank you and any help is appreciated greatly!

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
It sounds more like you didnt code the new module. Normally when replacing a module you save the coding from the old module and paste it in the new one. Same goes for a new module with more functionality, after pasting old coding you just go from there changing the coding to enable the desired functionality.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
To be 100% sure we will need to see a full unedited VCDS Auto-Scan of your Golf - see my sig for a link to a How-To.

Having said that as you have OBD11 maybe if you ask on their support forum someone will be able to advise if their tool can help?

Reactions: Uwe

Fugazi

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies.

Mastertommy: I followed this method as you described it, by creating a backup of my original door module, and coding the new one exactly. The long coding was the exact same. I then turned on the required coding for the folding mirrors as per the instructions that came with the mirrors. I don't even see any settings in the long coding or adaptations to change how the mirror control works.

PetrolDave; The link in your signature doesnt seem to work. I also did create a post on the OBD11 forums but nobody has responded.

Thought i would just reach out here to see if anyone has any advice or recommendations. I think at this point i will probably reach out to a shop that maybe has access to ODIS and can flash the module.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Fugazi:Hi

Notwithstanding that your new door modules have a software switch in long code for left/right steering - are you sure that they are truly ambidextrous? I'm guessing, but it sounds from your description like you are using a RHD module on a LHD car. There are lots of versions of 5Q0959593B - see here . Does the part number on the module housings contain a "Z0x" extension number - maybe?
Don

AINils

VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
Door ECU need specific datatset for every car, so you can't use it only by retrofit.

Fugazi

Reaction score
s-l1600.jpg

Here is a photo of the control unit in question. I don't see any Z0X extension. When I put in the door control module, one of the settings i changed while copying my long code over was change from Right hand Steering to left hand steering.

AlNils, what exactly does this mean? Can VCDS accomplish this? What if i were to buy a brand new module from the dealership, would I be able to code it to work on my vehicle from scratch?

Thank you all for your replies.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^^^^the photo confirms that your module is ambidextrous. See the white square on the top RHS of the housing -the shaded boxes show where the module can be positioned on right (RL) and left (LL) hand drive cars (it's a driver side module- not surprisingly!). So what happens if you select the opposite side in long code?

Don

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^^^^it seems that the new forum platform has a 10 minute rule which means i can't add further comments to my previous post after that time !!

As to @NLNils point - this is clearly a used module which I assume from your description had a RHD data-set as factory programmed. The data-set is a bit like module firmware (incidentally, VCDS cannot change this data-set). I'm not sure if this means that it can't be used on a LHD car - perhaps @NLNils can confirm ?

Fugazi

Reaction score
I did not test it out much, just briefly I tried switching to RHD to see what would happen. I only tested the window switches briefly, but ticking the module to RHD caused the passenger window to go down when i pressed the driver side button and and driver side window to go down when i pressed the passenger side window. (up was still down, down still up) I can do a more extensive test tomorrow to see how all the functions react.

Yes that would be great to know if there is any hope for this module to be usable.

I'm currently trying to weigh the options of:

A) Bringing it to a shop that can reset the firmware, if possible.
B) Purchasing a new fresh one from the dealer and recoding myself. Is this possible? Do fresh never used modules need to have the firmware set, or would my ECU automatically share some basic information when first connected to power?

Thanks again everyone. All this information has proved very informative, even if it's not exactly what i was hoping to hear.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Fugazi: As @AINils has indicated - definitely don't buy brand new door modules from a dealer because they won't have any dataset information - and as I said, VCDS can't fix this. If you are contemplating a "fresh-one" - source it/them from a 2nd hand LHD car.

Don

Fugazi

Reaction score
Thanks again, Don.

I will look for another used one. Hopefully from a LHD vehicle. Im disappointed that the previous one was listed as being from LHD vehicle but was in-fact RHD. Strange that the seller, based out of the US, would have a RHD module.