Grouping Measuring Values

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
I need help to group values from Controllers 01 and 02. My car S3 (8v) is on UDS and there are no DTCs (I have posted comp. Autoscans here) What I did: opened a file DSG.csv in a new VCDS folder, Value Groups. I could only open the new folder from the main screen, not from Select screen and then selected GP 01 values (4) and chose Log. I then had to restart VCDS and repeart for GP 02 as above. When I exited VCDS logging of GP01 stopped but GP02 logged OK. Repeated couple of times but no joy.
The file exists and can be loaded but only accepts the last GP chosen.So I need more detailed instruction it seems.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You can't read data from 01-Engine and 02-Transmission at the same time.

-Uwe-

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
Thanks. Do you mean just GP 01 & 02 cannot be combined or any different groups? If the latter the Manual description is misleading or I can't read.and troo bad.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Thanks. Do you mean just GP 01 & 02 cannot be combined or any different groups? If the latter the Manual description is misleading or I can't read.and troo bad.
Perhaps we have a terminology issue. What do you mean by "GP"?

-Uwe-

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
Group= grouping of measuring values under a master controller e.g. 01 Engine.My attempt was to combine the engine 01 and transmission 02 measuring values.I wanted to determine how long/far is required to bring the DSG temperature to specified temperature for level measurement and/or cool down. As the laptop is on the back seat (I'm alone) I need to log.not observe.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Group= grouping of measuring values under a master controller e.g. 01 Engine.My attempt was to combine the engine 01 and transmission 02 measuring values.I wanted to determine how long/far is required to bring the DSG temperature to specified temperature for level measurement and/or cool down. As the laptop is on the back seat (I'm alone) I need to log.not observe.
OK, I suppose I did understand you correctly then.

No, you cannot access 01-Engine and 02-Auto Trans at the same time.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that this is possible. Can you please tell us what in our documentation led you to think that it is?

-Uwe-

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
This Support Screen:Online Demo / Manual - Advanced Measuring Values
This sentence:This function expands on the Measuring Blocks function and lets you select up to 12 measuring values from as many as 12 different groups from a selection dialog that shows the contents of the measuring values.
Down to meaning of: different; measuring values; groups

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
This Support Screen:Online Demo / Manual - Advanced Measuring Values
This sentence:This function expands on the Measuring Blocks function and lets you select up to 12 measuring values from as many as 12 different groups from a selection dialog that shows the contents of the measuring values.
Down to meaning of: different; measuring values; groups
The groups have to be within one module, if you could have groups from multiple modules then the word "modules" would have appeared in that description.

Note to Ross-Tech: may be worth adding a specific note that the groups can only be from one module?

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
Consider changing "This function expands on the Measuring Blocks function and lets you select up to 12 measuring values from as many as 12 different groups from a selection dialog that shows the contents of the measuring values"

to: "This function expands on the Measuring Blocks function and lets you select up to 12 measuring values from any one of 12 different groups from a selection dialog that shows the contents of the measuring values"

A bit pedantic,no? It would be helpful to have formatting to clarify.
Thanks Dave.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Consider changing "This function expands on the Measuring Blocks function and lets you select up to 12 measuring values from as many as 12 different groups from a selection dialog that shows the contents of the measuring values".
A "Group" is not a control module. ;)

But I have clarified the wording on that page.

-Uwe-