Tiguan AD1 - Personalization

bjornix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=222439
I have created separate user profiles for me and the missus. Since she drives more than me, and also because she probably wouldn't remember to explicitly select her own user profile every time, we placed her profile at the top, making it the default choice.

When I use the car with this setup, as soon as the car is unlocked, everything is reset according to her preferences since her profile will be selected by default. This is expected, but in particular regarding seat position this is also somewhat annoying. Each time the car is unlocked it will go to her prefered seat position, and when I start the car and select my own user profile it will go back to my prefered seat position. If I make three stops on my way home that's six times back and forth with the seat.

I think the way we are intended to solve this is by assigning a separate key to each user profile, but we actually prefer to have one shared main key and one spare key. Are there any options that would allow us to do so, but still solve my problem?

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
I think you can assign the profiles to individual key. There's an option for that in the car menu in MIB unit. It's the same menu where you define the profiles.

I think the way we are intended to solve this is by assigning a separate key to each user profile, but we actually prefer to have one shared main key and one spare key. Are there any options that would allow us to do so, but still solve my problem?
Now this is somewhat contradicting what you're asking. How would the car know who is using the car? The key is the only way to separate the profiles. Otherwise you just need to remember to select the profile when you start the car but naturally the seat is first in your wife's driving position.

What if you create a 3rd profile and put that at the top as a default profile. That profile would have the seat position stored to somewhere in the middle and both of you need to choose your own profile then?

Reactions: Uwe

Mari

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=150535
Third profile... than his problem will be the same...

... If I make three stops on my way home that's six times back and forth with the seat.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
^ That's true

bjornix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=222439
Now this is somewhat contradicting what you're asking. How would the car know who is using the car? The key is the only way to separate the profiles.
I understand that full automation is only possible by "identifying" ourselves with individual keys. I'm fine with manually selecting my user profile.

What if you create a 3rd profile and put that at the top as a default profile.
As @Mari said, this wouldn't really solve the problem. Also, my wife would then have to explicitly select her user profile, which I'm sure she would forget every now and then. Over time the 3rd "neutral" profile would just become her second personal profile instead.

As an example, one solution might be that the car does not default to her preferences when unlocked. Instead it waits until the profile list is displayed in the AID and if nothing is explicitly selected from that list before it goes away (10 sec or so) it will change preferences according to her profile, which will then be the selected one. I guess this is probably not an option since it may be considered a safety issue if the seat starts adjusting itself after driving for 10 seconds. Maybe there are similar options available.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
As the seat is probably the biggest issue, why not just use the memory positions on the seat? Have one profile and use the different seat memories to set the seat to correct position. You can enable easy entry with VCDS coding if not enabled already. That will help getting in and out for a bit.

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
As the seat is probably the biggest issue, why not just use the memory positions on the seat? Have one profile and use the different seat memories to set the seat to correct position. You can enable easy entry with VCDS coding if not enabled already. That will help getting in and out for a bit.
This^ The 1-2-3 buttons on the memory seats are stored separately from the selected user, and if you have electric mirrors with memory option the mirrors will also move to the saved position.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Another solution: Buy a third key. That way you can each have your own key that identifies you to the car and still keep a spare key at home. :)

-Uwe-

bjornix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=222439
This^ The 1-2-3 buttons on the memory seats are stored separately from the selected user, and if you have electric mirrors with memory option the mirrors will also move to the saved position.
Using seat memory would just be an alternative way of getting the seat back to my preferred position, but it still doesn't solve the problem of the seat moving to the last position on the default profile as the car is unlocked. It might have worked if there was a coding option to have the seat ignore the current user profile setting.

Another solution: Buy a third key. That way you can each have your own key that identifies you to the car and still keep a spare key at home. :)
I guess I was hoping there would be some coding options for tweaking this behavior, but it seems there is not. The easiest is probably to change our habits and start using separate keys :)

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Is easy entry enabled on the memory seat? That moves the seat back when you turn ignition off so at least getting in and out is easier if the drivers have big height difference.