Address 4B: Multifunc. Module Interface not compatible v upgrade from Hex-Can Dual-K

silverfox5678

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=76468
I've just run an auto scan using VCDS 20.4.2 through my HEX+CAN Dual-K & CAN <-> USB interface (genuine) cable for VCDS. I was checking a family member's (new) 2018 Skoda Octavia Estate, UK specification with 7k miles recorded. All VCDS modules worked well with minor vehicle faults identified, that I've now fixed. That is except for the one error message: "Address 4B: Multifunc. Module, interface not compatible, upgrade to latest Ross-Tech interface".

As my 6 year old Golf has been working well for the past 3 years, I've not needed to use VCDS apart from resetting the Golf's service interval. Clearly there's been a lot of development with VCDS recently. So I'd appreciate help with the following:

1. What does Address 4B relate to, what does that module control. Adaptive Front Light system maybe and or the Fan Control Module?
2. What are the Ross-Tech upgrade options I could look at. How much do they cost for a low-volume user.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I believe it's mostly for the fancy lights, and I think you will find other modules hidden behind that one if you're using a current interface. That module (and the ones behind it) use addressing that we were not able to support with the HEX+CAN. 16 KB of space for code seemed like plenty when the HEX+CAN was designed, but now, not so much.

Any of our current interfaces will work. Which one you choose depends on how many cars you wish to work on and whether you want WiFi connectivity and VCDS-Mobile too.

Discounted, trade-in upgrades are also available here, but given the costs of shipping both ways across the pond, it may be more cost effective to sell your HEX+CAN privately and buy a new interface locally; I'm not sure.

-Uwe-

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
What Uwe said.

4B Multifunct. module replaces the 'old' 55 Headlight range controller. 4B also supports LED headlights with individually controlled LED-segments (like the high-end LED headlights on VW/Seat/Skoda and Audi Matrix light) where DLA/HBA isnt done by shutters in the headlight or just turning the headlight on and off/ but rather turning individual LED-segments on and off.

If you scan your car you'll also see 4 other modules appear, two control modules for each headlight (theyre mounted on/inside the headlight) that are slaves of the 4B control unit and act as actuators.

The Multifunction part of the control module description refers to the fact that in Audi's, this module also controls seat ventilation and inflatable parts of the seat.

Reactions: Uwe