2020 Audi A7 (C8) Start/Stop tweak help!

UltraFudd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273170
I would like to reverse the function of my Start/Stop selector switch if possible so that the vehicle default setting is OFF and a press of the button activates it.

I'm concerned that with the 48 VDc mild hybrid system that this may not be possible because it appears that the electrics are designed to smooth out moving the car from a dead stop until the engine takes over the car's acceleration.

Any help / thoughts / tweaks are appreciated! Start / Stop can be highly annoying, and I see it as a safety detriment, when, for example, you're waiting to turn left at an intersection and the hesitation when starting the engine may cause an unaccepable delay.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Is there actually a physical switch in that car?

On the C8 A6, it's a "soft" switch and we've found no way to make it happen.

-Uwe-

UltraFudd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273170
Soft switch on the lower center display panel, uses touch activation.

You’re right, it’s got to be software.

I’ll go back to “foot off the brake and feather the throttle up until the engine takes over”.

Hope springs eternal!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Soft switch on the lower center display panel, uses touch activation.
OK, just like the A6 then; not surprising, considering they're so closely related.

You’re right, it’s got to be software.
VAG has made it impossible to disable S/S on the latest cars via software, or at I'm not aware of anyone having found a way. Now on the cars that still have a hardware switch, there's a little plug in module that fools the car into thinking the switch has been pressed once shortly after start-up. Of course, that won't work with a "soft" button.

I’ll go back to “foot off the brake and feather the throttle up until the engine takes over”.
Why not just push the dang (soft) button when you're in places or traffic conditions that warrant it?

-Uwe-

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
I like the "always drive in Sport mode" solution. Just pull the stupid shift selector twice. I don't have much experience driving the C8 but I assume that still works (it does in the B9 A4).

davedavez

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=372334
Sport mode seems to disable start/stop in my C8. It's become habit to smack the lever into S whenever I need to pass or merge in a tight environment. Helps avoid the throttle lag these cars suffer from.

@UltraFudd, the 48V system in these cars do not drive the car. No electric-only propulsion.