Measuring Blocks; very little info showing

PlanetNZ

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=414771
Audi A6 2.8 2000

Recently registered Lite trying to identify and confirm a misfire (I pretty well now its coil related) however

On Measuring blocks Engine- (16 17) there is no misfire info data or tags only "Bin" in fact in most measuring blocks on all moduals has the same lack of any info but this did show on the demo version before it was registered?

What is going on?

Cheers

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
There is no difference in groups up to 025 between the unregistered shareware and the fully registered version of VCDS-Lite. The unregistered version simply blocks access to to groups 026-255 (and 000). See the bottom of the Measuring Blocks page in the VCDS-Lite Manual:
https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/manual/measblocks.html

I suspect what's causing this is that your car has an ECU that doesn't do misfire detection. Misfire detection became mandatory with OBD-II. That was required in MY 1996 in the USA, 1998 in Canada, but not until 2001 in the EU (for petrol engines). I don't know when it became mandatory in NZ. As a general rule, VW-Audi didn't put such "features" in cars until it was actually required.

I remember looking at late 1990s VR6s in Europe. My 1997 US model had a fully OBD-II compliant ECU with misfire detection, a second (post-CAT) oxygen sensor, and so on, whereas European ones didn't.

All that said, it wouldn't hurt if it's post an Auto-Scan so we can see exactly what ECU your car has.

-Uwe-