2003 Audi A4 Tranmission Issue

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
So I was driving my Audi today and as I was about to pull into a parking lo, I heard zapping noise from the front and all of the sudden my car would not drive. I tried to put it in park and it would just roll. The car had been driving fine. I left it where it is on the side of the street and will have to go get it later. haven't hooked up the vcds to it yet. Not sure if the tranny gave out or if it is something like cable broke or linkage issue. It an 2003 so not sure if I will fix it or not. I t was just odd that I could not park it as it seemed it was stuck in neautral and will not reverse or drive, just engine rev. had to put the emergency brake on just to stop it from moving. Any idea? The zapping noise was quite alarming.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Could be a broken axle or CV joint rather than the transmission.

Was there no indication of a transmission malfunction in the instrument cluster?

-Uwe-

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
No indicator on the cluster. I replaced the drivers side cv axle about 6 months ago myself and.didnt have any issues. The passenger side one was replaced 2 years ago so i guess it could be either one of those. Would i get an error on the imstrument cluster if it was the tranny? I will have to run over and hook up the scanner.to it when i grt a chance

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Would i get an error on the imstrument cluster if it was the tranny?
It depends on the nature of the failure; whether it's something the TCU can detect. If so, they tend not to be shy about putting the PRNDS display into reverse video or flashing it or whatever. Of course there are also possible failures that the TCU wouldn't be able to detect, in which case scanning the car will not likely reveal anything either.

-Uwe-

cschmitz20

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=385099
The only fault code is related thr tiptronic but i think thats unrelated as that code has been on there for months and didnt appeat to affect anything

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Well do let us know what you find when you get a good look under the car.

-Uwe-

Back