VCDS lite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venomous_Sinz

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
Hi. I'm thinking that I would like to start out with VCDS lite just to start out. I sort of want to make sure I'll be keeping this car for a while. If so then I'll upgrade after I have the money.

Questions....
With VCDS lite, can I look at the value blocks of sensors?

Will it diagnose bad sensors like oxygen sensors, crank(rpm sensor)?

Does the lite version come with a cable? so far I have looked at a few of the ebay cables and none are able to be hooked up to a 2000 Passat. Not really sure why? I also read about the chip set in the cable that works better, searched for that and did not have much luck either, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. What cable would you recommend for starting lite if you're able to say, I would understand why you wouldn't.

Thanks

Venomous_Sinz

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
From what I see on your site, It says that a KKL cable will work on a b5 Passat(2000), but I'm having trouble finding one anywhere. It all ends at MK4. Which I assume is the b4. Correct me if I am wrong? So with what I am understanding is that I need the CAN-Bus cable to look at anything on my car?

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
No, for a 2000 Passat, you do diagnostics via the KLines. A KKL wire and VCDS-Lite will work fine.

CAN based diagnostics began to appear in VW after the 2005 models - 2005.5 MkV and Passat B6 if memory serves.

In free Shareware mode, you are limited to live measuring values up to block 025. For more you must purchase a full license for VCDS-Lite.

Ross-Tech does not supply KKL wires for VCDS-Lite. We stopped producing these many years ago. Ross-Tech will not make recommendations for KKL wires.

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
Any 409.1 KKL cable should be fine and most of these contain the FTDI chipset which is proven to be reliable and work well (as long as you're not unfortunate enough to get one with a counterfeit FTDI chip in which will just end up getting bricked if you try and use it with the latest v2.12.00 version of the FTDI drivers). Just take a look on eBay where you will find loads of 409.1 KKL cables to choose from so just take your pick. They're ten a penny. I actually use one on both my Alfa and Lancia and it works great :)

Last edited:

Venomous_Sinz

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
Alright, Thank you guys. Got the freeware version set up after going though a couple laptops to get it to work (seriously need to get a good one). Just ordered the $99 version, need more measuring blocks. Hoping to upgrade this summer to the full version after I get my car back on the road and have some extra cash. Thanks for the program, I look forward to doing some more business here soon.

Reactions: Uwe
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back