can be vcds use on apple devices?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What kind of devices?

VCDS requires Microsoft Windows. You can install Windows on a Mac using Boot Camp. That's a sure-fire way. You can also use a VM hypervisor like Virtual Box to run Windows inside of Mac OS. Plenty of people have gotten this to work, but we consider it unsupported (meaning we can't help you get it working) because there are too many combinations of Mac OS, Hypervisor, and Windows for us to be able to reproduce them all, particularly since none of us use Macs anymore.

VCDS-Mobile can be user with any device that has WiFi and a modern browser, including iPhones, iPads, or Macs. However, it is far easier to get the HEX-NET WiFi configured using a Windows PC than to try to do that stand-alone, and if you buy a HEX-NET from a reseller, a Windows PC is required to get the HEX-NET registered.

-Uwe-

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
I've been an apple user for most of my life and a VCDS user for the past five years.
I've been running VCDS on an Apple MacOS (most recent) and mostly with VMware Fusion (most recent) since that gave me the best USB stability. That works OK.

I'd recommend to make a bootcamp partition since you can run that using VMware for performance and battery reasons.
For things like updating your interfaces firmware, please use the full boot camp so that you won't brick your interface.

Good luck

wh17

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=415332
can be vcds use on apple devices?
The answer is YES it works without any issue. I understand that most Windows-Software-companies fear to give any support, but there are 3 players on the market (Parallels, VMware Fusion, VirtualBox) with all support USB. I use a MacBook pro 2018 with USB-C, so an additional USB-C <-> USB bridge is attached to my Mac. I use VMware Fusion 11 and the only issue is, that i first connect HEX-NET to my Mac, THEN connect it to the car. I some cases the Mac does not ask if the device should be used with a Mac or my VM. In that case i go to the USB menu a let Hex-Net connect. I will appear as STMicroelectronics Hex-Net DoIP.
You can also use Boot-camp (as long as you have an Intel CPU), but then you have to shutdown MacOS and Reboot Windows. This is waste of time and sometime you need to install additional drivers..
Performance in my VM is similar to real Windows...
I have not tried Virtual Box (which is free) or Parallels (which requires new license every year).

My system: Macbook Pro 2018, High Sierra 10.13, VMware Fusion 11, Windows 7

I have not tried Windows 10, but should be no issue. At installation some Rosstech USB drivers are installed and after that, i can use if without addition drivers... plug-in and enjoy.

I also flashed my phones directly using VMware, so even direct USB communication works as the USB port is connected directly to your VM, the MacOS does not see the Hex-Net if it is attached to your VM.

I you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

• Informative
Reactions: Uwe

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I have successfully used Windows 10 under Parallels on my MacBook Air with my HEX-NET.

wh17

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=415332
I just instlled it with Windows 10 running VMWare Fusion 11 and it also works.
I will upgrade to VMWare Fusion 12, but i dont expect and issues. The new Versions of VMWare/Parallels have to use hyperversion code from apple, so problems with decrease as the VM Vendors will use API callls provied by apple instead installing kernel extensions.
I will install virtual box which might not work. I had a hardware dongle which was not connected to virtual box and will test it.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
When Apple switches Macs over to ARM processors I guess using them to run VCDS won't be just a simple process of installing a VM?

• Agree

wh17

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=415332
Apple has announced to disable some kernel extensions (kext). Thus the VM vendors have to use the Apple Hypervisior and Vmware and Parallels have announced to support ARM but it is not clear which OS. I think the latest Windows Versions will work, but do not expect XP to be run on ARM VMs...
So i assume at least Windows 7 and 10 will run in Paralels/Vmware with ARM and thus VCDS will also run on Mac with ARM and Intel CPU.

I prefer VMware, because of the fair license model. Paralell is a russian company and i you check the tcp traffic (i use little snitch) you know why i would not use parallels. Parallels is a yearly payment system, while VMware until Fusion 11 is a license and you pay the update. Fusion 12 is free for personal use, the professional version requires a license and for most "i just want to run windows and play around" scenarios the free Version should work.
Fusion 12 should be released end of this month and i will upgrade and post my test results. If i have some time i also will test fusion 12 player (free version) with vcds.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
When Apple switches Macs over to ARM processors I guess using them to run VCDS won't be just a simple process of installing a VM?
I would be surprised if VCDS works well on an ARM CPU. Even Microsoft's own Surface Pro X that runs Windows natively on an ARM processor has been problematical.

-Uwe-

wh17

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=415332
When Apple switched from Motorola to Intel they offered a framework with API calls, so the code worked for the old and new macosx. this Framework (Rosetta) will be also offered for the ARM platform. VM Ware does not rely on apple but Parallels has only this solution and the showed a new version running debian unix and they confirmed a new version but no detaills about os. I am sure windows will be supported because there are many people to use products like visio or project oin a mac. ARM in a surface pro is native code, while parallels/vmware emulate a Intel so from a point of view as a programmer: it is a windows 10 and thats it.
As this emulation has to be coded, i think only the lateste windows version will be supported:-) it doesnt make sense to support everything below windows 10. It might get problems if you use direct assembler code and hacks to get a function running rather using api / documented functions... i dont know what you used for vcds... but many other vendors are waiiting for the new version of parallels/vmware fusion.
Again as apple offers common hypervisior functions it is safer and easier and parallels/vmware dont need to use hackss like deep kernel extensions:-)

Apple has a deep and long experience in transition from one cpu system to another and as an enduser the change from motorla to intel was nearly invisible.

rlarsen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=78998
Apple has announced to disable some kernel extensions (kext). Thus the VM vendors have to use the Apple Hypervisior and Vmware and Parallels have announced to support ARM but it is not clear which OS. I think the latest Windows Versions will work, but do not expect XP to be run on ARM VMs...
So i assume at least Windows 7 and 10 will run in Paralels/Vmware with ARM and thus VCDS will also run on Mac with ARM and Intel CPU.

I prefer VMware, because of the fair license model. Paralell is a russian company and i you check the tcp traffic (i use little snitch) you know why i would not use parallels. Parallels is a yearly payment system, while VMware until Fusion 11 is a license and you pay the update. Fusion 12 is free for personal use, the professional version requires a license and for most "i just want to run windows and play around" scenarios the free Version should work.
Fusion 12 should be released end of this month and i will upgrade and post my test results. If i have some time i also will test fusion 12 player (free version) with vcds.
Just for info Fusion 12 has been out for a while, I did my Pro update on September 15.

wh17

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=415332
Just for info Fusion 12 has been out for a while, I did my Pro update on September 15.
Yes this is correct, but i am from Germany and i get the german shop which offered the upgrade later. I will upgrade but we need to wait until 2021 for new version of fusion/parallels to check functionality with ARM. I assume either there will be a way to run windows 10 with arm and then VCDS and many other products will work or they fail get get window running at all then there will be no support for any windows software.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I assume either there will be a way to run windows 10 with arm and then VCDS and many other products will work or they fail get get window running at all then there will be no support for any windows software.
Since there are builds of Windows 10 specifically for ARM processors, I would think Windows could be made to work. The question is whether (and how well) software that isn't built for ARM processors will work.

-Uwe-