I bought a new car!

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
xej9GZm.jpg

And what a disappointment it's been so far...

I was a bit tired of having a 3-cylinder diesel with MT. I love the car to death but it's growing on me.
So, step up. Polo 6R 1.2 TDI to Polo 6R 1.6 TDI DSG7. Transfer all the mods and profit.
Things were looking good!
Low mileage (170.000km / 105.000 miles)
Xenon
Metallic blue
16 inch rims
RNS510
The lot!
New this car was EUR30.000. Yee ha!

Well.... nope.

This guy lied his ass off selling this car.
- Service was done --> NOPE
- DSG box was flushed --> NOPE
- Recently had new tires --> NOPE
- Engine is running well --> NOPE 2 broken injectors, broken waterpump, oil leaking
- DSG box is fine --> NOPE clutch broken
- Hardly any damage to the body --> NOPE
- I'll do the alignment --> Steering arm ball joint broken
- 'recently' new suspension --> factory shocks installed after 9 years.
- OEM auto lights --> China light switch

So today I've been working on the car and my findings are:
- Oil leak on the engines exterior.
- One of the tires is worn to the thread. Literally.
- Electric waterpump is replaced
- Left hand side steering rod, inner joint, is shot (has a lot of play)
- Springs are fcuk-ed.
- DSG clutch is broken (P177D)
- Engine management light is not working in the instrument cluster. Da f**k.

zYCTUZK.jpg

At least I got myself a hobby for the next few weeks/month getting this car in decent condition.
Then I'll have to think what to do next...
Do I want to keep it or put the engine/DSG in my car? Sell the blue one with 1.2 TDI MT.

I'm feeling a bit scammed. Not a lot of faith in this car right now... :popcorn:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Well it certainly looks nice and shiny! :D

-Uwe-

PS: DSG = Damn Shitty Gearbox. ;)

Rollux

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380572
Oh the number of cars I’ve seen with ABS/SRS/CEL lights blanked or removed is not funny.

I’d say drop it like it’s hot unless you need or want an expensive hobby!

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
I've heard even small cars can be expensive to buy in NL but such a POS for 30k€...damn. If this price isn't in the lower end of the market, it would be pretty pissed.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Ah what happened to a pre purchase inspection?
I like the color......

Did you auto-scan it at least with VCDS? :rolleyes:

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
Ah what happened to a pre purchase inspection?
I like the color......

Did you auto-scan it at least with VCDS? :rolleyes:

Surely did scan the car.
Only the water pump failure showed up. Car had extensive service history and invoices for maintenance and repairs.
DSG was working fine on the test drive but after a basic setting the clutch went bad.

It looks like there has been an extensive cover-up of failures to hide all the short-comings of this car.
- Engine software has been modified to hide EGR issues
- DSG had some software "fix"
- Maintenance and repair invoices were fake
- Body damage to the bumper has been camouflaged

Should I have seen it? Yes, I suppose so.

Now I have a new and expensive hobby but I'm really enjoying it. I have decoupled the misery I've experienced from the potential the car has. I'll make the best of it. :)

I might take the engine and gearbox and revise to the best I can and learn a lot in the process. And perhaps put it into my black polo. Could use some immo magic from EPE perhaps... :) :)

Rollux

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380572
The DSG will cause an issue if you try to do basic settings and the clutches are at the end of life - that’s normal on the dq200. It’s why unless you’ve just replaced the clutch never do a basic settings adaptations. You’ll need a new clutch set, no way around it now.
It has possibly had a DSG tune at some stage as the stock software is hard on clutches as it tries to take off in 2nd etc.
Contact TvS engineering for the clutch etc, they’ll see you right. We use their software and get mechs from them all the way over here!

Good luck :o

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^^^ Ichel- congratulations on the new purchase. However, the bucket and the container of what I assume is cleaning fluid in the first picture is disturbing!

My normal advice to folk who have the tendency to wash their cars is to find the roughest, most stone-ladened track and drive the car as quick as is safely possible; the objective being to inflict the greatest number of stone-chips and scratches!

You will find if you do this early in the car's ownership, you will need less time cleaning which will increase the time to do more useful stuff (like using VCDS to improve the car)!!;)

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Consider converting to stick would be safest bet no?...........:rolleyes:

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
I want You to drive Your new car in health and joy! :thumbs:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
My normal advice to folk who have the tendency to wash their cars is to find the roughest, most stone-ladened track and drive the car as quick as is safely possible; the objective being to inflict the greatest number of stone-chips and scratches!
Uhm... I did something like that on Saturday in our Tiguan, which only has ~5000 miles on it. I got this for my troubles:

gSnG7bj.jpg

-Uwe-

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Uhm... I did something like that on Saturday in our Tiguan, which only has ~5000 miles on it. I got this for my troubles:

-Uwe-

OssoTonka made it home with no issues... What's that gonna set you back? $500??

Last edited by a moderator:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What's that gonna set you back? $500??
I have no idea. This Tiguan has all the fancy camera and sensor gizmos attached to the windshield, so I think this is going to be a dealer job.

It happened on the BRP, most of the way to Fancy Gap, where they had put down fresh gravel chipseal. A car coming the other way kicked up the stone that caused the damage.

-Uwe-

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
^^^^^ Ichel- congratulations on the new purchase. However, the bucket and the container of what I assume is cleaning fluid in the first picture is disturbing!

You will find if you do this early in the car's ownership, you will need less time cleaning which will increase the time to do more useful stuff (like using VCDS to improve the car)!!;)

Don, in this save environment I can confess that between the two of us, there has been some worshipping going on. Hero worshipping. From me towards you.
However, I am currently in a crisis situation since I am so so shocked I cannot comprehend how to handle this. Purposely and intentionally damaging my car.
My precious little Polo. I love my car to death. The black one, that is. The blue one, not so much but I'll learn to love it as well.

Perhaps I'll even have to consider removing my imaginary DV52 altar from my VCDS sanctuary. ;)

Soonad

Reaction score
Honestly, you made a very wise decision. I like very much this car, it has a very safe engine. The only fact that made me think when I bought my son this car was the gearbox DSG7. I know how problematic they are, but if you take care of it, your gearbox will live a long life. I live in Romania and bought a similar polo with the same specs from Spain. The only problem for me was the transportation of the car from Spain to Romain. But, luckily I worked with the guys from [Spammy Link Redacted]. They delivered the care in a few days and with no scratches. I was very pleased with the new baby of my son. Mine is black in R-line. It's looking sick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back