MIB2 STD2 Speaker outputs

rhill2901

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277377
I'm looking to add subwoofer output from the MIB2 STD2 +nav head unit that I have retrofitted into my 2014 vw jetta tdi. I have researched this and found out that there is a speaker 5, and a speaker 6 output on the back of that unit. I also noticed that the following table applies to my unit:

2 Channels / 4 Passive Speakers installed [PR-8RE]
2 Channels / 4 Passive Speakers installed [PR-8RH] OR Sound System [PR-9VE]
4 Channels / 6 Passive Speakers installed [PR-8RL]
4 Channels / 8 Passive Speakers installed [PR-8RM]

In VCDS, I see those options available, and these are pretty much the standard internal amp configurations. I'm not sure how to account for 8 speakers? But with the speaker 5, and speaker 6, is this normally going to the stock sub woofer? If it is, is this configuration only available as a pre-amp output? I have no problem adding an external amp, and have seen others just tap into the rear speaker outputs and add an amp to drive their subwoofer. Anyone know what speaker 5 and speaker 6 output is for if not subwoofer? If its an actual speaker output, is it amplified internally also? or is it just preamp outs?

Thanks,
Richard

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
all MIBs have FOUR power outputs on the Quadlock connector. where did you see outputs 5 and 6?

if the car was fitted with a soundsystem from the factory, the MIB has an optical output to connect to the stock amplifier, which drives the speakers and the subwoofer. I am not sure how many channels are carried over the optical output, I would bet it is still four and then the sub out is handled by the amp.

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
In this case, OP is describing the PQ MIB2, which has only the Quadlock and no MOST.

From this radio you get 4 speaker channels, one for each door originally. You can code the radio to output either an amplified signal or an unamplified one from all 4 speaker channels. The last one is in use when a factory amplifier is equipped.

rhill2901

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277377

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
Thanks for pointing this out. I rechecked the factory WD and still - the factory subwoofer is connected to the factory amp and this amp uses only the normal 4 channels outputted by the radio. There is no mention of these pins 9, 10, 13 and 14.

I'm thinking if these speaker 5 and 6 outputs even output anything, they would output the same preamp or high signal the normal 4 channels would be outputting. I might not be correct though.

rhill2901

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277377
I tested those outputs, and even thought the pins are there, there is no sound coming out from them. So I will go with splicing off the rear speakers and crossover to the subwoofer via the JL audio amp I installed. Major improvement over stock. Once the sub is wired, it will be awesome. Thanks for all those that provided input.

On another subject the MIB STD2 I installed doesn't have FADER????? Am i missing somethin or was this conveniently left out of this radio?

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Some cars have extra output from MIB quadlock. For example my Leon with Seat Soundsystem has Subwoofer output directly from MIB.
Activating this output goes through parameters though.

rhill2901

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277377
What year is your car? or more specifically, what year is your MIB? Is it a MIB2 STD2 pq? or are you refering to the MQB MK7 version?

o33err

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=317589
This is the same on the A4/A5 Audis as well. The Audi Sound System drives a subwoofer and the centre channel speaker directly from the MMI. It's only when you get to the B&O system, does the car use an external MOST connected amplifier.