General Corona Virus Discussion

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
[unlike @NZDubNurd uncertainty (no offense intended), I have absolutely no doubt that "good-luck" plays no role in the Australasian COVID numbers.

We're a LOT more isolated than you are! You have vast amounts of "through-traffic" and most of our import shipments come through you guys.

My Sister-in-law (with her husband and 3 kids) were amazed at how lamely the "managed isolation" was "managed" - during their time spent there, people were expected to "socially distance"... even though some people were leaving quarantine tomorrow, and others had arived yesterday - their kids could mix and mingle easily in the outdoor areas - "quarantine" yes, "managed", no! They would have been more isolated if they'd just travelled home to their house and it wouldn't have cost them thousands of dollars.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Glad to be able to contribute here again!

Dave, sorry to hear that you had a bad time but very glad to hear you are on the mend. It is my hope and my wish that you will continue to grow strong again. Those of us in that 64/65 year class need to remain vigilant staying away from others. That has been my plan and my daily operation. I am at home and plan to remain there for the foreseeable future. While I may end up going stir crazy, it will not be a long walk to get there! ;) :D

Uwe is convinced Vitamin D is a good thing. Take some every day. He insisted I do so.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Dave, sorry to hear that you had a bad time but very glad to hear you are on the mend. It is my hope and my wish that you will continue to grow strong again. Those of us in that 64/65 year class need to remain vigilant staying away from others. That has been my plan and my daily operation. I am at home and plan to remain there for the foreseeable future. While I may end up going stir crazy, it will not be a long walk to get there! ;) :D

Uwe is convinced Vitamin D is a good thing. Take some every day. He insisted I do so.
Thanks for the kind words Bruce - our plan is now like yours to stay away from others. It's not intellectually stimulating - but with careful internet use (including this forum) that gap can be filled!

As per Uwe's advice we're also taking daily Vitamin D supplements.

Pinpointdiag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90374
Every one in the uk that’s clinically extremely vulnerable and in the shielding group. Has been offered/given a free supply of vitamin D. From the NHS.

Reactions: Uwe

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Every one in the uk that’s clinically extremely vulnerable and in the shielding group. Has been offered/given a free supply of vitamin D. From the NHS.
I've asked both my sisters-in-law and my uncle who are all in the clinically extremely vulnerable group and NONE of them have been offered Vitamin D tablets - so the idea may be there to offere them but the logistics isn't keeping up with the "wish list".

• Informative

Pinpointdiag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90374

Hopefully your family’s will get theirs soon.
I was sent a pack in early December
Really I guess my point was someone up high thinks it’s worth
us all taking it to help boost our immune system.
After the lack of sun.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
NONE of them have been offered Vitamin D tablets
Not in Wales they haven't - not yet...
I guess my point was someone up high thinks it’s worth

Vitamin D3 supplements look to be readily available on amazon.co.uk.

Personally, I've been taking the following for many months:
  • Vitamin D3 -- dosage depending on my location & sun exposure; between 1000 and 5000 IU/day.
  • Vitamin C -- 500 mg / day -- would increase to several times per day at the first sign of any cold or flu like illness.
  • Zinc -- 50 mg every other day.
  • Quercetin -- 500 mg every other day.
I also have Ivermectin in stock and would take it at the first sign of trouble. Yes, it's veterinary grade, but that's the only form readily available here.

I think it's an absolute travesty that we (at least in the US) don't have any official recommendations for prophylaxis or early treatment. Even if someone has symptoms and tests positive, they're told to go home and quarantine without being given anything that might help unless/until they have trouble breathing, at which point they're admitted to a hospital, and by then the prognosis is dire. Early intervention is important, and the countries that practice it seem to be losing far fewer people.

-Uwe-

Pinpointdiag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90374
Just after reading Uwe mentioning it, I noticed a South African friend of mine had sent me this. It’s a Bit/very long but a very interesting discussion on ivermectin, a parasitic drug effective against COVID

Last edited:
  • Love

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I noticed a South African friend of mine had sent me this. It’s a Bit/very long but a very interesting discussion on ivermectin, a parasitic drug effective against COVID
I have not had time to watch that one yet, but have watched this one:

For those who would rather read, here's a regularly updated review of the studies:

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Biden to reinstate COVID-19 travel restrictions Trump rescinded, impose new ban on South Africa

Last edited by a moderator:

dieseldub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28764
I think it's an absolute travesty that we (at least in the US) don't have any official recommendations for prophylaxis or early treatment. Even if someone has symptoms and tests positive, they're told to go home and quarantine without being given anything that might help unless/until they have trouble breathing, at which point they're admitted to a hospital, and by then the prognosis is dire. Early intervention is important, and the countries that practice it seem to be losing far fewer people.

-Uwe-

It is indeed a travesty. And this is far from the first example of this specific, glaring shortcoming of how we approach healthcare in this country.

As for why it's this way, we could likely point to two possibilities. First of which is the for-profit nature of healthcare in a way actually removes incentive to make people better in a way that doesn't simultaneously make the system money. There absolutely is a conflict of interest with incentives when it's 100% for-profit rather than finding a way to make the financial incentives on the system to actually helping people get better and take more preventative actions. That's not an easy one to untangle.

The other problem is a legal one. If they aren't confident that there have been adequate studies done to support the theories behind prophylactic measures that many have been recommending outside of hospitals, they won't take the risk to make the recommendation while an employee in the hospital because of how overly-litigious our society has become. Although a part of the reason why we're so litigious may also have something to do with how insanely expensive healthcare is, and being a private, for-profit business also makes them more vulnerable to such legal attacks if things don't go well. Although, if a mistake is made that has a massive effect on one's quality of life or worse, you'd want to retain the right to get at least financial compensation for the mistake... So, that's another one where I could see both sides of the argument.

I've actually come to Trump's defense on hydroxychloroquine last Spring. There seemingly was decent evidence of its efficacy as a preventative, but the conflicting evidence was that most of our data revolved around its use on patients whose symptoms have already progressed beyond the point of HCQ being the least bit effective. So, I could understand the confusion that there could be that much conflicting information given that it could be both effective as preventative and not at all effective as a treatment on a severely ill patient.

The mechanism that seems to make HCQ the most effective is that it's actually a good zinc ionophore. Zinc does a great job at stopping virus replication cold, but it can't always get inside of the cells where the virus is replicating. But HCQ is a 'zinc ionophore' that helps open a "cell's door" to allow zinc in to be effective. So, it's really a combination of both HCQ and zinc that seems to be effective. But, HCQ can have other, negative inflammatory effects, and once this virus has kicked your body's immune system into full inflammation/cytokine storm mode, it can actually be a negative thing to take--making an already bad inflammation issue worse.

That's where I arrived at another interesting find that's little talked about. Quercetin, which is available over the counter and also occurs naturally in a number of fruits (especially in apples with the skin still on), is also a zinc ionophore, and what's better, it's actually also a great anti-inflammatory agent.

But hey, there's no money to be made by the healthcare system by over the counter offerings like this, so where's the incentive to recommend it or fund large studies on it, right?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
2JTqAct.jpg

XKMMZXq.jpg

Here's an update from my county (where RTHQ is located too), population 830,000 as of 2019. New cases seem to hover around 40 per day and have been that way since mid-June. None of the big events (Memorial Day, Independence Day, etc) appear to have caused meaningful spikes. Deaths that skyrocketed at the peak (nearly all nursing home residents) have tapered off so much that many days there are zero. In the past month we went from 811 to 829 deaths or just over 1 every 2 days.

Data source: https://data-montcopa.opendata.arcgis.com/pages/covid-19

I figured I would update this post 7.5 months later, it looks quite a bit different now:

U0gpVQw.jpg

IgO6Hia.jpg

Just like with stock performance, timeframe perspective really alters the picture. The initial mound of cases is dwarfed by the second round that followed about 8 months later. Thankfully, deaths did not do the same thing, in fact this second wave only brought about half the deaths as the first one. All deaths are horrible, and I lost people I knew personally but I wanted to put that into perspective.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
While that data may look encouraging, the second wave is not hit yet, cases are just starting to trickle in and if it spreads as they say, it may not be so pretty in 3-6 months, hopefully the statistic continues to drop in cases.

SirSkeedle

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=426705
guided here by @Uwe, reveived my first jab on wednesday @ 6.40pm. astra zeneca/oxford jab (1st injection). i am white from the UK aged 19, i went with my brother who is aged 23. felt fine except pain in the arm. both of us woke up at aprox 1-2am with extreme shaking uncontrollably. high fever. awake all night shaking for aprox 1 hour myself. the next day felt just off, no temperature but i felt hot and cold all day. i actually woke up in the morning when i finally got to sleep drenched in sweat, my bed was soaked. had to change it all and try to get some more sleep. felt boiling hot then freezing all day on and off, but no fever. the next day again now and i feel fine, just pain in the arm and also a bit tired.