Has RT-Forums Ever Been Compromised?

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
I received a one of those extortion emails to the address I have registered with RT-Forums. In summary it said that I’d visited a smutty website, they’d installed a Trojan, remotely switched on my webcam and recorded my personal actions whilst viewing the smut. To prevent global embarrassment, I need to pay $2,000 in Bitcoin and all will be deleted.

All totally untrue, however, the subject line of the email did indeed contain the password I use(d) for this forum. Only for this forum...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Not that we are aware of.

-Uwe-

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I checked our server and nothing appears to be compromised.

Reactions: Uwe

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Same here, but the PW is not the one I used for the RT forum. It originated in a leak in early 2019, and Avast will send you the compromised password associated with the email if you don't mind giving Avast your email:
https://www.avast.com/hackcheck
it is easy enough to click "unsubscribe" at the bottom of the email you receive :)
What the email sender did is they're just going through that huge database, sending you an email, and using the PW as the subject. Pretty efficient, it sure got my attention :)

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I received a one of those extortion emails to the address I have registered with RT-Forums. In summary it said that I’d visited a smutty website, they’d installed a Trojan, remotely switched on my webcam and recorded my personal actions whilst viewing the smut. To prevent global embarrassment, I need to pay $2,000 in Bitcoin and all will be deleted.

All totally untrue, however, the subject line of the email did indeed contain the password I use(d) for this forum. Only for this forum...
I've had 3 similar emails in the last week all from different outlook.com email addresses, but the password mentioned is one I have never used for RT-forums.

I've ignored all the extortion emails and so far nothing has been emailed to my contacts - and if it is then it will be fake.

Back