Disable ESP on mk4 Jetta

Nineeightyone

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=401884
Hello all,

it's good to finally be here! I've been pining over VCDS since I had my first VW, and finally was able to purchase my own dongle.

My test subject is a 2004 VW Jetta wagon, used for autocross primarily. It is equipped with the 2.0 8v BEV engine code and 5-speed manual transmission.

Over the last few days I've been hunting for a way to disable ESP without losing ABS, and where possible keeping EDL as well, and information seems to be sparse.

One suggestion I had found in my search was to access 03-ABS Brakes, in the Coding module. My VAG number is 1C0 907 397 M, and the component is listed as ESP FRONT MK60 0102.

I subtracted 2048 from my existing coding (0019458 original, 0017410 after) and ESP appears to have completely disappeared -- the car no longer tries to take over when it feels something is awry, and there is no dash light. Also the ESP button on the dash does not enable ESP or seem to change behavior at all.

I'm posting not only because I've seen others request information on a similar modification, but also because I'm hoping to find more information where possible about the possibilities for the MK60 controller.

I know this is probably older news, but hopefully it helps someone else out, and maybe we can also gather more information on these modules.

Edit: I am aware of this article in the wiki, however I found it to be a bit difficult to follow/understand -- I'm somewhat technically savy, but this is all new ground for me. Hopefully I can dig up more information to get to the bottom of how the MK60 operates in terms of coding.

Last edited:

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
That's interesting. Typically when a module is designed for a specific function (ESP FRONT MK60 = FWD and ESP in this case) you can't disable/tweak the functions. This may help someone in the future.

Edit: I am aware of this article in the wiki, however I found it to be a bit difficult to follow/understand -- I'm somewhat technically savy, but this is all new ground for me. Hopefully I can dig up more information to get to the bottom of how the MK60 operates in terms of coding.
The Mk5/1K page may be of assistance however this coding chart applies to the (9M/1J) Mk4 era modules: VW Golf (1J) Brake Electronics (MK60)

Either way, the coding is additive so if we use the (1J) MK60 page yours was likely factory configured for:

+0000002 = FS3 54 14"/15" (PR-1LQ/1LR/1LS/1ZF/1ZM/1ZP)
+0000000 = Standard/Sport Suspension (PR-2UA)
+0018432 = Gasoline Engine (from 92 kW / 125 HP) & All Diesel Engines
+0001024 = Drive-By-Wire Engines​

Edit, after checking the 1K page my guess is using -2048 tricked the ESP module into believing it was a lower output engine which disabled the ESP?

Nineeightyone

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=401884
That's interesting. Typically when a module is designed for a specific function (ESP FRONT MK60 = FWD and ESP in this case) you can't disable/tweak the functions. This may help someone in the future.

The Mk5/1K page may be of assistance however this coding chart applies to the (9M/1J) Mk4 era modules: VW Golf (1J) Brake Electronics (MK60)

Either way, the coding is additive so if we use the (1J) MK60 page yours was likely factory configured for:

+0000002 = FS3 54 14"/15" (PR-1LQ/1LR/1LS/1ZF/1ZM/1ZP)
+0000000 = Standard/Sport Suspension (PR-2UA)
+0018432 = Gasoline Engine (from 92 kW / 125 HP) & All Diesel Engines
+0001024 = Drive-By-Wire Engines​

Edit, after checking the 1K page my guess is using -2048 tricked the ESP module into believing it was a lower output engine which disabled the ESP?
Thank you! That's very interesting to know, I assumed (first mistake, right?) that only the mk4 page would be correct. I will poke around and see, as the 8v output is listed at 115hp. I will continue to play around, after I pull the stock configuration of course.

It's very exciting, I love to "tinker" and have a handful of cars with which to experiment and learn more. I'll be sure to post any interesting tidbits I find!