Procedure for coding used cluster in 2000 Beetle that had a dead cluster

embmwtech

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=255258
Hello Group,
I have an 11/99 beetle that has a dead cluster and no communication with ecm. Installed used cluster, I can now communicate with cluster and ECM. I have the 14 digit immobilizer string from an old scan from several years ago. My issue is a can not find a procedure to manually enter the code.

Thank you,
David Uhyrek
Spencer Automotive

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Please post an Auto-Scan.

If you can pull the PIN from the instrument cluster, then you just rematch keys.

However..... if you can't pull the PIN, then you are currently dead in the water. I would suggest to contact an automotive locksmith.

Reactions: Uwe

embmwtech

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=255258
Jeff,
Unfortunately the issue isn't with the keys it is the "handshake" the cluster and the ecm do to allow you to start the vehicle.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Jeff,
Unfortunately the issue isn't with the keys it is the "handshake" the cluster and the ecm do to allow you to start the vehicle.
That's not how it works. The keys are matched to the cluster, not the ECU. If you've installed a different cluster, then the keys for this vehicle are not matched to the cluster you've currently go installed and the Immo-ID (as well as the corresponding PIN) have changed. Once keys are matched to the cluster, re-establishing the match between the cluster and the ECU is trivial on Immo-2.

-Uwe-

embmwtech

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=255258
Sorry for the late response, it turns out that we have a VAG Tacho and were able to get the PIN and complete the job. Starts and runs.

Dave-