Vehicle Diagnostic Protection SFD

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
From what I hear, the American manufacturers are doing the same as VAG. So this is an industry wide problem.

I don't have the answers but I do not believe it is all wrapped up in VAG making money. I am reasonably sure the bean counters are involved but am not yet convinced they do this exclusively to rip money from their customers and their service providers.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
From what I hear, the American manufacturers are doing the same as VAG.
The SAE is actually recommending such things and have published some guidance for it:

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@Bruce: I'm not that familiar with America's "Right to Repair" movement - but it sounds very much like a good thing to have. However, unless I've misunderstood this debate (quite likely), I'm not sure how SFD is related.

Here in the land down under, VW Australia has refused to grant independent workshops access to facilities like FAZIT. This means that dealers have a virtual monopoly on related work - and Australian car owners can only use dealers accordingly.

As I understand, these restriction do not apply in America. So VAG car owners in USA have a so-called "level playing field" for repairs which includes the right to seek services from a dealer, or an independent workshop or ultimately (I guess) to do the work themselves if they are prepared to set-up the required infrastructure. I assume that your Right-to-Repair is not so much about the cost to repair, but rather it's about the right of access to the information and the facilities (like VAG servers) to be able to repair

But for the matter of SFD- VAG is not imposing a restriction on access to information/facility, As I understand, anyone who wants access to SFD encrusted modules can have this access - they simply need to qualify (on the same footing) to get a GEKO account and they need a digital link to VAG servers to get the tokens. Again, the question of the cost of access is not in debate here (as long as the cost is the same for everyone).

What have I missed in this new world order - or is America's right-to-repair movement about the proletariat getting cheap car repairs?

Don

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Right to Repair is as you say... making things available and doing so at a "reasonable" price. That's what the movement was all about. Our aftermarket shops are as important as our dealer shops. They should be - there are almost as many aftermarket shops as there drivers... but that is another issue.

So the SFD is like CP and the Immo - got to have the dealer software and a license to use it.

Do I understand correctly that one has to pay to obtain the SFD word? That would be a difference. Right now, if you jump through the hoops of fire, buy a J2534 pass through device, pay for your annual subscription, you get access to ODIS online. Did I understand correctly that for each SFD protected module, one must buy that word? That would seem wrong given that one has paid the price for access.

The shops must pay additional for access to the erWin information.

It's not about getting cheap repairs. It is about the fact that 60+% of all repair is done by independent shops. That is big business and the parts dealers, supplies dealers, the governments all want to see these shops prevail and keep thriving. They are typically owned by a guy living in a community and wanting to help people out. They will be found rubbing elbows with their customers around town - shopping in the local stores and such.

Dealers are a big business and they realize they are not making squat on selling cars. They need to make money in their service and collision bays. They have become a big machine, cranking cars through the repair mill... and most of the time they satisfy their customers. Yet customers are fiercely independent in the main and many do not like the dealer (which they label the stealer) - they see the dealer charging more - and they are correct - about 33% more than the independent for the same work. So, the car owners want to take their car where they want to go for service. That is what forced Right to Repair - a Massachusetts voter referendum stating the the car owner has the right to have their car serviced at a place of their choosing; that place having equal access to the tools, information and equipment dealer techs use at a comparable price.

Last edited:

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
I'm not sure what the J2534 pass through device costs ; but here is a list of the costs and requirements to apply for ODIS Here (see post #12).

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
J2534 genuine tool was running $2000 to $3000 USD last I checked.. For VAG, the DrewTech products were approved. I believe there are two others but cannot remember their names. I believe they are listed on the VAG site somewhere.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I believe there are two others but cannot remember their names.
I believe this is VAG's preferred one:

-Uwe-

RGH0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=433612
Yes the issue is I have 2 cars I need to maintain not 10,000 and I want reasonable access to the data and computer tools provided by VW or alternates such as Ross-Tech needed to maintain my 2 cars. Right to repair should give me to access for my 2 cars on the same basis per car as a dealer for 10,000 cars. Without VW trying to stop it !!!!!

Last edited:

RGH0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=433612
Its not just VW. Ford keep the casting design details of their 70 year old "Kent" blocks design used in the Lotus twincam racing engines that I build confidential still so I have to reverse engineer the details WTF ? How many $ are they going to make out of that move??

cheers
Rohan