FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Came across this site today:
http://link-removed.com

Looks a bit suspect to me....
Yup. Lots of "VAG 11.11" and "VAG 12.12" out there, they're all counterfeit.

Easy way to tell for most vendors, other than the price being too good to be true: it comes with a CD/DVD. Except for Pro kits, no legitimate interfaces ship with physical media. You download the software from Ross-Tech. The counterfeiters send it on CD/DVD because you have to use their cracked version for the cloned hardware to work.

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919

The other big giveaway is the dodgy "VAG11.11" label on the head of the OBD connector.

Vag Com (VCDS) 12.12.0

Latest Version: 12.12.0
Errrr...no it's not!

Even genuine second-hand cables usually fetch more than 200 GBP in the UK so if it costs much less than that then alarm bells should immediately start ringing. That said, I read on another forum a while back about an unfortunate chap who spent 190 GBP expecting to receive a genuine cable and it turned out to be a fake. Always best to just buy either direct from Ross-Tech or one of their approved re-sellers.

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoPops

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=65608
It's ok, I'm not buying, I already have a genuine cable direct from RT.. Just wondered if RT chased any of these hooky sellers?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Since Diagnostic World is kind enough to have an actual physical address on their site, they will be getting a C&D letter from an attorney.

Thank you! :thumbs:

-Uwe-

Edit/PS: I've edited the above messages to remove the original links. There's no reason to make that site look more legit to the search crawlers by having links to it here.

CocoPops

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=65608
Is there a method to report these? Or via forum is ok?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
This thread is fine.

-Uwe-

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
Looks like the C&D letter did the trick because the counterfeit kit is no longer listed on the DW site.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
O
This thread is fine.

-Uwe-

Uwe; One of the benefits of forums like this is that we can be a some-time web crawler in the battle against pirates. I didn't go purposely looking for this, but I stumbled across the site. Had a sniff around the site - definitely has a "doobie-whiff" (dubious odour) about it! Even has your company name in the add!
Pirate?

Suggestion: you might consider making this thread sticky - so it's easy to find in future

Last edited:

CocoPops

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=65608
Haha...

Love this line:
"The VAG COMs only work with the software provided by me on the CD ! Please do not attempt to upgrade or update the software from internet as your cable will not work anymore."

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I guess they missed this part of our very short and simple Copyright Notice and License Agreement:

VCDS is Copyright 2000-2015 by Ross-Tech, LLC / Uwe M. Ross. All rights are reserved. [...] Re-distribution in any form without the prior written consent of the author is prohibited.

:rolleyes:

-Uwe-

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Hi Jason. Uwe has given permission to some to distribute the software on CD or other media. In the US, they are not permitted to do so. For the most part, it is only in special cases and frankly I hate the inconsistency. But, Ilexa begged and we allowed it.

One cannot say that just because the software is distributed on CD that it is illegal. If obtained from a listed distributor, they probably have Ross-Tech permission.

Thanks for the question Jason.... welcome to our world of confusion!

I will try to edit that other thread to be more clear....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yeah, that permission is vestigial from a decade or more ago, when repair shops often didn't have internet access to download the software.

We do still include media in our Professional Kits as well, although we've abandoned CDs and now include a USB memory stick.

-Uwe-

PS: If it's a "Panda" CD like this, it's definitely not authorized:

5_Mini_CD_R_32x__4c5be6305b0a4.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I rarely post on VWVortex anymore, but I added two cents to that thread.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
A note about how we're moderating this thread:

We very much appreciate it when anyone provides us links to clones and dodgy stuff that they've found and we will pursue them in the appropriate way. However, there are a number of reasons why I don't want those links to remain active and accessible to either the general public or the web-crawlers that come through the forum. The most straightforward way for us to make them inaccessible to them, while keeping them accessible to us for perusal is to soft-delete such posts. So, please don't think the fact that one of us deleted a post means I didn't want that data posted to begin with. If the "Reason" contains "Thank you" (as it does in the post above), we genuinely mean that.

-Uwe-

Devil_Inside

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=237616
The sad thing is that the market is flooded with these counterfeit interfaces. They are even being sold on Amazon through 3rd party sellers...

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
The sad thing is that the market is flooded with these counterfeit interfaces. They are even being sold on Amazon through 3rd party sellers...
Agreed. It is sad.

As this thread has said, we work to shut down the sales channels that we can shut down. And the effort to do these things take away our resources to doing things that would benefit all.

Reality says this is the way of business in this world. We must bear the burden and pay the cost.

Do note, Ross-Tech has not put the cost burden on our customers as we have not changed prices in over 10 years. Rather, we have absorbed the costs by reducing our margins and pushing for more sales. We now have one employee who spends nearly half his day dealing with these illegal sales. Then Uwe, the owner, has to take time to deal with these. Distribs around the world are working to stop sales in their regions.

What is the cost to Ross-Tech? What is the lost sales to Ross-Tech? The numbers would be astounding!

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
I've got a couple more links. Should I post them in this thread or send them to someone in a PM?

I think one of the worst offenders is the site that ironically has a name you would normally associate with 40 thieves (I often wonder if the naming of that site was deliberate). How on earth you go about stopping sales of counterfeit goods from a country of origin that has non-existent or unenforceable copyright laws I have no idea but it is these untouchables that seem to be the most damaging to reputable businesses who are just trying to make an honest living.