Selling hex-net and license???

Jthessin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380199
Does anyone know if I can sell the hex-net and software license I just purchased?
I have hooked this up to 3 different Audi's and no measuring blocks are available (greyed out)
and no output tests ever work on any vehicle. They either time out or show that its not allowed by the controller.
I got this to hopefully run tests on individual components, but all it lets me do is look at real time data (limited at that) which I could already do via several different OBDII adapters and iOS apps.
figured I would just cut my losses and sell it but don't know if I can since I registered it under my name
Thanks all!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Newer Audis?
Please see:
https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?1905

Certainly you can sell it. The licenses are embedded in the hardware, so the new owner will have full use of the product. The only catch is the new owner won't be a "registered user", but he can become one here.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I have hooked this up to 3 different Audi's and no measuring blocks are available (greyed out)
That will almost certainly be because they use the UDS protocol so you have to use Advanced Measuring Blocks - this is due to firmware changes made by VAG, not because of anything that Ross-Tech have chosen to do.

Reactions: Uwe

Jthessin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380199
OH, I understand that its due to Audi and not Ross-Tech, but as it does me no good not being able to test individual components to track down problems (especially when there is no associated code thrown by the ECU), im just replacing stuff willy-nilly until I eventually fix it :-) I can do that by weakly describing my problem in various message boards and getting 100 different responses on what's wrong! I was trying to avoid the scam that is the stealership replacing parts at astronomical prices only to say, "well that didn't fix it, so we'd like to try a few more thousand dollars in repairs" :-) :-)
That will almost certainly be because they use the UDS protocol so you have to use Advanced Measuring Blocks - this is due to firmware changes made by VAG, not because of anything that Ross-Tech have chosen to do.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
OH, I understand that its due to Audi and not Ross-Tech, but as it does me no good not being able to test individual components to track down problems (especially when there is no associated code thrown by the ECU)
What component are you trying to test, in which car?

-Uwe-

Jthessin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380199
I wanted to test things like fuel injectors, or individual electrical components like fuel pressure regulators, temperature sensors, etc., etc.
I've tried hooking into 2 2013 era Audi's (Q5 and A5) and a 2017 A5. All three cars have the exact same limitations to what can be done. I watched hours of YouTube videos before purchasing to make sure it could do all the things I wanted, only to find out that for 90% of Audi's, it appears to be basic real time data only (I already need to know how to interpret this data to make sense of it). no way to actually TEST individual systems...

-Uwe-

Jthessin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380199

-Uwe-

For instance, I can test fuel pressures, up to the fuel rail, but I can't test what's happening at the injectors... I can see what the temperature of the coolant is, but I can't test if that's what it actually is, or just what is being reported... Things like that... I was driving home the other day...outside air temp was 101 and the car started beeping telling me to check the coolant level and turn off the engine. Well I popped the hood and saw the fluid level was perfectly in between the max and min line on the bottle so I continued to drive home. I hooked up the hex-net and started the program and was recording temperatures of 110c which if I remember right would be several degrees above boiling point of 212 degrees F. Once I got home I open the overflow bottle slowly thinking everything was going to boil out and barely got a hiss. no boiling, no overheated engine smell, fluid looked normal. so im pretty sure my water temp wasn't over 200 degrees. but that's what is being reported. I can't test anything since all output tests on Audi (after 2013 owned by me at least ) dont seem to support them :-) :-) Its not a biggie really, just was opening to have the chance to learn to repair these vehicles myself without being completely lost and at the mercy of the repair shops;-)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The boiling point of pure water is indeed 100°C. But the boiling point of a water/anti-freeze mix ("engine coolant") is higher, and the boiling point of the coolant under pressure is considerably higher still.

It's certainly possible you have a defective coolant temperature sensor, but the only way to test the coolant temperature sensor with a scan tool is to see what it reports against a known reference. Start by checking the reading first thing in the morning, after the car has had overnight to assume ambient temperature, and before starting the engine. It should read within a few degrees of ambient.

Fuel rail pressures are almost certainly available in those ECUs, but I'd need to see a scan of the car you're working on to tell you exactly where to look. Please pick one car, post an Auto-Scan from it, and we'll try to guide you from there.

-Uwe-

Jthessin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380199
I can read pressures, but that's as far as it goes..I can't test the individual injectors. all my pressures have been within 1-2% of expected value. my issue (sorta of like a hiccup while under load at certain RPM's) seems to be related to possible lean/rich programming based on temperature, but I do have 1 injector with approx 2-3 misfires on a typical 20 mile trip, while the others register none. ill run a log and a download tomorrow and see what we get...
Thanks for the assist guys!

Back