VCDS on tablett with hex can usb cable

bjkandre

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=210865
are there any app for vcds for android tablett and usb hex can cable?? or is it only wifi and mobile and no cable that is on the marked??

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
VCDS and the HEX-USB+CAN is only for Windows.

For anything else (like Android), VCDS-Mobile with a HEX-NET interface.

-Uwe-

bjkandre

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=210865
ok..so you can not connect a hex can usb to a tablett?

Mari

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=150535
If your tablet has a USB-connector, you're able to connect a hex-can cable to it, but there is no driver/software for it so it has no use to try!

Like Uwe said, you then need VCDS-mobile and a Hex-Net interface...

Reactions: Uwe

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
ok..so you can not connect a hex can usb to a tablett?

You could connect it to a Windows 8 tablet.

You cannot connect a HEX-USB+CAN to an Android or other tablet. If you want to run our VCDS - software product on an Android or other tablet, you must buy the HEX-NET wireless interface as it runs our VCDS-Mobile software which is not Windows base, is web browser based...

voughtt

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=229918

This might be the only reason I can think of to use this Surface. I will give it a shot and see what I can learn. It's certainly better as a logging device than any of the laptops I have!

voughtt

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=229918
+1 for using the Surface as a logging/diagnostic device. I may actually buy one with my own money just to use with VCDS. Uwe, you working on an interface for those Holo-goggles MSFT introduced yesterday? :p

icardiag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=113031
VCDS with proper settings can be used on a Windows 8/8.1 tablet without problem - actually I'm using it as a 2nd device in the garage. It's the Lenovo Miix 3 8". What is *really* a big problem is the LCode which is a rather old windows styled app and when using it on touchscreen it's impossible to check the checkboxes by touch. Using the touch keyboard is not so comfortable, as it covers the LCode window and you can't see nothing you're coding.

So I would kindly ask for a new LCode tablet-friendly version. I'd do a new alternative app myself, it's a matter of few hours coding in Visual Studio - but as 99,99% of the label files are encrypted, it has no meaning to do that and me (as well as others) have to rely on the original author, who knows how to decrypt the xpl files...

GTIspirit

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=245724

There are viable Win 8.1 tablet options for cheap, such as an HP Stream 7 for under $100. That's what I'm using VCDS on with micro-CAN dongle. Works quite well though there is a learning curve for not having a real keyboard among other things.

Got the idea from the Vortex where we derailed the thread Can I use Chrombook with Vagcom? to talk about using a Windows 8 tablet with VCDS.

tonysrosstech

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=60094
Hey Bruce I know this is an old thread. I'm wondering if the VCDS "wired" will work on a Windows 10 tablet. I can't find Windows 8 tablets anymore.
Thanks
Tony

JSWTDI09

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96924
Hey Bruce I know this is an old thread. I'm wondering if the VCDS "wired" will work on a Windows 10 tablet. I can't find Windows 8 tablets anymore.
Thanks
Tony

I'm not Bruce, but I can answer your question. VCDS will work perfectly on a Windows 10 tablet. I have 2 tablets running Windows 10 and both run VCDS without a problem. The biggest issue is usually in finding a tablet with a full size USB A connector for the cable. An OTG adapter will work but those micro USB connectors in tablets can be damaged fairly easily. I prefer a tablet with a full size USB connector.

Have Fun!

Don

tonysrosstech

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=60094
Hi Don thanks for the info. I got a tablet Samsung Android and it will not work with my 10 year old VCDS. I will exchange it tomorrow for a Windows 10
tablet. Is any particular one preferred?
Thanks
Tony

JSWTDI09

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96924
Hi Don thanks for the info. I got a tablet Samsung Android and it will not work with my 10 year old VCDS. I will exchange it tomorrow for a Windows 10
tablet. Is any particular one preferred?
Thanks
Tony

I have seen several that will work well. My personal favorite (because it is cheap) is branded as an RCA Cambio 10.1". It is a quad core Intel Atom with a detachable keyboard and it has a full size USB connector for your cable and that USB connector is on the tablet part (I've seen some nice ones with the USB on the keyboard part). The best part is that I only paid $89.95 for it at WalMart.com. You should be able to find it for under $100 (US).

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I also have a Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet which also runs Windows 10 but is only has a micro USB connector, so it is probably better suited for a HEX-NET interface (wi-fi). I have run VCDS on both computers without any problems but I find the 8" one a bit small for my old eyes.

Reactions: Uwe
Back