Dynamic Chassis Control Retrofit

dieseltje

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=148044
In my B6 I feel big difference between comfort an normal and also to sport.
I heard that commence often from drivers with MQB platform.

Cuzoe

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=279487
Has anybody been able to find this harness from a different seller? I ordered/paid from the one linked early in the thread (which shows 18 in stock) but they never shipped and did/do not respond to any messages. My purchase was automatically refunded after 10 days. Glad I got the refund but I want the harness.

Cuzoe

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=279487
Do you have part numbers for the connectors/pins? The wiring is simple enough, and so is sourcing, it's just the part numbers that's a drag.

dieseltje

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=148044
I bought the DCC ecu with connector and 20 cm loom on it🙈
Next week I’m back home. Will see what information I have for you.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
In my B6 I feel big difference between comfort an normal and also to sport.
I heard that commence often from drivers with MQB platform.

What I've read that the PQ chassis cars have bigger effect with DCC modes. MQB they've made it more subtle.

There is a difference but it's subtle. Sport is stiffer for sure. It is really really nice to cruise at higher speeds with sport mode. There's zero body roll and the car is "sucked" to the road. Comfort is much more wallowy.

dieseltje

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=148044
Last week I was in Italy and I was so happy with the comfort mode in my B6. The roads in the villages do suck. Now I’m traveling home and in Germany cruising with 160 km/h in sports and no issues😊

Cuzoe

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=279487
I have a lot of the car taken apart right now for other retrofits. From looking through pictures of various DCC parts I think I can find part numbers for connectors. It is not expensive to find the small plugs on Ali with short wire pigtails, just have to wait a while for shipping. I am leaning towards building the harness myself (because I don't want to have my car in pieces for 2 months waiting on shipping) and pre-wiring to all the locations for sensors/connectors. It will be a long time before I switch to DCC anyway, going to switch axles/hubs with those from a GTI/R since DCC struts are 55mm and not 50mm like I have now.

Cuzoe

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=279487
I'm still working on this but thought I would throw in some details and part numbers for anybody thinking about it. To begin with this I'm doing this on a NAR 2015 Golf TDI S. As far as previously completed retrofits the only one I suspect might matter is Driving Profiles. The seller linked earlier in this thread still has it listed and I originally ordered from them. It never shipped and they did not respond to messages. AliExpress auto-refunded me the full amount. I reached out to seller Aidu Auto (who is pretty responsive to messages) and asked if they had the DCC harness. They don't have a listing up but sent me a custom invoice and shipped it out a day later. Fast forward to me having the harness in hand...

All the pins and colors match the Erwin drawing... good. Noticed the wiring going to the rear level sensor (G76) breaks off with the Gateway wiring (driver foot/dash area) :confused: . Well, it turns out this harness is built with the expectation that your car has auto-leveling headlights, and therefore already has the rear level sensor. And that sensor would be wired to the headlight range module (J745), which is under the steering wheel near the gateway. This harness would have you de-pin the three G76 wires from J745 and re-connect them to the harness going to the DCC module (J250). User ZERO815 over on GolfMk7 clued me in that J250 would then make the rear level data available over the can bus (which the J745) could then use. My TDI S doesn't have G76 or J745 so I had to unwrap part of the harness and splice my own wiring in which goes directly from J250 to G76.

That also means the harness came without the 4 pin connector that is needed to connect to G76. The part number for that connector is 4B0 973 712 A. Source it from wherever, or find a 4 pin pigtail on eBay, but make sure it is 712 A. Part number ...712 does not have the required alignment slot and you would have to use a blade to remove the alignment tab from the level sensor. This same part number is used to connect all three level sensors (front L/R and rear L).

Next issue is that all the 2 pin connectors on this harness are the same part number, 4F0 973 702. There are 7 of these; 4 for the dampers and 3 for the body accelerometers. These connectors have an alignment slot. For the dampers this alignment slot should be offset, towards pin 1. For the accelerometers this alignment slot should be centered, between the pins. Every connector on the harness has the slot offset. So, you can use a blade to "enlarge" the slot on the 3 accelerometer connectors allowing them to connect. Or you can order 3 replacement 2 pin connectors, PN 5K0 973 323. This part number will get you a yellow connector, like those on for the accelerometers that are used for crash sensing. Note that the accelerometers for crash sensing and the adaptive damping system are the same part number, 5Q0 959 651 (or 651B). I assume (but don't know) there is a non-yellow 2 pin connector part number with a centered slot but having yellow connectors is a non-issue to me.
Corrected info posted by @darkchina811 in the next few posts, I explained my confusion in post 153.

I'll update this post as/if I run into anymore issues, and will probably add the 47 pin connector part number in case someone prefers to custom build the entire harness. In my estimation buying the harness pre-built is the way to go. And those that like building harnesses will still have a little fun fixing the minor issues.

Last edited:

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
5Q0 907 376 B - DCC ECU
5G0 907 324 - ECU bracket
6Q0 973 047 - 47pin connector
000 979 133 E - pin 2,8
000 979 135 E - pin 4,8

4H0 973 702 A - connector for shocks and accelerometers (these will fit to both with no modifications)
000 979 034 E - pin for above connector
5Q0 907 651 - accelerometer (this one, not the B version)

4B0 973 712 A - connector for level senders
000 979 019 E - pin for above connector

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=279487
I can't seem to edit my post so I responded here... at some point I got part numbers mixed up for the accelerometers. @darkchina811 is correct that the part number should be 5Q0 907 651. However, when I look at these on eBay the alignment tab is still in the center which means the 2 pin plugs on the harness I received will not plug into them. The plugs on my harness are 4F0 973 702 and @darkchina811 mentioned 4H0 973 702. When I look up either of these the alignment slot is offset, as needed for the dampers.
This post was originally a correction of post 149 because I couldn't edit at the time, I can now and have corrected that post.

Last edited:

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
the connector part number ends in A, it's not the same. it will fit to accelerometers and dampers without modifications.

that's what I used to build my DCC harness.

Cuzoe

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=279487
Really wish I could edit posts and line through things that are incorrect... @darkchina811 is correct.

Final verdict, after confusing myself with wrong accelerometers. So when I did my initial research I found DCC accelerometer part number 5Q0 907 651. I bought one on eBay (for the rear left), waiting for a good deal to buy the other two for the front. What the seller sent me is accelerometer part number 5Q0 959 651 :facepalm:. I didn't notice this. But when I started fitting parts to secure wire routing the 2 pin connector wouldn't connect. The rear side impact sensor is in the same area and has a similarly shaped connector (yellow, PN 5K0 973 323). This connector plugged right into the sensor I had received on eBay (not the right part number, but I still hadn't noticed).

I then compared part numbers of my eBay sensor and the side impact sensor. They were the same... but having never looked up the side impact sensor I incorrectly concluded that the side impact sensors and DCC accelerometers were all the same part number. Based on that incorrect assumption, aided by having received the wrong part number sensor... I started down the path of buying new (unnecessary) connectors.

So... DCC accelerometers and dampers all use the same connector. The connectors that came on my harness should work for all. And for what it's worth, the connectors on my harness are 4F0 973 702. Based on pictures this is a match for 4H0 973 702 A but it is not a match for 4H0 973 702 (without the A).

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Really wish I could edit posts and line through things that are incorrect.
You should be able to do so now, at least temporarily. Please let me know when you are done.

-Uwe-

Cuzoe

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=279487
You should be able to do so now, at least temporarily. Please let me know when you are done.

-Uwe-
It worked, thanks for enabling that for me... don't want to leave incorrect/confusing info up there.

Reactions: Uwe

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I double checked on ETKA and there are 3 options of connector for the accelerometer: 5Q0 973 752 / 07P 973 702 / 4H0 973 702 A

for the damper ETKA only specs 5Q0 973 752

now I am a little confused and can't honestly remember what I ended up using, but it was the same, because I ordered 7 pieces.

Cuzoe

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=279487
No worries... I received one of my proper 5Q0 907 651 accelerometers in the mail yesterday. I'll grab it from my box today and confirm the connectors on my harness (4F0 973 702) fit. That will at least let anybody else buying this harness know if they need to order 2 pin connectors separately. Even if they don't fit I would still buy the harness. At least then you already have the pins and are likely de-pinning everything to fit it through grommets anyway. I'll have my rear accelerometer installed this weekend, and have fed the harnesses into each of the rear wheel areas. For the time being they will be stowed as I don't have the dampers yet...

Speaking of which, The Mk7 TDI has torsion beam rear and (to my knowledge) you couldn't get it with DCC. So, does anybody with ETKA access (and some time on their hands) want to confirm part number for the rear damper of a torsion beam MQB vehicle with DCC? I found the following for a 2017 Seat Leon with torsion beam and DCC... 5Q0 513 119L and 119N.

What I did find is that some sites that list Bilstein B4 damptronic rear damper (20-238988) show it is an interchange part for Seat Leon damper and the rear damper for the MK7 GTI (5Q0 513 045AK). Bilstein lists the same part for the Mk7 R as well. This makes me somewhat confident that I can order the Bilstein damptronics if I can't find a low mileage set of struts/dampers from a GTI. The Bilsteins are cheaper than new OEM parts so that's the direction I'll go if I buy new.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
ETKA says 5Q0 513 119 L for torsion beam on a 2015 Golf.

Cuzoe

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=279487
Sweet, cool that it matches what I saw for the Seat Leon... doubt I can find that OEM part here in the states but searches for it bring up the B4 OEM replacement that I can get.

Cuzoe

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=279487
So... ordered B4 Damptronics, front and rear. Have not installed the fronts but I expect no problems there. In the rear, it turns out the lower bushing on the DCC damper is 60mm wide where as the lower bushing (and opening on the torsion beam) on stock TDI dampers is only 45mm. That means dampers intended for the GTI/R (or maybe any IRS Mk7 Golf or variant) will not fit into the provided opening of the torsion beam. The solution was to apply some heat and push the lower bushing out of the DCC damper, then replace it with the lower bushing from my stock dampers. It was an absolute pain.

The B4 damptronics do come up as the replacement part for the factory 5Q0 513 119 L DCC damper that ETKA calls out for a torsion beam Golf. I couldn't source the 5Q0 513 119 L. So either the sites listing the Bilstein damper I bought as the replacement for ...119 L are incorrect, or DCC equipped torsion beam Golfs have a different part number torsion beam in the rear with a wider 60mm opening.

Second issue is that the offshoot of the damper for the connector does not clear the DEF tank on the right side if turned inboard. I should say that I don't know if it should be turned inboard or outboard but on the left side it face inboard. On the right side it only has clearance if facing outboard. It's close (but not touching) to the back of the hub with wheels off the ground but has plenty of clearance once the suspension is loaded.

In the end, despite some obstacles, got the rear dampers installed... retrofit continues.

Back