shzgNNX.gif

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think you pretty much have to be from (or at least have spent some time in) Philly to grok this:

But if you are/do....
tyFGzUy.gif

-Uwe-

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
It reminded me of the hard years, either, God forbid it happens again. :facepalm: ;)

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
^^^^^ Do you know what's really sad about that picture? I know that it was taken on the 8-mile stretch of I-81 between Fort Chiswell and Wytheville...because I have no life!

When I was coming home from down south last month, I snapped a *much* clearer picture of the "Winchester 50" sign. Traffic was at a dead stop, so I had plenty of time to pull out the fruitphone and snap a non-blurry photo:

20210510195541-07cb86a5.png

In case it comes up in Trivial Pursuit, Jennifer and I are under contract and waiting to close on a 5-acre wooded lakeside lot in South Carolina, on a sizable motorboat lake. We plan to build our 20-car retirement garage with a bedroom (barndominium) in the next 2-3 years, so it will be a quick exit from the oppressive taxes of New Yorkistan. Believe it or not, the current owner is paying less than $10 per YEAR in total property taxes on that 5-acre vacant lot.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Speaking of funny signs on I81..

D8JJBXJ.jpg

Anyone wanna venture a guess what the speed limit is there?

It's 70 MPH. So the sign effectively says: Use right lane if going less than the speed limit. :cool:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I don't know, but Virginia's top speed limit is 70 MPH. Every time that I read those signs, it sounds to me like I can drive a truck or tow a trailer in the passing lane(s) as long as I exceed the speed limit! My guess is that somebody forgot to take down that sign after a drop of the posted limit to 65/60/55 MPH, or for an ongoing I-81 construction zone.

These are the Virginia signs that crack me up:

552c4b5c5dedd.image.jpg

From a quick web search, it appears that a state law in 2000 required them to put up the signs. The State Police stopped the patrols in 2011 or so, because the $150/hour flight time for a Cessna, pay for a pilot and VASCAR operator in the plane, plus troopers on the ground to issue citations was cost-prohibitive for the few citations that were written. On top of that, they had to pay overtime for both the VASCAR operator *and* the ground officer to appear in court should any of the ticketed parties fight the charge. Their state law was apparently never amended to let them take the signs down, and I only hope that they don't come up with another hair-brained idea like patrolling from unmanned drones since the signs are still there.....