2020 US Presidential Election

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Pennsylvania held a primary on Tuesday and at least from my perspective it operated not much differently than in past years. Masks were encouraged and more space was arranged between voters and officials. My county Montgomery County used to use membrane keyboard type voting machines but starting in 2018 (? I think) they changed to a fill in the dot with a sharpie on a paper ballot. Each voter feeds the ballot into a scanner that registers the votes. Here's the statewide results so far (mail in deadlines were extended and some votes are still being counted:

https://electionreturns.pa.gov/

8,988 Out of 9,128 Districts (98.47%) Reporting Statewide

DEM:
SANDERS, BERNARD 18.56% 183,868 Votes
BIDEN, JOSEPH ROBINETTE JR 77.93% 772,253 Votes
GABBARD, TULSI 3.51% 34,792 Votes
Total 990,913 Democrat votes

TRUMP, DONALD J. 93.88% 878,886 Votes
DE LA FUENTE, ROQUE ROCKY 1.50% 14,029 Votes
WELD, WILLIAM F 4.62% 43,231 Votes
Total 936,146 Republican votes

I was surprised that Sanders got so many votes despite having dropped out and thrown his support behind Biden. Also Trump got 106,633 more votes than Biden in a state where Trump defeated Clinton by 44,292 votes in 2016. Also almost 2 million people bothered to vote in a primary where the results were pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
DEM:
SANDERS, BERNARD 18.56% 183,868 Votes
BIDEN, JOSEPH ROBINETTE JR 77.93% 772,253 Votes
GABBARD, TULSI 3.51% 34,792 Votes
Total 990,913 Democrat votes

TRUMP, DONALD J. 93.88% 878,886 Votes
DE LA FUENTE, ROQUE ROCKY 1.50% 14,029 Votes
WELD, WILLIAM F 4.62% 43,231 Votes
Total 936,146 Republican votes
One might draw the conclusion that Republicans are far more united behind Trump than Dems are behind Biden.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
One might draw the conclusion that Republicans are far more united behind Trump than Dems are behind Biden.

-Uwe-
Time clock changed and has been reset, I think this information is inconsequential.

Outcome will be far different possibly & different than the Right might be so cock sure of.

People including Democrats, Independents & Republicans voted for Trump last time & no matter what PIC comment or action, that is indeed history!

Didn't they do this because in the back of their head, they believed "past tense" he would do things desired to get the Country too a better place & by cutting through alleged bullshit!, kind of like stocks?

Right now you have to consider where are people at the back of their mind, right?

Right now people are fat and flush with cash from sitting home and the up tick will be "temporary" at best, when the party is over from all the BK liquidations, someone will still have to clean up and take out the garbage, right?

Where will the unemployment numbers go going forward and if the COVID acts in a vicious pervasive manner with up tick?

If schools close in the fall with massive unemployment as a result + hyper inflation, will Trump be reelected?

Today ......he is even back pedaling on environment in today's speech, why?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/poli...day-economy-trump-press-conference/index.html

Mike R

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=126524
Upon watching the video of the old man being shoved by Buffalo Police Officers, it really doesn't look like there was any ill intent there. Dude was just an old man who frankly was overstepping his bounds. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. The officers were instructed to clear the area and they hardly used any force at all. I wish you a full recovery, but go home old man.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
go home old man.
^ ^^^hmm.......I was in two minds as to whether to respond to this post. However, in thinking further about the value-set that underpins these simple 4 words, I felt it important to put pen-to-paper (yes, a phrase used by "old men")!

As an old man myself (not quite as old as the Buffalo man), I'd suggest that it might be prudent to look beyond a person's age when making judgments about the entitlement of citizens to exercise their civil rights in the same manner as "younger folk"!

I'm not an American (I'm a proud Australian), but the last time that I read your Declaration of Independence (a very fine document -indeed), I don't recall that Thomas Jefferson included an age caveat in his statement about the universal equality of your country's citizenship!

If the 4 simple words in the quote above are the accepted view of that separate (and more entitled) sector of American society; the young:
  • At what age should "old [men] go home"?
  • At what age do the views of the old cease to be relevant to the nation?
  • At what age is it appropriate for old men to become members of the growing numbers of America's forgotten citizens
What a stunningly amazing synopsis to conclude given the catalyst for America's riots!!!

Don

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'm not sure what the discussion a few posts up has to do with the topic at hand, i.e. the 2020 Presidential Election, but...

It has now come out that the "old man" who was "shoved to the ground" is a known activist/agitator, and that the incident was likely staged, including fake blood.
https://twitter.com/Tfarchsa_Sm/status/1269388048388755458

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I'm not sure what the discussion a few posts up has to do with the topic at hand, i.e. the 2020 Presidential Election, but...

It has now come out that the "old man" who was "shoved to the ground" is a known activist/agitator, and that the incident was likely staged, including fake blood.
https://twitter.com/Tfarchsa_Sm/stat...88048388755458

-Uwe-

Yeah......what's this have to do with the Election? :p
Are the medical charts and care being administrated, all a forged instrument too and a conspiracy of HIPPA? :rolleyes:
Don't the mans legs look crossed failing down and phone indeed hits pavement after things start to go off line?

Do people maintain a grip and bite down during being knocked out?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404

https://twitter.com/Tfarchsa_Sm/status/1269388048388755458

-Uwe-
Uwe- please understand that my response "a few posts up" wasn't intended as a critique of the members of the Ross family and I agree that it has little to "do with the topic at hand" - other than my suspicion that the current dynamic in America might impact on the November elections. Rather, my reply was intended to repudiate the lingering notion in these posts that somehow the views of some citizens (in any country) that can be labeled as "old men" are worth less, or worse are worthless compared to the views of their counterparts. Shirley this is an undeniable truth in every civilized democracy!

And, I'm not sure that referencing the personal comments of Twitter users to substantiate the "old man's" bone-fides is relevant. I'm a believer in the benefits of social media - but the practice of relying on this facility as judge-jury-and executioner is.......well....... less-than-ideal IMOl!!

Don

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Jack: An interview between Sean Hannity and the Donald is unlikely to be informative, or enlightening ( and as to be expected - even the audience questions were soporific and indulgent)!!

Don

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I found the last quarter enlightening and more sure of my prior synoptics to extricate the Country of equivocation, I'm surprised you disagree?

Just one equivocation for another I imagine, how about you, what you think?

Why pray to God or vote if is all knowing or votes don't count and already the great powers know the answers, it is not like you can bargain with omnipotence right, why waste time?

Unlikely to win fighting city hall, however, there are some rare occasions they burn it down and they just build a new one?

It's one thing to give non answers as an elected official, it's an entire other to take pride in it and that is a serious problem when general public wants a valid answer is it not?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I found the last quarter enlightening and more sure of my prior synoptics to extricate the Country of equivocation, I'm surprised you disagree?

Just one equivocation for another I imagine, how about you, what you think?
I think that the entire event was orchestrated to appeal to the faithful. You are closer to the action than me - perhaps there is a perception among the Republicans at the current time that Trump is loosing support from his traditional voters - maybe? I suspect that this was a very targeted exercise - certainly not intended to sway the votes from undecided citizens (I think)

Why pray to God or vote if is all knowing or votes don't count and already the great powers know the answers, it is not like you can bargain with omnipotence right, why waste time?
Jack: I'm not sure if you are a "religious" bloke and I certainly don't intend any offense if you are - but if America is relying on an omnipotent deity (of any creed, color, or sect) to provide the correct democratic outcome, then God help us all (pun intended)!!

Unlikely to win fighting city hall, however, there are some rare occasions they burn it down and they just build a new one?

It's one thing to give non answers as an elected official, it's an entire other to take pride in it and that is a serious problem when general public wants a valid answer is it not?
I'm with you 101% - but alas your current POTUS has a long habit of believing that all that voters deserve are glib, non-specific answers to what are in reality important questions!! Alas, this is "the cult of the personality" - works OK in Television-Land, but entirely inappropriate when garnering support from voters (IMHO, of course)

Don

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack: I'm not sure if you are a "religious" bloke and I certainly don't intend any offense if you are - but if America is relying on an omnipotent deity (of any creed, color, or sect) to provide the correct democratic outcome, then God help us all (pun intended)!!
IDK actually still confused & due to programming errors in my cortex for x-sum errors.
Both Science and Religion are a bunch of liar's and math is wrong as reported, am I wrong?

Just because it's written doesn't make it so.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
IDK actually still confused & due to programming errors in my cortex for x-sum errors.
Both Science and Religion are a bunch of liar's and math is wrong as reported, am I wrong?

Just because it's written doesn't make it so.
Jack: hmm........ them's mighty simple question - but, with extremely complex answers

Religion - I'm a self described "born again agnostic". I have the upmost respect for those that have faith - but for me, the costs of believing (be it believing in a formal religion, or believing in what some call "spirituality") far outweigh the benefits. However, I have seen the power of faith in others in times of extreme stress (like the death of a loved-one) and I admire the salve that religion can provide to those who search for answers when none can be found by us non-believers - it's truly amazing!!

But I freely acknowledge that I have no better evidence for the absence of a merciful God than the devout have in the existence of such a deity. Same goes for the belief in a devil!!

Science - I happen to like the concept in trusting in observations, particularly in repeated observations! However, scientific truth is only temporary - until further observations proves otherwise.

Mathematics - Here we must disagree; mathematics is the language of the cosmos and everything in it !!! ;)

Don.

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack: hmm........ them's mighty simple question - but, with extremely complex answers

Religion - I'm a self described "born again agnostic". I have the upmost respect for those that have faith - but for me, the costs of believing (be it believing in a formal religion, or believing in what some call "spirituality") far outweigh the benefits. However, I have seen the power of faith in others in times of extreme stress (like the death of a loved-one) and I admire the salve that religion can provide to those who search for answers when none can be fund by us non-believers - it's truly amazing!!

But I freely acknowledge that I have no better evidence for the absence of a merciful God than the devout have in the existence of such a deity. Same goes for the belief in a devil!!

Science - I happen to like the concept in trusting in observations, particularly in repeated observations! However, scientific truth is only temporary - until further observations proves otherwise.

Mathematics - Here we must disagree; mathematics is the language of the cosmos and everything in it !!! ;)

Don.
Oh I have faith in myself and my ability to make a mistake, some peoples abilities or that other life exists in the universe, even in some ideas, just not in the greatest fiction storybook ever told by man generation to generation. This is like playing kindergarten "pass it on telephone at the lunch table" and the story changes by other side in 5 minutes.

I can find much more plausible fiction plots that make far more sense & fun, for example "The Magic Garden" Story box session!

Is there something, IDK maybe, I can't prove it or disprove it when someone says they talk too "whoever".

Sorry, context on "math" is that the sums are wrong for what adds up in "history time line" not that math is wrong, just the math being displayed is invalid for inetrgers used & to proceeed with solving for X, well they are bullshit, kind of like creative banking fees?

The devil is far more entertaining....... :rolleyes:

Bruce

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Why pray to God ....?
Most of us believers do not pray for the outcome. We pray that God would enable those who are in leadership positions to have wisdom - to make decisions based on truth - moral code - rather than on self-serving code. The outcome will be what it will be. It would be our hope that the God we know to love all would bestow a measure of wisdom on those who lead.

Since you have read "the greatest story ever told" enough times, did you pay attention to the stories of the Old Testament? One can see that in the story God influenced non-believers. Our prayers today are that He would again influence the minds of non-believing leaders and bring about a quietness that might lead to meaningful dialog among people. The division in this country, if not healed, will lead to its destruction.

Ever study the time before the Civil War? The 1840's and 1850's was time of huge division - Slavery being the rally point. Realistically, I contend it was more about the wealth growing in the North versus the existing wealth of the landowners in the South. Slavery became the rallying point around which the divisions could be entrenched. The outcome? I believe it still ranks as the bloodiest war Americans have fought but I could be wrong on that.

If we do not find a way to communicate and work through our differences, the entrenchment of sides will lead to armed conflict. Riots are a symptom... Unrest is a symptom... Look back to the times before major conflicts.. unrest is rampant.

Jack we do not ask God to end the strife, to set the outcome. We know as believers it is our responsibility to make the decisions and try to effect change. We implore our God to help us listen, to choose, and to use His Wisdom in working with all.

As to His omnipotence and His foreknowledge, yes, I believe he knows what will come. To blame him for what will come is to make a grievous error. He lets man be man. My belief is that as he watches man doing man's thing, He cries. I do not believe He intends for humanity to hate, to fight. It is man who has trouble with the idea of not fighting, not inflaming dialog and so on. Man wants to be right - to win. If each of us is honest, we can relate.

You also alluded that science is all wrong... that was curious to me given that you seem to be one who pursues scientific knowledge. Sure, science makes mistakes for what is science? Is it not the study of physical things to understand the truth of their inner workings? As tools progress and we learn more, can it not be seen that what was believed to be true with old tools will need to be re-defined in light of new tools and new discoveries? Science is a process. It is not static. Some discovered facts can be held as absolutes. Others are evolving as we are evolving.

Likewise, Math is a process - not static. As new ideas and approaches evolve, old ways have to be modified. Does this make these useless? For any given moment in time, the science and math known are the best guess. They are not the end. New ideas need to be explored and the results of those ideas need to be applied...

-----------------

Now, we are totally off subject here for this thread. So let's bring it back:

Trump/Biden - do either of them hold truth in their hands? I think not. Once again, the American people are faced with the decision to make an impossible choice. Once again, Americans will have to decide which they feel is able to lead through these times. I am convinced that the baggage Trump will be pulling behind him will indeed hurt his chances. He has not been a stellar leader. He does not like to work with others. He likes to be King. His ways are brutal to the established norm of the politics Washington style.

The other side blames him for all the wrongs as happens in any election where a crisis has occurred shortly before the election cycle. Biden just needs to sit by and not make any big mistakes... Trump has the problem of being the President. In Biden's career, I'm not remembering him making any big blunders... Mind, I don't recall him accomplishing anything either... My guess is he is being told, "Lay low. Let Trump did a hole so deep, he cannot get out of it." Seems to me that is what Trump is doing... digging the hole.

And to Don, yes, the Donald is loosing his constituency... little by little. They are looking at the madness of these times and asking themselves, "Is Donald the right one for these times?"