aftermarket stereo reception.

DimeGuy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224621
Hi guys. I've been looking for some info. regarding this issue for months... My wife and I have GTI's and we are both having issues with stereo reception. Hers is a 2003 1.8T and mine is a 2002 VR-6. We both have the same model Alpine CDA-9883. We both have powered antenna adapters as necessary, as well. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

DimeGuy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224621
Thanks for that pic, Golfi_vend. ours were not bad, but I did replace both of them in hopes of remedying the issue (I did replace them with "Shark Fin" units for a cleaner look). When I worked at VW, we were able to turn up the sensitivity of the antenna (and I can't remember how...this was back in 2000-2001). So, I was thinking the next step is to see if the antenna cables are open or damaged somewhere from the head unit to the antenna.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
You do know that shark-fin is only for GSM or GPS and will reduce signal? Or are you talking about some aftermarket stuff? Still, a fellow from our local vw-club said that it's still crap compared to OE antenna. Rather but a shark-fin decoy and windshield antenna, blaupunkt was the one i think he used, also said that cheaper options were crap.

About the antenna wire. Do you have your OE radio? You could temp. replace yours with it and see how reception is, also assuming coding in radio is correct(enabled phantom supply) you should be able to connect via diagnosis to radio and seek for fault of antenna.

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
The commonality is the Alpine. I remember from some of the Alpines I've had in the past; they have a 'Local' and 'DX' setting for the radio. Local is for when you're very close to a transmitter site and attenuates the signal; so if you can, see if you can or are set to DX.