PQ vs MQB - retrofittings differences

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
I've been doing retrofits to PQ47 platform cars as a hobby and have some proficiency in doing things. I'm looking into expanding into doing MQB retrofits as well but I haven't had a chance to peek inside this platform yet, so I have some questions.

I'm planning a Lane Assist retrofit on a 2015 Passat B8, which already has ACC and PLA 3.0 from the factory.

* First order or business is switched power for the camera. According to WD, its taken from the fuse SC32 but this is already occupied by a fuse powering the ACC radar and so on. I made a pic of this particular fusebox and in this particular car, there are no other 12v switched mini fuse positions available. At this point, people would say - use an "add a fuse" but this is lazy and not at all OEM in my opinion. On PQ, I added new circuits to the SC fusebox to keep it looking OEM. I'm looking to do the same for MQB. But since there were no unoccupied switched positions available, I'm thinking of tapping into the SC32 circuit behind the fusebox. But there are no pictures available how it looks like under the dashboard, looking up at the bottom of the fusebox. So If I removed the dashboard cover above the pedals, will I get a clear view of whats behind the fusebox?

* Second order of business is connecting the extended CAN to the CAN gateway. On the B8, the gateway seems to be under the dash between the fusebox and steering column. Would this also be accessible from under the dash?

* Finally, because the car has ACC, a Sensor Fusion CAN bus has to be ran from the A5 camera and connected to the ACC radar. On the WD, this connection goes through a couple of coupling points called TIUL (next to dead pedal) and TML (right in engine bay). Now this is where its a new world for me and I don't quite understand the benefits of using those coupling points. I assume VW hasn't changed their stance of having no unnecessary wiring in their cars - so there are no pre-wired CAN wires between TIUL and TML and so on? There are just planned breaks in wiring to make for easier manufacture?

* What about places in the firewall to route additional wires through? While writing this, I came across this article on the e-Golf - is it safe to assume the B8 has the rubber boots in the same locations? https://forums.mwerks.com/showthrea...it-Multi-Function-Steering-Wheel-to-e-Golf-SE

Edit: Posted and realized the title doesn't reflect well on the topic.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Edit: Posted and realized the title doesn't reflect well on the topic.
I'll be happy to change it for you if you tell me exactly what you want it to be.

-Uwe-

myounus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321059
If there are no available slots then my advice would be to use add a fuse, as it's an accessible fuse. If you're tempted to 'tap-in' to another terminal 15 connection feed then you'd still need to output a fuse location. I have on some retrofits added a fuse bank for additional connections (dash cam, inverter, etc) and added a page in the manual pointing out fuse numbers and locations. My advice - keep it simple and easy, use add a fuse.

You can access the modules from under the dash.

I would follow the original wiring diagrams and joints/coupling locations including ground points. When fault finding in the future it makes life a heck of job easier. I couldn't comment on the wiring location pass thrus on the bulkhead. Just follow the wires!

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
I'll be happy to change it for you if you tell me exactly what you want it to be.

-Uwe-
"Retrofitting fuse and CAN circuits to MQB platform", please.
If there are no available slots then my advice would be to use add a fuse, as it's an accessible fuse. If you're tempted to 'tap-in' to another terminal 15 connection feed then you'd still need to output a fuse location. I have on some retrofits added a fuse bank for additional connections (dash cam, inverter, etc) and added a page in the manual pointing out fuse numbers and locations. My advice - keep it simple and easy, use add a fuse.

You can access the modules from under the dash.

I would follow the original wiring diagrams and joints/coupling locations including ground points. When fault finding in the future it makes life a heck of job easier. I couldn't comment on the wiring location pass thrus on the bulkhead. Just follow the wires!
Thanks. I was planning to "tap-in" via soldering. As I said, the existing fuse SC32 also powers the front camera from the factory. After having thought about it, I bought an add a fuse to use with the SC32 position to keep it simpler. The car is a lease and if need be, everything can be removed easily.

I checked over the grounding points and the most convenient seemed the roof ground. Later checked the WD and lo and behold - its the factory location also.