2014 Golf R missing drive select modes after MIB upgrade

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
Hi All,
Just thought I would share something that has taken a few months to eventually nut out.
Thanks as usual go to Golfi_vend for suggesting the procedure. :thumbs:

2014 Golf R that originally had the MIB1 and 6.5 inch screen.

Retrofitted MIB 2.5 and 9.2 inch screen along with active info display.
After these were completed, the car had lost 2 of the 5 drive select modes, namely Race and Eco.
Not saying that this is the only possible way to restore them, but we tried a LOT of different approaches, and this is what worked:

1. replace the 5Q0 CANbus gateway module with a newer 3Q0 gateway. In our case it was a 5Q0907530AM replaced with a 3Q0907530L.
2. Visit dealer to remove CP
3. Apply parameter set from 2018 Golf R to newly installed 3Q0 gateway
4. Correct gateway installation list and coding

Responsibly enjoy a programmed launch control from your newly restored Race mode.

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
I have a feeling that after installing the Active Info Display, when CP is removed and it clears the FEC from the gateway that the parameters are also lost.

So possibly with the original 5Q0 gateway installed the drive modes might have been able to be restored via SCM after FEC were restored.

But in the process of trying to figure this out I decided to try installing a gateway that would be factory installed with the AID and MIB2.5, so the original car's gateway parameter set was no longer applicable (unless we installed it again, removed CP, restored FEC etc)

myounus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321059
It sounds like the AID is related to the loss of FEC codes. Was the AID removed from an R or another model?
What happens if you change the gateway to the original one (AM) with the standard clocks and then swap the AID afterwards?

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
While it would be a good exercise to do these experiments it's all working now so I think it will stay like that.
The car is in another city and I was doing this remotely.