Loran making a comeback, sort of

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/news_...ut_eloran_stations_backup_vulnerable_gps.html

The UK’s pursuit of technology to counter the threat of GPS jamming has achieved a significant milestone, and is setting the benchmark across the globe.

It was announced today that seven differential eLoran stations will be installed along the South and East coast of the UK, following approval by the Department for Transport.
The stations will provide alternative position, navigation and timing (PNT) information to ensure that ships equipped with eLoran receivers can navigate safely in the event of GPS failure in one of the busiest shipping regions in the world.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LORAN

Now.... if we could just teach these young whippersnappers how to use a sextant and sea watch.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
I can't tell you how many boats and planes I've seen where the owner is still holding panel space for a Loran unit.

"You know all Loran stations were decommissioned years ago, right?"
"Yeah" (looks at shoes).

I've always been fascinated by celestial nav. I have read a number of books where people were seriously F'd and lost at sea, and yet with very "primitive" means were able to keep track of their position while they drifted and when rescued were pretty damn close.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
"You know all Loran stations were decommissioned years ago, right?"
"Yeah" (looks at shoes).

Are you serious? The repair shop told me that my LORAN just had a bad antenna connector when it lost signal! :) Next thing you'll probably tell me is that I can't make a collect call through the Marine Operator via VHF channel 26 any more..... :)