What’s everyone using for vcds

Matt k

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345211
I have a acer laptop at the moment and it’s fine just rubbish battery so have to have a lead running to the car to plug it in , thinking maybe get a refurb netbook just for vcds get s good few hours batteries life

Cheers Matt

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
I'm using this cheapo windows tablet/laptop @ https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?14128-windows-10-tablet-for-vcds-rca-cambio-10-1

it is slow as heck, and not sure if I would want to use it on a daily basis for professional work, but it works well enough for the shade tree mechanic in me, and the battery lasts sufficiently through an all afternoon+ workload.

If I were to need something more professional, I would look for slightly older used mac laptops with full size usb ports, and run windows on them fulltime for vcds.

Matt k

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345211
Think I will do the same get something cheap and small with good battery even if I get a new battery for my acer not sure it will last long still . So think a netbook . Not sure I would want to use my MacBook Pro out in the car tbh

Cheers Matt

Matt k

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345211
Yeah good idea but not really wanting to use my MacBook Pro out on the car thinking maybe a little netbook or smiting they doesn’t matter if dropped

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
whenever @Uwe gets around to making a full fledged IOS app replacement for windows vcds, then an ipad (mini/regular/pro) would be a nice device for vcds.

and hex-net web doesn't count.

:D :banghead: :popcorn:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
whenever @Uwe gets around to making a full fledged IOS app replacement for windows vcds,

dont-hold-your-breath.jpg

:D

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
I have no doubt, if you created a native ios app, and an IOS compatible obd interface (either bluetooth or lightning or even wifi based like hex-net+windows vcds), it would outsell your legacy products.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have no doubt, if you created a native ios app, and an IOS compatible obd interface (either bluetooth or lightning or even wifi based like hex-net+windows vcds), it would outsell your legacy products.
You realize iOS only has something on the order of a 20% market share, right?

-Uwe-

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
The way you work with VCDS would need a change too then...
A typical iOS App has no more than 2 buttons or so...

"Analyze it"
"Fix it"

Seems challenging...

Reactions: Uwe

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
You realize iOS only has something on the order of a 20% market share, right?

-Uwe-

Market share of what ? where ?

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/united-states-of-america

https://deviceatlas.com/blog/android-v-ios-market-share

/shrug

Despite any market share stats, please show me any type of hand held form factor that could be suitable for vcds/automotive-centric type diagnostics, that isn't either a full fledged laptop, a clunky wintab like I have, or perhaps an MS surface tablet (or clone).

If you built an IOS (or even a multi-platform native mobile app) ecosystem for vehicle diagnostics, then it would be something incredible for the form factor.

There are even multi-platform development systems that will let you build apps for all major platforms from a single code base.

An ipad or ipad pro in an otterbox type of case, with a modernized vcds app + interface, how could one *not* want to buy one.

Heck I have a hex-net and I would sell it and switch to an IOS based diagnostics system in a heartbeat.

and I don't even like apple that much. But they make undeniably great hardware, and they continue to support that hardware far longer than the android ecosystem.

And there has not been a good android tablet since the nexus 7 2013.

But anyway, I did not mean to derail the thread, your company will do whatever it is you want it to do. Its merely my own opinion where the future lies and I think you're missing out, and your (potential) customers are missing out.

:)

Last edited:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
10" Chuwi tablet running Win 10 Pro

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
Market share of what ? where ?

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/united-states-of-america

https://deviceatlas.com/blog/android-v-ios-market-share

/shrug

Despite any market share stats, please show me any type of hand held form factor that could be suitable for vcds/automotive-centric type diagnostics, that isn't either a full fledged laptop, a clunky wintab like I have, or perhaps an MS surface tablet (or clone).

If you built an IOS (or even a multi-platform native mobile app) ecosystem for vehicle diagnostics, then it would be something incredible for the form factor.

There are even multi-platform development systems that will let you build apps for all major platforms from a single code base.

An ipad or ipad pro in an otterbox type of case, with a modernized vcds app + interface, how could one *not* want to buy one.

Heck I have a hex-net and I would sell it and switch to an IOS based diagnostics system in a heartbeat.

and I don't even like apple that much. But they make undeniably great hardware, and they continue to support that hardware far longer than the android ecosystem.

And there has not been a good android tablet since the nexus 7 2013.

But anyway, I did not mean to derail the thread, your company will do whatever it is you want it to do. Its merely my own opinion where the future lies and I think you're missing out, and your (potential) customers are missing out.

:)

Following your reasoning, an Android based tablet-app should then be preferable?

Matt k

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345211
Cheers for that and it runs fine ?

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
Well I've always used VCDS on VirtualBox (the free Virtual Machine software by Oracle) and I never had any issues.
However, -Uwe- made me aware that de device management layer of the VM might make things a bit complicated when, for example, updating the firmware of my Hex V2.

After this, to avoid connection problems and bricking etc, I switched to using the Bootcamp option of OSX and it works like a charm.
It takes some time to switch OS'es and make life a bit more complicated when accessing documents, they are all on the OSX partition.
But I managed to get used to it and with a good AFS driver (apple file system) it works just fine.

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
If you're using VCDS for complex tasks (e.g. coding), it's always going to be preferable to have a physical keyboard rather than a virtual on-screen keyboard which covers a large portion of the display when in use.
Were VCDS to be made into an iOS app you would be sacrificing that.

While more cumbersome to carry around, VCDS still works better on a laptop type device than a keyboard-less tablet (IMHO)

mattylondon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219022
I use an Asus X102BA with Win8, 10.2 inch touch screen, proper keyboard, small and light. Only upgrade is an SSD. Perfect for VCDS!

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Matt k

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=345211
I use an Asus X102BA with Win8, 10.2 inch touch screen, proper keyboard, small and light. Only upgrade is an SSD. Perfect for VCDS!
That’s what I want is the battery life good ??

Back