Warning labels for stupid people

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Ya know... this bread tastes funny and keeps shorting out my toaster... can't believe it doesn't have a warning label :rolleyes:

HZGWprN.jpg

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Did you take apart that perfectly good clock you just bought and promised to leave unmolested?

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Ha! No...
Used my MicroSet to get it properly in beat last night though.
All the dingbats around me thought it sounded 'wonderful' but to my ear it wasn't quite right, and without a tool and knowledge it was just guesswork [where have we heard that before :D]
It ended up being +47% on average and as bad as +121% - meaning the 'tick' was happening off center, or earlier than the 'tock'
Now it's at +6% which is about as close as I want to get it right now - and it's hard to get much better.

O4rtnxD.jpg

Those are the spring barrels and train works from a sad little Howard Miller 'Barrister' with a 340-020 movement I got on fleaBay.
It was missing a chime rod, hadn't been serviced in 20 years and had a case in deplorable condition - overall a good piece to practice on.
Will look close to this when I'm done, and work properly once the replacement for the e-clip I lost comes in :rolleyes:

traditional-clocks.jpg

ps - In the left side of the picture in the first post you'll see the factory repair manual, so I practice what I preach :p

Last edited:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Ya know... this bread tastes funny and keeps shorting out my toaster... can't believe it doesn't have a warning label :rolleyes:

We had an old phone closet at work that was once shared with the custodial crew, and someone put up a huge plywood "do not put steel wool near this" sign over the 66 blocks. Given that and your toaster, I'm thinking that OSHA needs to mandate warning labels and signage wherever steel wool is handled..... :rolleyes:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
You forgot the butter for the bread Jake........... that's why it doesn't toast right.........

I understand that loaf is the cleansing kind for polyps.
I like the clock timer tool.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Oh hell... I got this nice big bowl of candy out and didn't get on single trick-or-treater :(

f0Mpd0j.jpg

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Oh hell... I got this nice big bowl of candy out and didn't get on single trick-or-treater :(

My wife and I don't buy candy, and keep the outside lights off on Halloween. We don't believe in the "occult" message that Halloween sends to children, like encouraging them to go around asking for handouts, and that it is acceptable to destroy things when they don't get their way. The last thing we want to do is turn our own town into the next Ferguson, MO..... :)

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
My wife and I don't buy candy, and keep the outside lights off on Halloween. We don't believe in the "occult" message that Halloween sends to children, like encouraging them to go around asking for handouts, and that it is acceptable to destroy things when they don't get their way. The last thing we want to do is turn our own town into the next Ferguson, MO..... :)

So true.
I had to install a switch on the doorbell at my last house.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
For those not in the US, we changed our clock back an hour last night.

Got a lovely email this morning from some complete morons I do business with:

YmWPJVF.png

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
We had an old phone closet at work that was once shared with the custodial crew, and someone put up a huge plywood "do not put steel wool near this" sign over the 66 blocks. Given that and your toaster, I'm thinking that OSHA needs to mandate warning labels and signage wherever steel wool is handled..... :rolleyes:
One of the fire-starting methods that Boy Scouts sometimes use is steel wool with a standard 9V battery. I've seen it work. Having occasionally brushed my hand against a 66 block where there were live T1 circuits, or the 96VAC of a ringing POTS line, I can tell you it got my immediate and undivided attention. I have no trouble believing it would light up steel wool.

Also, don't forget your telephones and other circuits may also encounter slight difficulties with dead shorts. :)

Jason

Last edited:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607

then-a-miracle-happens.gif

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I received over 200 "emergency" emails overnight, one from each piece of APC equipment at work when they reverted back to EST time.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Lawn sprinklers + sub-freezing temperatures = PunkSicles

Do the math..... :)

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I don't know where the heck you guys live, but in the communities I've grown up in and lived in, Halloween was when kids put down their video games for a while and went outside to spend time with their friends, and the adults got together with their neighbors around a fire pit and had a few beers.

I'm thinking something like this would go a long way toward dissuading trick-or-treaters..

However, I do need one of those, for reasons. :) The Portal turret version is awesome.

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You must be a youngster, Jason. When I was growing up, there were no video games at all. The first ones appeared about the time I started college. :cool:

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
You must be a youngster, Jason.

And yet he wants us off his lawn.... early onset curmudgeon... probably from hanging around here with me :p

When I was growing up, there were no video games at all.

When I was a kid I had three jobs.
Who had time for vidya games ?

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
When I was a kid I had three jobs.
Who had time for vidya games ?

We aren't all bad. My CV is pretty simple:

1987-1989 - Paperboy (aged 14)
1989-1991 - Pot lad promoted to bar tender at local pub
1991-present - Working for the Railway

Looking back, I feel I was richer when 14 on my paper round than I am now... :(

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
My CV is pretty simple

Mine's a little more convoluted... brief overview:

1976 began full time work on the farms (aged 7)
1978 started working at family Honda dealership as a mechanic when not at farms
1979 apprenticed in all trades with family construction company
1982-1985 stock boy at local mail order house after school
all of the previous ran simultaneously
1987 got smart and went to college
1988 dropped out of college and went back to construction as a lead man
1988 got smart again and started my long career of desk jobs, where the big safety issue is paper cuts :cool:
ca 1998 herded cattle due to broken fence and downed cherry tree (poisonous) in a three piece suit - you can take the cowboy out of the country, but....