Retrofitting AWD to Scirocco mk3

Caddy TFSI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=165313
So try to change byte 12 from 92 to 90. I believe I had tried that already, but decided to give it a go again. Still no luck. But definitely that could be one of the key bytes as in Golf R that's 90 for sure.

I'm starting to believe more on my theory that it just won't accept the combination of Scirocco and 4WD. Perhaps I need to code all possible control modules with e.g. Golf coding. Anyone have a list of all ECUs that are connected to powertrain data bus so I can start looking at their coding?

Did you ever get this working Heikki? I have a similar issue using MK60EC1

Heikki J.

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14516
No, I have not had time to study this. Actually I've been just happy my ESP is not working now that it's been winter in Finland ;)

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
No, I have not had time to study this. Actually I've been just happy my ESP is not working now that it's been winter in Finland ;)

hehe, you're from Finland. :) Are you maybe going to VW Open on 23th to 24th of May?

Heikki J.

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14516
Don't know yet. Probably will make a last minute decision :)

My friend told me that VAG CAN Pro can do some ESP coding, I think I'll visit him and see what can be done with that...

11003288_721612864623335_1227823692_o.jpg

That last line seems interesting too :)

Caddy TFSI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=165313
Let us know how you get on, would love to hear. I haven't managed to get anywhere with mine

Don't know yet. Probably will make a last minute decision :)

My friend told me that VAG CAN Pro can do some ESP coding, I think I'll visit him and see what can be done with that...

11003288_721612864623335_1227823692_o.jpg

That last line seems interesting too :)

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
post your latest autoscan

somlioy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=210881
Just curious, what makes VAG CAN Pro able to program the ESP while Vag-Com can not? They seem very similar when it comes coding.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
VCDS can code it. However, we refuse to pretend we know all the nuances involved in building the correct coding for all those modules as installed in all the different cars they were used in.

-Uwe-

Heikki J.

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14516
Just a heads up, this issue is not solved. Haven't really spent much time with it either. But now MOT inspection is coming in two weeks, I think I'll need to figure out something :)

The only thing I've been able to do is change XMS (byte 17 08->00). Even that coding is not working every time, I don't know what's the magic I do for it to sometimes accept the code, normally it won't. Is it somehow related to cycling ignition on/off?

Anyone else have any other thoughts? Anyway I was planning to spend a few hours today with it. If I can't get it working I guess I'll need to unplug the Haldex connector and code CAN and engine ECU as FWD again. I think that should clear the fault codes for the MOT..

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
VCDS can code it. However, we refuse to pretend we know all the nuances involved in building the correct coding for all those modules as installed in all the different cars they were used in.

-Uwe-

That's what disclosers are for, to use at your own risk with a signed special super user agreement. :)
Same should exist for any config change of recoding or check marks, such as TPMS on gateway etc.

golfi_vend, please don't post/upload files like that which are neither correct, nor complete and will likely result in incorrect coding values. Remember - we are talking about a safety related system here.

Based on the information available to me so far and my understanding of the MK60EC1 coding, what you are trying to achieve cannot be done because something like that was never specified by VW. The MK60EC1 coding highly depends on what characteristics VW put into the module firmware, it isn't as easy as switching between AWD and FWD. The entire combination has to be plausible...

What a lame post considering this is a modified car and Motorsports related.
The fact that the ABS controllers in many stock configs happen to reflect the incorrect size brakes or platform weights/designs ...........tells me it is not so important.

However...........If it was a matter of an "express up windows feature" via a remote to kill/hurt a kid/animal if the pinch protect happens to error out; while you hypothetically are walking away in the other direction leaving unsupervised in some mall parking lot.....you know ? dreaming of the Orange Julius you are about to consume ............. than that seems to be a totally 'okay thing right? OMGSTFU!
Puppy dies or even worse........

http://www.kctv5.com/story/18617629/6-year-old-dies-after-rolling-up-automatic-window-on-neck

OP PM Received.
????? When you installed the engine ecu/recoded or flashed the engine ecu........... did you defeat the immobilizer in the Golf R ecu, or use a modified file in the Scirocco ECU?????

Is the cluster a genuine Scirocco cluster or has it been altered?

Please advise.

Last edited:

Heikki J.

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14516
Hi Jack, thanks for your reply!

The engine ECU and cluster are original from Scirocco. Just the gearbox and rear axle (with Haldex control unit) are from Golf R.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Okay .......my concern here based on this error, is that the "Power class" PC etc. is incorrect.

It maybe possible to change the power class in the flash of ECU, and then the cluster to match allowing for the AWD option to be accepted in the ABS unit.

The ABS unit sees this config from the cluster and the VIN etc........ with other data that may need to be observed.
Now the suspension being different may also cause an issue, however, that could be verified in a Golf R buy disabling, and seeing if it rejected a coding string.

Last edited:

Heikki J.

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14516
Power class should be the same, this is an original Scirocco R with (almost) same engine as Golf R (engine code CDLA vs. CDLF in Golf).

I don't have that Golf R anymore, so can't test anything with that anymore.

I still have the ABS pump + controller and cluster from the donor car, but haven't tried swapping them in. I think I would have tried, but the cluster won't fit Scirocco dashboard...

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I think you may find that the PC is different for 4x4 verse 2WD..........Don't assume ....verify.

Heikki J.

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14516
Do you know where/how the power class is specified in the engine and cluster?

A little update. I now tried to connect the 2010 donor Golf R ABS controller and cluster to see the coding of that. It's got the same code than the 2011 Golf R (except the 5 VIN bytes): 143B800D092800FC280C01E5901900413D0000. But the fault code is different, some adaptation issues with steering assist (which I totally understand).

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Everything has to be a match.......before trying this.

Do you know where/how the power class is specified in the engine and cluster?

I do..............:rolleyes:

Heikki J.

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14516
That helps me a lot :)

Next update. Now I've got the 2010 Golf R ABS controller connected on my car (just the wiring). When I have Scirocco cluster connected, I can successfully code with Scirocco's original coding. When I have Golf cluster connected, I can successfully code with 2010 Golf R original coding.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Correct...........:)

Since so far away ............

Now what happens when both clusters are on CAN broadcast and diodes/filter are used? :p

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Okay now I have a question...............?

Are you able to use the aforementioned login in this thread in your ABS controller with either cluster and after waiting a time lock out?

Heikki J.

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14516
Hmmm... now I have the original setup (Scirocco cluster and ABS controller connected). Now it accepted the SA code (11908). Now when I go to coding the code is shorter (748049002E019200413D0000). Tried to change some bytes but still coding not accepted (out of range error). Should I use short or long code after the SA code is accepted? I don't know what's different since last time I tried when it didn't accept the same code...

Back