Does Ross-Tech Use FTDI USB2Serial Chips In It's Products?

Tom

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227548
A new driver (Windows) for FTDI serial comm chips has "dropped" that bricks non-FTDI products.
Question; Are users of Ross-Tech products at risk here?
Is it "safe" to allow automatic system updates from Microsoft?
(ok, the question about microsoft updates being safe is kinda a joke but still...)

Please read this link if you need additional information about this issue;

http://hackaday.com/2014/10/22/watch-that-windows-update-ftdi-drivers-are-killing-fake-chips/

Hackaday.com is not a site full of weird-o's and trouble makers. It's a respected website. If you are afraid of the name, turn on all your script and ad blocking software.

Personally, I don't allow automatic updates so I'm "safe" from this kind of nonsense. I also use an old and no-longer supported laptop that needs no further updates to do the job I ask of it.
I would like to thank Ross-Tech for supporting people like myself who see no reason to be the blood on Microsoft's "cutting edge".

(puts-on flame retardant suit)

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Aw crap.... I just updated my Surface that I use for VCDS last night... [edit: after more careful reading of the linked article, I am not concerned]
I can almost 100% guarantee that Ross-Tech is not using fake chips though.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yes, we do use FTDI chips. In fact, we were one of the first to start using FTDI for automotive diagnostics roughly 12 years ago. However, none of our interfaces use the standard PIDs and thus the Windows driver won't touch 'em. Moreover, our interfaces use real FTDI chips, not cloned ones, so they'd be fine even if they didn't have their own PIDs. :D

-Uwe-

Last edited:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I saw that come up on Slashdot yesterday, was thinking of posting about it.

My understanding is that Ross-Tech hardware uses legitimate FTDI chips and will be fine, but the fake clones miiight just run into a spot of trouble.

Jason

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Tom,

from my personal point of view. It is certainly not Microsoft's fault what FTDI does with their drivers and I strongly believe that MS wasn't informed by FTDI about these steps. Either way, I would assume FTDI has all rights to reset those PID's considering they licensed them and violators are infringing that license. In terms of how well that plays with customers? I doubt many will understand, those who do however should instead of blaming FTDI or MS start thinking about where they purchase their stuff from. Reality is, piracy like that is all over the place yet as long as people always insist on purchasing products based on price even if the price is ridiculously low they don't deserve any better than this.

Tom

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227548
Thank you sir!
I admit I expected your reply as it is. Ross-Tech has an awesome reputation and behaves in an up-front and open way. Top-notch people you guys :)
I'm glad this thread turned out like this. It completely removes the topic from further discussion.

Yes, we do use FTDI chips. In fact, we were one of the first to start using FTDI for automotive diagnostics roughly 12 years ago. However, none of our interfaces use the standard PIDs and thus the Windows driver won't touch 'em. Moreover, our interfaces use real FTDI chips, not cloned ones, so they'd be fine even if they didn't have their own PIDs. :D

-Uwe-

Back