RVC camera issues with Discover Media retrofit

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
Hi All,
Just thought I'd post this in case it helps anyone else....apologies if this is already general knowledge.

I installed a PQ MIB2 Discover Media into my wife's Mk2 2011 Skoda Octavia.
The car had an RNS510 factory fitted, and an aftermarket RVC with with RGBS converter.
The RVC was triggered from the reverse light signal via a traditional relay. Worked well for 5 years.

I removed the converter and plugged the composite camera straight into the new Discover Media Amundsen system.
The RVC screen would only show a black screen.

After much pulling of hair and swapping of parts, changing of coding and adaptations I found that the relay was actually too slow to get a video signal to the head unit and it would just blank the display.

I swapped the relay for a digital delay relay like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gre...uan-Golf-Touran-Jetta-PQ-MIB/32836178180.html

and the camera came to life!

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
<LearningMode>
Does this mean there is only a little time slot where the MIB unit "searches" for a video signal when putting in reverse gear?
</LearningMode>

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
Yes it seems that way. And it seems much shorter than was allowed with the previous generation ie RNS510.

I have no idea what that timeframe is but it certainly seems very short, in the order of a few hundred milliseconds or so.

It won't even display an image at all, just goes straight to black on the display.
It's great when it's working it means that the RVC image is displayed the instant you select reverse, but it caused me about 8 hours of work swapping cameras, cables, PDC modules, pestering other people for assistance etc before I finally decided to bypass the old relay....

I believe that similar sorts of issues plague the RCD330 when used with OEM cameras and converters....though I have never used an RCD330 myself.

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Back