Q7 4M Ambient Lighting PR-QQ2 Retrofit - almost there

spyderboyant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=65474
Hi all,

Just wondering whether anyone has undertaken this retrofit? It's quite the beast of an install as the wiring diagrams and factory manual isn't 100% correct re light numbers etc... anyway, all ambient lighting is driven off TWO LIN buses (single wires) off J519. They are LIN 5 and LIN 6. J519 also has a power wire that is needed to run to ALL RGB LEDs (so think about it, front AC vents, centre console and all doors). The lighting is broken up into CONTOUR lighting (ext strips in door, AC vents and top of centre console) and AMBIENT lighting, which is the rear top of doors, side of the console, and the bottom/back of top of console. The colours can be tweaked individually for the contour LEDs and ambient LEDs. From an equipment point of view, you need new passenger and drivers side vents (unfortunately PR-QQ1's aren't any good to you as Audi doesn't provide as spare parts the RGB LED modules that you need - having said that, I have a RHD car and the new passenger vent was so expensive I bought a second hand UK PR-QQ1 vent and a second hand German LHD PR-QQ2 vent and swapped the RGB LED drivers and it works fine and they fitted fine - bit of work mind you!). You also need new top centre console, light for bottom rear of centre console (separate part), and two LED strips for side of console (fits into existing non PR-QQ2 side console trim). You need either new door cards with part PR-QQ2 or if you have exit warning then an RGB LED module per door (they are all unique part numbers) to connect to the plastic trim or a new door trim that has the plastic light strip. For the rear of the door, I bought some 50cm 3mm round perspex tubing which works OK. You need to heat it up and bend it and then I used some double-sided 3m tape to hold it in place. A hell of a lot cheaper than new door cards! You then need the door ambient RGB LED modules to connect to this tubing...

The importance of using the correct RGB LED drivers is that they are "slave" LIN devices off the master J519 LIN bus. The J519 communicates individually with each device it has been coded to control. Hence, if an RGB LED fails, J519 throws an error. I was able to play around with the two buses by putting a single RGB LED off them and seeing what errors they throw - ie which RGB LEDs are missing off the BUS. If you don't have any RGB LED modules connected to the buses you get single "open circuit" errors on the bus! The other thing as well is that the wiring diagrams show 3 pins being used off J519. What I found was that one LIN BUS was internally wired between two PINs (the SSP for convenience system does mention that some LIN buses are presented on more than one pin and wired together internally).

I've also wired up the door pocket motion lighting which is working and will install the door sills and the door handle apron lights over the next week. There is quite a bit of cabling involved and the pins required for the door harness are MCON and not the standard MQS....

This now brings me to the one issue I am having, I have coded up the J519 and 5F as per a mates car that has ambient lighting. We are also running the same firmware on 5F. What I am seeing is:

Working correctly:
1. The individual lighting for ambient and contour lighting works via individual settings and the 30 colour jog dial.
2. When I open the car at night, all the lighting goes to a soft white - which appears correct
3. when I park the car and open the door, all the lights turn to the same white for when I exit and when I lock the car they all fade together at the same rate to off.

What isn't working:
1. The preset colours such as maritime blue, works for ambient lights BUT for contour lights (a) I LOSE all lighting on AC vents (b) door contour and top centre console have totally the wrong colour - remaining contour lights.
2. The colour jog dials for individual colour settings don't have the same range as my mates.. I don't have purple and the ranges are different.

What is strange is that with the colours I have, when I individually select them under "individual" settings, they change correctly to the 30 colours that are presented. I also note that the US version and EU version have different colour scales and the menu system is different in that in the EU version of 5F firmware, the "Background lighting colour" individual option is called in the US version "Interior Lighting color"

As I have no errors on the two LIN buses for the ambient and contour lighting, I am wondering whether its because I don't have the correct colour scales in the jog dials. As such, the maritime blue isn't correctly getting sent to J519 and then sent on to the RGB LED modules? It is really strange. I wonder if REGION in 5F has anything to do with providing a different colour palette between the US, EU and mine in Oz? Here are links to the three jog dials. I tried to insert the IMG links but they don't seem to be appearing in the post:

https://ibb.co/dcghDJ
https://ibb.co/nhjPSd
https://ibb.co/hdoJnd

Even if no one can help, I hope this information is helpful for someone thinking of doing this retrofit..

o33err

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=317589

spyderboyant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=65474
I'm wondering now whether it might be a Dataset thing on 5F? I thought it might have been "Country of Sale" in 5F adaption channels as mine was set to AU and the ones I knew from the UK that are working are obviously set to GB. Setting to GB and resetting 5F made no difference.... This is so strange.

a4ss4abt

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=22288
I'm involved on the same retrofit in my A4B9 MY 2017 of QQ2 multicolour lights with identical problems.
I was thinking to make only the footlight, rear top of the doors and the center console but i have the fault B132501 an all the four doors because the system doesn't see the missing lights so I'm deciding to order them.
At this moment I can use only the individual option of "Interior Lighting Color" and I can change the 30 colours by the jog dial exactly like you but if I try to use the single colour I have a lot of problems and when I close the car the colour is red and not white. Anyway my colour palette is the same of yours and not like the UK one also if I'm in Italy/EU so maybe we are missing something on the adaptation/coding?

spyderboyant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=65474
I'm involved on the same retrofit in my A4B9 MY 2017 of QQ2 multicolour lights with identical problems.
I was thinking to make only the footlight, rear top of the doors and the center console but i have the fault B132501 an all the four doors because the system doesn't see the missing lights so I'm deciding to order them.
At this moment I can use only the individual option of "Interior Lighting Color" and I can change the 30 colours by the jog dial exactly like you but if I try to use the single colour I have a lot of problems and when I close the car the colour is red and not white. Anyway my colour palette is the same of yours and not like the UK one also if I'm in Italy/EU so maybe we are missing something on the adaptation/coding?
Hi,

It's not the simple. You need to install all the correct LED modules on the LIN bus from J519 or you will get errors as the J519, with ambient lighting enabled, expects to see all those modules. You will note each of the LED modules has a different part number as it has a unique LIN bus address that J519 interrogates...Even if you don't install the lights, you could get those LED modules and hide them away but make sure they are connected to the LIN bus and then the errors will disappear.

Getting the controls to work correctly in the MIB2 you need to "update" the "dataset"(s) for ambient lighting on J519... You need VCP to do this and they need to have the correct dataset for the software version on your J519 controller. Note, the J519 controller in your car is the same as the one in the Q7 4M and I think Q5 facelift. The way they can make these controllers work between the different car models is to use datasets that are specific for each of these different models. Long coding and adaption channels don't help and are shared between all the cars to enable different features. The "characteristics" of these features however are delivered via the datasets... This is why these retrofits are getting hard to do...

FYI, there is a dataset change that is required on J519 with a Q7 4M if you want to install LED/Matrix but you have Bi-xenon to allow the J519 to communicate with the light control modules...

cheers
A

Reactions: Uwe

a4ss4abt

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=22288
Thanks for your reply. I’m waiting for the led modules ordered to my AUDI dealer and I have also VCP just to make the change of dataset if I’ll be able to find something for my J519
I will report soon
Cheers
Seve

spyderboyant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=65474
Thanks for your reply. I’m waiting for the led modules ordered to my AUDI dealer and I have also VCP just to make the change of dataset if I’ll be able to find something for my J519
I will report soon
Cheers
Seve
Good luck. With the Q7 there are two LIN buses from J519 to connect all the lights up. Looking at SSP 646 for the A4 it has a great diagram of the LIN BUSes... This will help if you haven't seen this already, and shows two LIN buses, 5 and 6 (like Q7) which makes sense as they share the same J519, the A4 and Q7! It shows what lights are connected to which LIN bus which is very helpful.

a4ss4abt

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=22288
BINGO!! Your informations was right and with some errors too (cause I have to install the missing Led modules on the doors) finally found the solution.
I loaded with VCP on my J519 BCM1 MLBevo Sn.8W0907063XX the dataset for QQ2 various parameters and now every function on my Ambient Lights is working correctly and also my palette range has changed exactly like your UK mates.
My J519 now tells me exactly what lights are not connected on the doors and on my first attempt to load the Q7 J519 dataset was asking me also some light that are not present in the A4.(maybe you have to try loading again the QQ2 Q7 datasets?)
ln fact, on the second attempt, I loaded the A4 J519 QQ2 datasets (you can load with or w/o driver setting or RS 4 profile) and everything went normallly drived by the MIB2 5F. I can correctly set the single colours like the maritime bleu or Impulse Red and also the Individual palette with the variations for the ambient and the contour Led. When I close or open the car the lights go to a soft white. For me it wasn't a 5F related problem.
I have to thank you a lot.
Cheers
Seve

[/url][/IMG]

Bogdan.audi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90275
Hello.
I installed this option. In addition to the encodings, parameter block 09 is required (VCP-QQ2)

a4ss4abt

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=22288
I come back on this argument just to ask help to complete this retrofit on my B9 A4.
I can Select with success all the profiles on the Ambient Lights menu on the MMI except for the option DRIVE SELECT wich give a white colour for the profiles Efficiency/Comfort/Auto/Dynamic/Individual on the ambient or contour lights.
There should be something to parametrize on the 09 or 5F just to tell to the DRIVE SELECT that now there is the QQ2 option but I didn’t find the solution.
Any help will be appreciated.

rs5iswicked

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=116247
Folks - I have a B9 RS5.
Would anyone have any idea how to enable the already existing multicolor ambient lights to work as coming home/leaving home/welcome lights - in sync with the headlights and other interior lights????

kdagher

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=394978
for anyone who retrofitted the Ambient lights on their A4 or Q7:

Did you install different part numbers for the footwell ?
8W0 947 415 A (Front left)
8W0 947 415 B (Front Right)
8W0 947 415 C (Rear Left)
8W0 947 415 D (Rear Right)

what about the Storage compartment lights ?

8W0 919 390 A (Front Right)
8W0 919 390 B (Front Left)
8W0 919 390 E (Rear Right)
8W0 919 390 F (Rear Left)

the reason i am asking is because the seller supplied 4 x 8W0 947 415 B Footwell & 4 x 8W0 919 390 E Door Storage, wanted to know if they are all working as they should without any errors..