Fuel level sender/sensor 1 and 2 ID

shurur9

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=320200
So...does anyone know what fuel senders correspond to left/right, low/high, empty/full and sender1/sender2.?????

I can't seem to read sender 2 (ch 29) in VCDS
AND
There doesn't seem to be any place anywhere that spells it out.

Please NO requests for files!!!
This is a basic question that should not require a log file.
AND should be answered in this forum above all other forums.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Really? We're supposed to know what kind of car you're talking about, and exactly what cluster it has?

-Uwe-

shurur9

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=320200
2002 audi a4 B6 3.0 quattro MT6

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Auto-Scan would be helpful so we know which, if any, faults are stored in addition to the exact 17-Instrument cluster that's installed with the current coding shown. If you want assistance in our forum I would highly recommend posting the VCDS scan.

The repair manual has an entire section dedicated to fuel level sender checking. There are 4 splits based on production dates for AWD alone but yours should be "AWD through 06.03". I also stumbled across a TSB related to faulty G169 level senders specific to a VIN split that might apply.

• Fuel Level Sensor 1 should be G in your wiring diagram, located on the Passenger side of the vehicle. (295 to 305 Ohms empty and 56 to 68 full)
  • Fuel Level Sensor 2 should be G169, located on the Driver's side of the vehicle. (275 to 296 Ohms empty and 47 - 65 full)

That's pretty close to the general 280 to 80 ohm scale most VW/Audi models form this era used.

We don't know if faults are currently stored but you may want to unplug one of them to see which (new) faults are stored while confirming locations.

Next, as far as VCDS goes, MVB 004 should be helpful if each sender is sending a signal to 17:

004,0,Fuel Level Sensor
004,1,Fuel Display,(1st Sensor)
004,2,Fuel Sensor,(1st Sensor)
004,3,Fuel Display,(2nd sensor),All-Wheel-Drive only
004,4,Fuel Sensor,(2nd sensor),All-Wheel-Drive only

I believe one shows Ohms and the other in Liters per fuel sender. You can use the [Add to Log] button to capture the text if you need assistance evaluating it.

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
The fuel level sensors are in the fuel tank & sensor 1 is on one side and sensor 2 is on the other. :rolleyes:

Removing an electrical connector at either sensor would create an open DTC & a value to be observed in blocks as Dana has specified so kindly & being too nice to you to identity the sensors.
2002 audi a4 B6 3.0 quattro MT6
I believe this a question more being your responsibility to back trace and determine by using the RTFB and WD if not wanting to post a scan to let others determine a configuration.

Maybe when requesting expectations as you have specified, you might consider a paid for consult with RT Tech support inquiry.

Last edited:

shurur9

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=320200
The Auto-Scan would be helpful so we know which, if any, faults are stored in addition to the exact 17-Instrument cluster that's installed with the current coding shown. If you want assistance in our forum I would highly recommend posting the VCDS scan.

The repair manual has an entire section dedicated to fuel level sender checking. There are 4 splits based on production dates for AWD alone but yours should be "AWD through 06.03". I also stumbled across a TSB related to faulty G169 level senders specific to a VIN split that might apply.

• Fuel Level Sensor 1 should be G in your wiring diagram, located on the Passenger side of the vehicle. (295 to 305 Ohms empty and 56 to 68 full)
  • Fuel Level Sensor 2 should be G169, located on the Driver's side of the vehicle. (275 to 296 Ohms empty and 47 - 65 full)

That's pretty close to the general 280 to 80 ohm scale most VW/Audi models form this era used.

We don't know if faults are currently stored but you may want to unplug one of them to see which (new) faults are stored while confirming locations.

Next, as far as VCDS goes, MVB 004 should be helpful if each sender is sending a signal to 17:

004,0,Fuel Level Sensor
004,1,Fuel Display,(1st Sensor)
004,2,Fuel Sensor,(1st Sensor)
004,3,Fuel Display,(2nd sensor),All-Wheel-Drive only
004,4,Fuel Sensor,(2nd sensor),All-Wheel-Drive only

I believe one shows Ohms and the other in Liters per fuel sender. You can use the [Add to Log] button to capture the text if you need assistance evaluating it.

Thank you for your thoughtful and useful post.

All I wanted from this forum was what the senders were numbered and their function.
I posted in the general forum for that reason and got the expected demands anyway.

It turned out to be my tank got configured for FWD and ch 29 (full tank adjust) was reading nothing.
I must have changed it when I was silencing my seat belt warning.

Sender2 was broken somehow after tank got filled to the neck and gauge was pegged full for several fill ups
The thing broke much like one shown in an audizine post for the same problem.

I measured and replaced the right sender2 and checked the left sender 1 as well....along with hoses..etc.

My audi mechanic used to call them "high and low senders"..and my problem was the first half of the gauge floating around until the half tank was reached.

shurur9

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=320200
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/806120-fuel-level-sender-1-and-2-ID

Audi a4 B6 3.0 Q
code for proper quattro tank size/type
instruments 17 → code 07 → 01 <tank size/type quattro> 20 <usa>

Connects to Cluster
LEFT/high level/Sender2: 8E0919673AG/3B0919673S
instruments 17 → adaptation 10 → Ch 29 (adjust full gauge needle)

Connects to Cluster
RIGHT/low level/Sender1: 8E0919673AQ
instruments 17 → adaptation 10 → Ch 30 (Adjust empty gauge needle)

Tank characteristic (volume)
instruments 17 → adaptation 10 → Ch 32 (set to 1 for quattro?)
code for proper quattro tank size

Just coded cluster to proper 0120 for Quattro 3.0 and Ch 29 came to life!!!
Adjusted full gauge needle on ch 29 from default 128 to 116.

will see how it goes.

THANKS EuroxS4 for the clues!!
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...evel-Sender(s)

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I posted in the general forum for that reason and got the expected demands anyway.
Since this forum exists to help with the use of VCDS, posting a VCDS full scan is a pre-requisite - not only to tell how your car is configured but also so we can see if you have a genuine VCDS and not a rip-off copy.

Glad you've got it sorted.

shurur9

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=320200
Since this forum exists to help with the use of VCDS, posting a VCDS full scan is a pre-requisite - not only to tell how your car is configured but also so we can see if you have a genuine VCDS and not a rip-off copy.

Glad you've got it sorted.
Problem solved in audizine.
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/806120-fuel-level-sender-1-and-2-ID
And with no dumping...I think that says a lot about each of the forums..

AND with user(s) (Me) getting to understand the problem without submitting to VCDS forum authorities/sponsors...
If dumps are needed just to see whether users have an authorized copy of VCDS..well that gets verified initially now..and this is a forum is for verified members.

Thank you for your thoughtful response..as opposed to heavy handed responses with self promotional aggrandizements and upsells....

I initially got immediate likes from VCDS admin/sponsors when I first posted.....let's see how it goes for me proceeding forward, I.E. after this post.
Don't limit yourself to ross-tech forums for your VCDS readouts.
There are folk outside this forum who know the product better than the ross-tech jealous geniuses."
'
No gods..no kings..

Last edited:

shurur9

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=320200
FYI an auto-scan would of shown such a discrepancy in coding, but no,........ you still carry on about it to dismiss the request & further make " genius " statements.
yawn...yawn..
Someone else in audizine had it figured it out and actually taught me something through two related threads...as opposed to you..who did nothing but strut and squawk.
You are not helping this forum or the VCDS product support...

newsflash; It is all about users learning and not your glorification.

no gods ..no kings

Last edited: