EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT GENERAL NEWS THREAD ANYTHING GOES!

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Off to vacation it's cold in Texas!

Okay kids knock down the sand castles.......

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Risk of amputation.
Pfffft. How dumb does someone have to be to insert a limb into an augur mechanism if it's still spinning? It's not like you can't SEE that it's still spinning.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
People are indeed really that fucking stupid Uwe, that simple!

They release the mechanical lever and figure they will clean out second stage & thinking oh I have a winter glove on to protect and chop like a Tom & Jerry cartoon!

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Pfffft. How dumb does someone have to be to insert a limb into an augur mechanism if it's still spinning? It's not like you can't SEE that it's still spinning.
Just as dumb as the guys who brought us the lawn mower blade clutch when they picked up the lawn mower and used it as a hedge trimmer! Nothing could go wrong with that idea!

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
That's a true story. The reason the clutch was forced onto small lawn mowers was a result of idiots who ignored the warning labels and it was deemed an anticipatable misuse of the product. The lawn mower manufacturer lost the case, had to pay a huge payout.. and so on. Hard to believe this could be real! Study that case in my products liability course back in the mid 80's.. most people forgot about it. I have never forgotten how stupid people can be and then have the cahoonies to sue the product manufacturer to assuage their guilt at their own stupidity. Made me think twice about designing products.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@Bruce: your case-study probably says more about America's litigation laws than it being a question of the size of anyone's testicles (cajones?) - though I suspect that similar verdicts happen in other countries!

But I hope that you will agree that the survival of the species is better served if these individuals are removed from the gene pool. Which is kind-of what happens if the stupidity is sufficiently severe - perhaps nature itself has found a solution to the problem? :facepalm:

Don

• Agree
Reactions: Uwe

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
@Bruce: your case-study probably says more about America's litigation laws than it being a question of the size of anyone's testicles (cajones?) - though I suspect that similar verdicts happen in other countries!

But I hope that you will agree that the survival of the species is better served if these individuals are removed from the gene pool. Which is kind-of what happens if the stupidity is sufficiently severe - perhaps nature itself has found a solution to the problem? :facepalm:

Don
The case-study was an attempt to show young engineers how labeling is not adequate as a defense against the incredible "inventiveness" of people. That is, our purpose in studying the case was that we were to identify how a case could be made even though the manufacturer labeled the product saying "No hands. No Feet." The manufacturer labeled all surfaces in a prominent way to tell people to keep hands and feet away while the machine was operating.

In the end the case was built on the concept that the manufacturer anticipated misuse by people demonstrated by their labeling and warnings yet provided no means to prevent such misuse. It was for this reason they lost the liability case and paid dearly. A few dollars of materials can prevent a person from putting their hands under the machine while it is running. If the person defeats those preventative measures, then there is no liability. They willfully defeated the safety stuff.

The gene pool improved? I don't know... I mean if these fools had not ignored the warnings, would there be safety systems on mowers today? How many kids might be hurt by a machine left unattended by their parent? How many people running Ag equipment might be killed if the seat safety switch is not present? How many times have we ourselves not thought something through, not followed the suggested safety protocols, and out of sheer luck survived? When we have done stupid things, would it have been better if we had been killed or maimed?

Perhaps we need all kinds to increase the better good of all.

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Your aforementioned hits home recently Bruce,

Recent reading of PII data for VIN numbers & the vicarious parts to a puzzle in virtual damages ....... :rolleyes:

See JPPSG....

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
The gene pool improved? I don't know... I mean if these fools had not ignored the warnings, would there be safety systems on mowers today? How many kids might be hurt by a machine left unattended by their parent? How many people running Ag equipment might be killed if the seat safety switch is not present? How many times have we ourselves not thought something through, not followed the suggested safety protocols, and out of sheer luck survived? When we have done stupid things, would it have been better if we had been killed or maimed?

Perhaps we need all kinds to increase the better good of all.
@Bruce: hmm........ I believe that this is one of those rare cases where we are actually in heated agreement (hopefully, there will be many more). I suspect that the differences in our positions is simply one of degree.

Your post seems to relate to the boundary issues regarding the safety standards of what-should-be-reasonably-expected of devices that have spinning blades. My point is about extremes on this continuum - the stuff of the Darwin awards (which recognize individuals who have supposedly contributed to human evolution by selecting themselves out of the gene pool from dying or becoming sterilized via their own actions!)

Don
PS: to your question about "kids.... hurt by a machine left unattended by their parent", tragic as these events are - responsiblilty (and accountability) should fall where it is due!! I'm not sure if your case study contained this element, but the manufacturer's role ain't to step-into the situation and ensure that kids are safely separated from equipment that is ostensibly safe for adults - IMO, of course!