EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT GENERAL NEWS THREAD ANYTHING GOES!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Not endorsed but thought was neat & I might pickup myself...

ezgif.com-gif-maker-_1_480x480.gif

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Not endorsed but thought was neat & I might pickup myself...
About 10 years ago, I had TruFocal/Superfocus glasses that did that. You probably remember seeing me in them. They were far from cheap, and not problem free either. The company that made 'em ended up closing, I think in part due to too many warranty claims, but I really did like 'em while the lasted. When my last decent pair of them failed, I went back to using three different sets of glasses; one for outdoors and driving, one for computer and general indoor use, and one for reading.

A major turn-off with these is that they adjust separately and the manufacturer recommends adjusting one side at a time while covering the other eye? Uhm...

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I may have to look at something like that soon. I'm also starting to have problems to the point I need to switch prescriptions around depending on what I'm doing. I thought about doing LASIK, my wife had it done a few years ago, but making permanent changes scares me when my prescription isn't stable. I'm even losing some distance vision at night, eye muscle fatigue or however that works.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I may have to look at something like that soon. I'm also starting to have problems to the point I need to switch prescriptions around depending on what I'm doing. I thought about doing LASIK, my wife had it done a few years ago, but making permanent changes scares me when my prescription isn't stable. I'm even losing some distance vision at night, eye muscle fatigue or however that works.
How old are you, Jason?

I'll be 62 this year. I never needed glasses at all until I hit my early 40s, when I noticed I was no longer able to focus close up, like when soldering stuff. So I went to an optometrist and got some glasses for that. For the next 5-7 (roughly) years, my vision went downhill a good bit (totally normal presbyopia that affects just about everyone as they age), and I kept needing stronger glasses for the same task. But since then, things have been quite stable. I think the glasses I'm wearing right now are a good 7-8 years old and I actually like them better than a newer prescription that I got.

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I'm 43. For the longest time, my RX was very stable, nearsighted about -3.5 in both eyes, from the end of puberty to about 2-3 years ago. Until recently, I'd toss in a set of contacts and I was all set for the day. Now, I just don't seem to have the ocular focus-range for one RX to do it anymore. Depending on the time of day, and what I've been up to, I have trouble with both reading text on my phone up-close, or having good sharp distance focus for night driving. It's intermittent and I have to blink a bunch of times to refocus on what I'm doing and it's getting annoying.

Some of it I'm sure is normal aging. Some of it may be not leaving the house very much, too much screen-time, not getting a wide range of focus exercise. I absolutely do have to use some reading "cheater" glasses for stuff like soldering, and that's acceptable. But when I can't find a set of contacts that let me drive AND use my phone (not at the same moment, of course) that's a major problem. I actually have an appointment with my eye doc this week. I guess it may be time to talk bifocals or something.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have progressive lenses they take the place of carrying multiple sets of glasses.
I use progressives outdoors and for driving. They have a bit of distance correction (but it's really not much, I'm sure I could still pass a driving vision test without any glasses at all), and more (roughly +2) in at the bottom to get the dashboard (or a menu or whatever) in focus when I look through that section of them.

However, I can't use them at my computer. The field of view is just too small and I'd wear out my neck. So for computer and general indoor use, I have single-vision glasses with the same prescription as the lower part of my progressives. These make me mildly near-sighted indoors, but for some reason, that doesn't bother me inside. The moment I walk out the door with them on though, it does, and it happens relatively often. "Oops, hang on, I need to get my other glasses."

For reading in bed, I have another dedicated set of reading glasses, roughly +3.5. They're also good for any close-up work I need to do.

In addition to the wider field of view, single-vision glasses have the distinct advantage of being much less expensive than progressives.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

NostraJackAss
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I been doing the same using separate glasses I dont like the progressives.
Those glasses seem neat for me since my script is so different from one eye to other, so the individual focus I thought was neat and made me think of your old glasses.

Reactions: Uwe