2018 Audi S6- Cannot access AudiConnect menu anymore

elp_jc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=323850
Hey gang. My new car acted up when my wife connected to WiFi the first day I got the AT&T SIM card, by disconnecting my BlueTooth, then not having sound on any MEDIA source, but all others were fine. So tried to correct the issue by switching WiFi to 'never' on the menu, and also by switching the 'data module' OFF on that same menu, then resetting the MMI. All the audio issues corrected themselves, but when I went to the AudiConnect menu, couldn't even get in, and the following warning came up: 'No data function available. Please insert SIM card'. So couldn't turn the data module back on. And no, didn't want to take my car to dealer just for that, since I won't renew AudiConnect anyway, but I kind of took it as a challenge to fix it with VCDS... so bought a cable partially for that reason:D. And before continuing, it's not the SIM card, since it was working right before. And I even got a new one and activated it myself thru Audi for 6 months, so I know it's active.

Anyway, nobody seems to know anything about this complicated new 5F module, so I started messing with it to see if I can hit the culprit. First, I found this channel on adaptation: 'IDE 10668- Internal SIM card: use', and switched it from 'never' to 'auto' (3rd option was 'always'), and even though MMI cycled thru some warnings after a reboot, the same 'no data function available. Please insert SIM card' blue warning popped up again. So today I went in again, and found another SIM channel: 'IDE 03471- ENG 125045- Vehicle Configuration SIM card mode switch', so changed it from 'not present' to 'present', while changing back to factory setting the other one from 'auto' to 'never'. After resetting the MMI again, same cycle of MMI general warnings as before (use at your own risk, do not get distracted, etc), along with the same blue warning at the end. Okay, so didn't work either, so went back to change that second channel to factory setting too, and got a freaking error, after clicking 'yes' if I was sure to change it. The error said 'out of range'. WTF? Tried it again and same error. Okay, so thought maybe I needed to change the first channel to 'auto' again, and tried to change it, and exact same error: 'out of range'. What the hell happened? Hope somebody has an answer how to correct that? I want to change that second channel back to factory, and keep trying other changes. Assuming that's the case, I'm thinking maybe looking for the 'data module', rather than SIM, as I don't remember seeing any other SIM channel, but would have to go thru them again.

In summary, why did I get an 'out of range' error? And how to correct it?
And most importantly, I'd love input on which channel or channels might fix my issue. I'd obviously do it at my own risk, but need help with possible channels. I figure if something critical is going to be changed, VCDS would ask for the security code (which I don't have), so I shouldn't really hurt anything by trying, especially with that, right? There's no 'data module' on VCDS, correct? Didn't see one, but wanted to ask just in case it's unnamed or something. Thank you, and let me know if you have any questions.

EDIT: I posted a full scan of my car before clearing the ton of faults it had over the 'presale forum'. Car was in showroom for months, and with the key inside. I only started one thread there, by the way.

Last edited:

elp_jc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=323850
Quick update. Was able to change it back to factory settings. Don't understand why it threw an 'out of range' error, but VCDS allowed me to change it back this second time. Weird... but nice:D. Haven't found any other channel that might solve my issue, but haven't looked in deep detail yet. But found one thing I wanted to change that nobody had found for newer cars: eliminate the warnings at speed of using nav and the phone. No 'liability' involved, since after the warnings go away by themselves in a second or so, you can do whatever you want. This just eliminates that annoyance every time you or your wife wants to use something. Anyway, it's on module 5F, channel (from the drop down menu) 'IDE 03471- ENG 152571- Vehicle configuration- unblock functions while piloted driving', and change from 'blocked' to 'enabled'. Can confirm it worked. Hope this helps. Guess nobody here has any interest on learning about newer cars. Oh well. I'll keep digging. Also found how to deactivate the rear reflectors on US cars (useless). As usual, they take years to remove useless features now incorporated on the design of the headlights (perfectly visible from the sides... but the US requires separate bulbs. Geez).

Would love to hear ideas to change the other things I want: deactivate MMI screen auto-retract, security code for module 5F, High-Beam assist speed threshold (set it to 0 mph), drop the stupid reverse camera after shifting out of R (rather than at 10 mph in D), etc. Thanks.

Last edited:

elp_jc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=323850
Hey gang, mentioned my issue to a forum friend, obviously with better internet searching skills than me, and an hour later sent me exactly my issue from a foreign site. The solution? Turn the f***ing data module on from the phone menu. Thought to myself: 'it can't be that freaking easy', but let's find out. It freaking worked. Many cars in the US spent days at the dealer trying to fix the issue, and on at least one, they changed the 5F module to fix it. Turns out the issue is way simpler than it seemed. Guess when auto manufacturers tack on features on outdated tech, they have to do it half-a$$, I guess. But if anybody ever have that issue, you know the fix. Hope this helps. And no more messing with the module 5F for that. Cool.

vwjunky18t

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=242593
Anyway, it's on module 5F, channel (from the drop down menu) 'IDE 03471- ENG 152571- Vehicle configuration- unblock functions while piloted driving', and change from 'blocked' to 'enabled'. Can confirm it worked. Hope this helps. Guess nobody here has any interest on learning about newer cars. Oh well. I'll keep digging. Also found how to deactivate the rear reflectors on US cars (useless). As usual, they take years to remove useless features now incorporated on the design of the headlights (perfectly visible from the sides... but the US requires separate bulbs. Geez).

Does this allow you to navigate the car menu settings while moving as well? Doing some research on a 2019 Tiguan