hi from sunny Yorkshire Uk

jimmyq

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=139879
Hi guys glad to be here hope to help and be helped but most of all make friends see you in the forums >:)

gupsterg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=146338
Hi,

I am also new to this forum :) and hope to help & be helped! if you asked my wife she'd say I'm beyond help! :p

All the best
Gup

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Welcome to the forum guys.

gupsterg I see you've finally joined us, a little tip please say how my EOBD II Fault Codes software is useful as users on here doesn't believe me and I can't post a download link on this forum. Read New user Keith in my signature.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello jimmyq,

I realize you you purchased VCDS from one of our Authorized Distributors but you aren't registered with us for technical support. Please fill this form out at some point:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vca/hex-com-reg.php

.. and one of the guys can change your forum status to Verified VCDS user.

gupsterg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=146338
Welcome to the forum guys.

Hi Keith :)

gupsterg I see you've finally joined us,

Indeed my online buddy :D , one day whilst wearing my google goggles I came across a thread which interested me! ;) , it's always google's fault in my case! :p .

I virtually rolled over and laughed my head off to see you here when I was reading a thread! :D .

a little tip please say how my EOBD II Fault Codes software is useful as users on here doesn't believe me and I can't post a download link on this forum. Read New user Keith in my signature.

It is a great piece of software, I virtually consult it everyday and each time I think I owe that guy a lotta beers! ;) .

Perhaps you need to start a thread to discuss it? I even think it should be bundled with VCDS as a download as it really goes hand in hand with it.

Nice to bump into you :) and all the best ;) .

Gup

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
offtopic.gif

I've sent a PM to all Ross-Tech staff on here but only Dana has replied, so they aren't really interested, so that's a great loss to all users.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
please say how my EOBD II Fault Codes software is useful as users on here doesn't believe me ...
What exactly does your software do? From the title, it sounds like an OBD fault code definition database. I confess to curiosity what someone would use that for if they are a registered VCDS user, as they already have that information, particularly when you add Ross-Tech's Wiki.

... and I can't post a download link on this forum.
If I understand correctly, the concern Uwe had was about requiring people to register at another forum.

Jason

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Keithuk program has more definitions for faults, than current RT Wiki has.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Keithuk program has more definitions for faults, than current RT Wiki has.
I think the Wiki only has faults they have meaningful repair advice for. VCDS itself knows about all fault codes in existence, as far as I know.

Jason

gupsterg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=146338
I think the Wiki only has faults they have meaningful repair advice for.

So do you think that a DTC which not appear in wiki but has effect on vehicle is not meaningful?

VCDS itself knows about all fault codes in existence, as far as I know.

But when you see that DTC in VCDS it does not give you pointers as what to check for creation of that DTC, if you then consult wiki and not get the information do you decide not to repair/investigate?

I have never met Kiethuk or even had a telephone conversation, we just happen to bump into each other on forums/private message topics but his program IMO is great and I value it as much as VCDS itself.

Too me very quick and handy and the updates keep it fresh.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
So do you think that a DTC which not appear in wiki but has effect on vehicle is not meaningful?
Not at all. I'm not saying DTCs that aren't in Ross-Tech's Wiki aren't meaningful, I was saying those are the ones for which Ross-Tech has meaningful advice to share. They don't have advice on everything.

But when you see that DTC in VCDS it does not give you pointers as what to check for creation of that DTC, if you then consult wiki and not get the information do you decide not to repair/investigate?
I use repair manual data, available from Bentley or Erwin or Alldata or other sources. VCDS is a tool to be used along with a repair manual.

I've since looked it up myself and I think I understand what's going on a little better. If Keith's application is redistributing Alldata's copyrighted repair information, well, I don't doubt his sincere intent to help but Alldata's lawyers certainly would. Keith probably isn't a commercial operation worth their time. However, Ross-Tech would be a smoking hole in the ground (legally speaking) if they endorsed it or integrated it into their product.

Jason

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
I use repair manual data, available from Bentley or Erwin or Alldata or other sources. VCDS is a tool to be used along with a repair manual.

I've since looked it up myself and I think I understand what's going on a little better. If Keith's application is redistributing Alldata's copyrighted repair information, well, I don't doubt his sincere intent to help but Alldata's lawyers certainly would. Keith probably isn't a commercial operation worth their time. However, Ross-Tech would be a smoking hole in the ground (legally speaking) if they endorsed it or integrated it into their product.

Jason

Agreed.

I went through the gyrations to download and install it on a test VM.
It's an interesting piece of software, but the VM has since been destroyed due to my own concerns over the legality.

I pay big bucks out of my own pocket for the services you describe so that I can assist others.
But when it comes down to brass tacks I always point them back to the same services to get their own information.

I believe in paying people who create things - same reason I have 3 genuine Ross-Tech interfaces instead of cracked ripoffs.

gupsterg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=146338
I have not seen or used Alldata, I thought the work was Keith's, only he can answer where or how he has data for his app.

I agree if he can not legitimise his app then it can not be part of or be endorsed by RT.

What I posted was my opinion with only what I knew :o.

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Gup.

Alldata is on our other forum if you do a search.

Last edited:
Back