Car cleaning - pedant, or not?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I've just been reading a thread on another forum about the hygiene practices of car owners where car cleaning is concerned.

At first thought, it seems like a fairly pedestrian activity, but the more that I read, the more fascinating the topic appears to be. I'm the sort of car owner that really doesn't care about the state of cleanliness of my car although I do consider myself to be a "clean " person (and I do consider myself to be a "details-person") .

I do occasionally clean the interior of my car when the level of accumulated junk gets too high to see the instrument display and I always make sure that the headlight lenses are clean. But it seems that there are some folk who are much more pedantic about the cleanliness of their vehicular investment. For example, I just read a thread where forum colleagues were discussing the type of leaf-blower that they used to dry their cars after washing. Yes, leaf blowers - how extraordinary!! Apparently, the advantage is that this method of drying obviates "micro-scratches" that occur with cloths. Yes - Micro-scratches!!

So - it seems that the world is divided into two sorts of folk: people like me who don't give a flying-f#ck about cleaning their cars and other folk who seem to take the practice seriously. Which are you?

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Which are you?
Somewhere in between. Not anal-retentive about cleanliness, but I need to be able to see out the windows (especially the windshield) and it makes me crazy to see a car interior strewn with stuff that obviously belongs in a trash can.

As for washing the car... Where's the nearest drive-through car-wash?

There's an old meme here that's somewhat topical:

girls-room-girls-car.jpg

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^hmm........your meme is very disturbing - if true!! The picture of the "Girls' car" looks like a very clean version of my mk7 Golf and I'm almost positive that the picture of the "Boys' room" was taken in my bedroom.

Guess I need to re-check my sexuality (again)!!:facepalm:

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
^^^hmm........your meme is very disturbing - if true!! The picture of the "Girls' car" looks like a very clean version of my mk7 Golf and I'm almost positive that the picture of the "Boys' room" was taken in my bedroom.

Guess I need to re-check my sexuality (again)!!:facepalm:

Don

NdMYg.gif

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
I'm pretty pedantic when it comes to this stuff.... I think I washed my Beetle twice this year, and the BMW possibly as many as 3 times :D

I also vacuumed the Beetle once. Practically obsessive ;)

Reactions: Uwe

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
As for washing the car... Where's the nearest drive-through car-wash?
That's my approach too - IMHO cars are for driving not for obsessing about.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Paging Jason. We need more pictures of your daughter's rolling rubbish bin.....
I saw it last weekend, and I'm both surprised and pleased to report her new ride "The Downgrayedd" was still in excellent condition after two weeks of ownership. I'm not sure if it's because she's the actual on-paper owner of this one, or the CTJ talk we had about things that invalidate the Dad Extended Warranty. Probably the first.

I guess I should mention there's been another operator-induced loss-of-vehicle event that led to this. ;)

Eventually I'll get around to yet another Bar thread: "She's Dead, Jim: Part IV: I'm Getting Too Old For This Shit"

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
IMO cars are an article of daily use, therefor some form of junk-collection and uncleanliness is to be expected. That said, it really doesn't take that long to make it clean again. Considering my T6 has a lot of surface/room to clean - investing an average of 5-10 minutes a week and it's clean enough to do customer visits as well as training classes with it. Fun fact, most of my GFs over the years would fit Uwe's meme perfectly - those with kids certainly do. ;)

Rembrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230053
I was keeping my car very clean in the spring and early summer when my new VW warranty paint was still shiny and clean looking.
In hindsight, I'm not sure that white is the best color for an old TDI, but that is what I wanted.
The rustproofing constantly weeps out of the seams everywhere, and it's most noticeable on the back of the car because the exhaust soot sticks to it.
The interior is clean, albeit a little dusty, but the exterior won't get washed until the spring of 2018.

Sander-Superb

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=323026
I'm always pleased when my car has been away for maintenance because they clean and vacuum the interior. My car isn't a garbagetruck, so thats probably why they do this...
Outside washing is a fun thing to do with the kids. I only wax my car because of the water reppelant function of the wax. Much rain here in Holland so the windscreenwipers don't have to work so hard.

Count me in with the guys who like there car clean... But you can leave you're shoes on when you ride with me.

Back