Defroster flap positioning motor (v107) (Mk.5)

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Hi,

I am almost sure that the defroster is located under the glovebox in Audi A4 B6/B7, Golf MK4 and similar age platforms which is easier to replace (from my point of view).

In MK5 (Golf / Jetta) it is located on the driver side... which is stuffed with stuff :D

If I have time this weekend I'll try to make some progress and I'll post results.

So which motor exactly are you changing? V107 still because the picture you've linked above is not that.

If V107 then that's on drivers side. According to Elsa you need to remove driver "kick" panel, can gateway holder and air duct. Then you should be able to detach the motor and change it.

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
Hey Vasco what kind of access does removing the cluster get you ?

I think it might help but I didn't remove the cluster yet.

I tried but I did not force it because I was afraid to break something.

The stepper is around the same height of the cluster so it might help removing it.

This weekend I will remove the bottom dash and the cluster.

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
So which motor exactly are you changing? V107 still because the picture you've linked above is not that.

If V107 then that's on drivers side. According to Elsa you need to remove driver "kick" panel, can gateway holder and air duct. Then you should be able to detach the motor and change it.

This thread is a mess :) You must read everything.

The images you're talking about are because I didn't get any reading from a stepper which I though I have... but I did not have it (air recirculation V113), so, problem solved for this one.

I want to remove the defroster V107.

Thanks for the tips for removing the stepper V107 :) I think that it might not be as hard as I though in the beginning.

Last edited:

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
Come on Vasco..........

do-it.jpg

Jack, this one also suites on me :)
I am the one saying that it is impossible to remove de defroster and you are Vader who "encourages" me :)

Last edited:

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
Jack, this one also suites on me :)
I am the one saying that it is impossible to remove de defroster and you are Vader who "encourages" me :)

Jack is actually one mean "SUCKER" just wants you to be as miserable under a dash board as the rest of us. LOL>, like the guy encouraging you to get married.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack is actually one mean "SUCKER" just wants you to be as miserable under a dash board as the rest of us. LOL>, like the guy encouraging you to get married.

What was that ........Misery loves company........... ? ;)

I don't believe in marriage or creative adhesion contracts.

Just do the right thing or doing the right thing should define a person right?........ and their actions!

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
What was that ........Misery loves company........... ? ;)

I don't believe in marriage or creative adhesion contracts.

Just do the right thing or doing the right thing should define a person right?........ and their actions!

Jack, yeah misery loves company was the point, tongue in cheek, I hate being under a dashboard and applaud Vasco for going there, never any fun.

Yeah, doing the right thing, now my friend that is a topic that we don't have time for here, but would be nice if everyone just did it, you know something in one hand and something in the other, see which fills up first.

Always get a laugh, it is good for the soul, actually releases some enzyme in the stomach which is good. LOL, enjoy the holidays my friend.

Larimore.

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
... I hate being under a dashboard and applaud Vasco for going there, never any fun.

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the support :)

Yesterday a did a little progress and today I am not going to work on the car... It's Sunday and I am already tired from yesterday.

In fact, yesterday I was re-routing the microphone cable because when I installed it I though it was good... but not.

So, I dismantled almost everything on the driver side:
Lateral console panel, bottom panel where the OBD2 port is, pillar A, grab handle, sun-visor and the interior roof lights.

Them I used adhesive cable clips so the cable is no more entangled or hanging around other cables. This way looks more factory!
DQ72z3I.jpg

My second idea is when I remove the headliner (because it's sagging) I will install some plastic tube or hose on the rooftop (driver and passenger side)... that way, it will be easier to install or remove wires from between the headliner and rooftop.

Next weekend I will do some progress regarding the stepper defroster motor.

Last edited:

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
Vasco, I know where you are at, been there numerous times.

IN the end you will say, not doing that again, or not worth it, but there is a saying. You only catch big fish in deep water, and you are there, hang in there. I look at everyday even at my age as learning something, even if what you learned was I'm not going to do that again.

In todays complex world, and cars are truely complex, everything you learn can be applied somewhere else. Most folk gave up on working on their cars 20 years ago, I guess nobody informed you. You are a rare breed, and the likes of the VAG allow us mere souls to venture where we could not go before, all good.

Larimore

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
This is the kind of stuff that I always don't want to do... specially when you use the car everyday and you have to dismantle an whole part just to get another look of what you are trying to repair... and then reassemble it again because you need the car again.

Well, because of that, I have almost of the bottom dash dismantled and it will stay dismantled as it will not affect driving.

Today I did a little more progress. I was able to remove the foot air duct. It is only held with a screw by the left far end. The right end of the duct is just shoved into the main air duct. When I removed the screw the duct just felt. Easy.

Then I removed the bottom lateral console panel. There is a screw that holds that panel near the accelerator pedal. Remove it. Then at the other end of the trim panel pull it down. After loosening the trim pull the trim towards the back of the car.

Then you see the bottom of a metal frame which held in place the gateway.

Now I am stuck at the metal frame. I removed the bottom nut with the gateway in place.

The repair manual says that there are 4 nuts that holds the metal frame. I see only one... the one I removed.

But maybe because I didn't remove the gateway.

I see that the metal frame is hold into some plastic piece. I forced a little bit but the metal frame didn't move that much.

Second approach is to remove the gateway.

For now I am done. I need more patience to resume the repair.

Last edited:

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
Vasco, I know where you are at, been there numerous times.

IN the end you will say, not doing that again, or not worth it, but there is a saying. You only catch big fish in deep water, and you are there, hang in there. I look at everyday even at my age as learning something, even if what you learned was I'm not going to do that again.

In todays complex world, and cars are truely complex, everything you learn can be applied somewhere else. Most folk gave up on working on their cars 20 years ago, I guess nobody informed you. You are a rare breed, and the likes of the VAG allow us mere souls to venture where we could not go before, all good.

Larimore

I think you might be wrong about not getting there another time. We are not here in this forum and other forums to quit.

Like you said: "You only catch big fish in deep water."

Second truth you said: "I look at everyday even at my age as learning something, even if what you learned was I'm not going to do that again."

There is no age limit to stop learning. I have a webpage where I share for free some Arduino projects I made. A couple days ago I received a thank you message from someone in the UK with 83 years old.

The first time is always painful because we have no idea what you are doing.

Yah, yah... We have VCDS, youtube, Haynes Manual, ELSA... but when it comes to pull or push some plastic trim or to find the hidden nut because your car is a different version from the Haynes Manual... you have to be super super super super cautious not to break anything or you have to be a contortionist to find the hidden nut.

The gain is that the second time I need to replace another stepper I can do it almost blindfolded.

I agree with you... for the third time: cars today are extremely complex. If you have a wire damaged inside the dashboard you are *****. Also, the firwmare is copyrighted meaning that you can't cheaply replace an ECU, cluster, immobilizer... How I miss the the carburettor engines.

Reactions: Uwe

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
I did a little more progress.

I was able to remove the bracket and the bottom right nut of the stepper.

You need to be a contortionist to operate in that area and I stopped after achieving a rate of one swearing word per second.

I am now seeing a light at the end of the tunnel so I might try again tomorrow.

6XedEh2.jpg

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
Let's see what we need to do to replace the V107 stepper.

- Remove kick panel. You need to remove 2 or 3 screws. Pull it down. You can remove the light connector and OBD2 port. I did not. I just let it rest on the floor.

- Remove lateral console panel (green). Remove screw. Pull down. Pull towards the back of the car. Loose it up from a holder near the removed screw.

- Remove left foot-well vent (red). Remove the screw marked in red. The piece will just fall.

- Ignore the piece marked in blue.

- Remove gateway from the metal bracket. It is held by two clips. Pry both and remove it. It might be easer if the plug is removed.

- Remove the metal bracket (brown). This is a pain. There are four 10mm bolts. You need to engage the contortionist mode... specially for the top bolts. I recommend using a small ratchet.

- You will find that near the gateway there is a "small plastic piece" that holds some cables near the firewall (brown). The best approach is not to remove the "small plastic piece" from the metal bracket. You can open that "small plastic piece" near where if is held on the bracket. Instead of prying it to open, slide it up or down.

- Then remove the metal bracket and the small plastic piece "in one piece". It might create an illusion that the plastic piece can't be removed from the cables. But inside the small plastic piece there are some "open flaps" and not "closed rings" that holds those cables.

- Take a break.

Ja1AGns.jpg

PS: The metal bracket is stupid. Makes no sense in the car. It is useless. I have 1000 ideas to hold the gateway and those cables without the need of that metal bracket.

Last edited:

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
I did a little more progress.

I was able to remove the bracket and the bottom right nut of the stepper.

You need to be a contortionist to operate in that area and I stopped after achieving a rate of one swearing word per second.

I am now seeing a light at the end of the tunnel so I might try again tomorrow.

6XedEh2.jpg

Vasco, great stuff, pictures of homeless living under airplane wings, and so on.

Now you mentioned seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Actually I have found that is somebody just looking for survivors.:popcorn:

Larimore

Vasco Ferraz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288561
N8Vj1mO.jpg

As you can see below, I already installed a working stepper (I bought a used one).

It is already in its place and the error is gone. For now, I only screwed both right bolts. I am thinking if it worth to bolt the left one. That one was a PITA to remove. I can't image the PITA to install it.

6oDqv4t.jpg

Let's hope that I did not pinch or bend any cable. I do not have any errors. But we all know how damaged cables work... or not work.

Last edited:
Back